PDA

View Full Version : Mud Drag Racing @ Los Pozos PR

AdR
March 31st, 2013, 07:33 PM
I went camping this weekend and we decided that since our camp site had a 1/4 mile straight section of terrain we would have a little friendly drag race :D . My brother in law's on the white XJ Cherokee (my former rig) on the right and my Montero SR is the one on the left.

I took my GoPro and here's the video, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Q_rdQL1vM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wagoneer
March 31st, 2013, 08:09 PM
Haha nice. But here, we call that dirt racing. I didn't really see any mud ;)

That sportage driver a newb? Jumps the start and then misses 2nd gear, lol. And minus points for the fart can exhaust.

AdR
March 31st, 2013, 08:19 PM
Haha nice. But here, we call that dirt racing. I didn't really see any mud ;)

That sportage driver a newb? Jumps the start and then misses 2nd gear, lol. And minus points for the fart can exhaust.

Lol, yeah it's basically dirt. The mud came a little later when we went off roading. My brother in law suffered some carnage to his front bumper while trying to slide/drive through a ditch. :p

We thought the Sportage was turboed but turns out the fart can made some whistling sounds. He did everything wrong he possibility could. :D

Wagoneer
March 31st, 2013, 08:27 PM
How does the montereo do off-road? I've always liked them, and cool that the SR's came with a factory rear locker. They're almost impossible to find up here without holes in the floors and frames though.

AdR
March 31st, 2013, 08:43 PM
It's a pretty capable and reliable rig. Although I do miss the low end torque of the I6 4.0L on the XJ and how light it is compared to my rig. But when it comes to convenience, reliability, features, etc there's no comparison between the two. I have yet to get stuck anywhere even with A/T tires. I think it's biggest negative has to be the weight.

The 9.5 rear end with the air locker, skid plates all around, body on frame construction, great approach/departure angles, wheel wells that fit 35 tall tires without modifications and the fact that it runs 31x10r15 tires from factory means that I don't lose mpg if I keep the stock size. Without mentioning it has a locking transmission which holds the gearing when descending. I'm happy.

BTW. The 1994-1996 3.5L are extremely rare here since they marketed the SR as a 3.0L variation with the overfenders. Mine has no rust anywhere but the paint is not so great. Plus I'm not a fan of chrome. I'm going to need to change a few things. :rolleyes:

pico23
April 2nd, 2013, 05:14 PM
nice. I always liked the Montero. reminded me of a poor man's discovery. I didn't realize they were so 4 wheel capable.

midnightsx4
April 4th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I noticed guys racing bikes/quads without helmets ... Darwin Award anyone?

AdR
April 4th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I noticed guys racing bikes/quads without helmets ... Darwin Award anyone?

Thankfully I've been able to persuade all my friends to suit up and use the proper safety equipment. Unfortunately most people here don't and they are the ones that pay the consequences. Some might get a broken bone here and there while others get a broken neck. It's just the way of life.