PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so: Suzuki to pull out from Puerto Rico, Hawaii and Canada

AdR
March 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I just read from the Suzuki communication published today that it will be pulling out from PR, Canada and Hawaii. Have any of our Canadian friends heard/read anything giving credit to that statement? It appeared on a Suzuki press release.

They have been studying the viability of continuing on this market and they have decidedly pulled out of PR, Hawaii and apparently Canada. :(

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/suzuki-pulling-plug-on-auto-sales-in-pr-82613.html

Avalanche
March 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
US market driven the business in that area. No shipments to the US, no shipments elsewhere there, I guess.
Sad but understandable.

johnsnownw
March 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry guys, seemed inevitable though. Sad day :(

automat
March 26th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I confirm for Canada. sorry the link is in french it's not the the english part yet
http://www.auto123.com/fr/actualites/suzuki-cessera-ses-ventes-de-vehicules-neufs-au-canada?artid=154013

we were told the news just before the press release this morning. from what I understood we will sell 2014 models then we'll have to service these cars for several years.

pico23
March 26th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Sad day, but inevitable unless these were top selling cars I am CA. And honestly, I rarely see suzuki with Canadian plates in NY, and considering the Adirondacks are Quebecs national park to the south ((20% of ADK park visitation is Canadian,25% of trail work is done by Canadians, I see a lot of Canadian cars, none are Suzuki)

Pete the Pirate
March 26th, 2013, 01:48 PM
What about South America?

AdR
March 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM
What about South America?

They will continue to foment their distribution throughout the Carribean and South America.

SX604
March 26th, 2013, 02:08 PM
My stealership already changed over to Mitsubishi a while back. I tried to get a black touch up pen from them for my SX4, but they were all out... I don't like Mitsubishis.

Maddog Marty
March 26th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Yup. I suppose those markets sold U.S. Specification vehicles. Here's the English version:

SUZUKI CANADA INC. (“SCI”) ANNOUNCES REALIGNMENT TO FOCUS ON
MOTORCYCLES, ATV AND MARINE DIVISION
SCI to discontinue new automobile sales in Canada
SCI to protect consumers and continue to fully honour all product warranties
Richmond Hill, ON (March 26, 2013) – Suzuki Canada Inc. (“SCI”) is announcing today that it will
realign its business operations to focus on the long-term growth of its Motorcycle, ATV & Marine
Division in Canada and will begin the process of transitioning out of the automobile business in
Canada. Earlier this year Suzuki Motor Corporation of Japan (“SMC”) confirmed the production and
supply of 2014 model year automobiles to SCI, and this decision will remain in effect. Today’s
announcement follows SMC’s recent decision that, after its 2014 model year, it will discontinue
production of new automobiles for Canada.
Last November 5, 2012, American Suzuki Motor Corporation (“ASMC”) announced its decision to
focus its operations on the long-term growth of its Motorcycle, ATV & Marine Divisions and
discontinue new automobile sales in the continental U.S. Since then, SMC and SCI have been
monitoring market conditions carefully and, after reviewing the long-term viability of automotive
production for Canada, SMC concluded that it was no longer feasible for it to produce automobiles for
distribution and sale in the Canadian market.
SCI remains firmly committed to its Motorcycle, ATV & Marine Division which is competitively
positioned in Canada and will become the focus of SCI’s operations once the realignment is complete.
SCI remains very proud of its high quality motorcycle, ATV and marine products and will continue to
bring to the Canadian market more of the excellent products that its customers have come to know
and expect.
An Orderly Transition Process to Best Serve Customers and Stakeholders
SCI has a long history of standing by its products, which it will carry on through and after its
realignment process. All of SCI’s warranties will be honoured and SCI automobile parts and service
will continue to be provided to customers without interruption through SCI’s warranty and service
dealer network.
SCI will be working with its current automotive dealers to effect a smooth transition from new
automobile sales to exclusively warranty and service operations. To best ensure an orderly transition,
SCI will provide all of its automotive dealers with at least 12 months within which to make the
transition. SCI will continue to import and distribute new automobiles during this transitional period to
meet the continued demand of its dealers and customers.
SCI is not entering into court-supervised restructuring in Canada. SCI’s financial and contractual
commitments will be honoured through and following the transition.
Media Contacts
Bill Porter, SVP, Automotive Sales & Marketing, Suzuki Canada Inc

De Melo
March 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Seen this coming, but as long as the parts are there, what do I care. I plan on keeping the car a long time. No worries here.

pico23
March 26th, 2013, 03:29 PM
That is my theory. If you keep the car till the engine blows (hopefully at a lot of miles) it is irrelevant as long as parts are available. Only issue I see is if you wreck it, depreciation could impact your settlement.

keviiinn
March 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM
hopefully the parts are still there, because from the looks of things, OEM accessories are running out of stock at many places, and dealers can't reorder them. ugh.

pico23
March 26th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but 2013 was the last model year for the current design. And we could get accessories longer than say, Australia. For instance, my hood protector is made in Australia but they haven't been able to order one since 2011...unless they had it shipped from the US (saw this on an aussie forum). So don't be too concerned with accessories vs parts.

Obviously, prioritize your upgrades based on availability. But I really wouldn't be super concerned about repair parts.

Jason
March 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM
My worry is parts. I plan on keeping my SX4 for years and say down the road, after the warranty expires, I need an axle, or radiator, brake calipers, alternator, bearings, gaskets, or other parts that wear out over time, am I gonna be able to get them?

De Melo
March 26th, 2013, 05:49 PM
My worry is parts. I plan on keeping my SX4 for years and say down the road, after the warranty expires, I need an axle, or radiator, brake calipers, alternator, bearings, gaskets, or other parts that wear out over time, am I gonna be able to get them?

You should be able to get them no problem. Suzuki has a pretty good parts net in Canada. Don't worry.

TJinPgh
March 26th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Out of the list of things you mentioned, axles would be the only real thing of concern. Everything else, very few manufacturers make their own anyway.

Brake calipers and alternators are routinely rebuilt so there shouldn't be a problem getting those kinds of parts from your local parts store. Same with gaskets and such.

AdR
March 26th, 2013, 06:06 PM
hopefully the parts are still there, because from the looks of things, OEM accessories are running out of stock at many places, and dealers can't reorder them. ugh.

Not to mention aftermarket is pulling out of the very few items we strive to own. I'm going to have to get a set of coilovers soon just in case. :(

iamclaus
March 26th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Well... this sucks... =\

JAC
March 26th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Knew this was coming, sad just the same. My question is, as dealers transition into other brands, what prevents them from dumping Suzuki parts & service? My local dealer went out of business, and the closest one is now 40 minutes away. There's only 5 left in the GTA now.

Wagoneer
March 26th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Already read the press release this morning. Before I was like -_- and after I was like -_-

It was like reading that the sun was going to rise tomorrow morning. No sh*t!

Time to cancel my extended warranty before it's too late.

n45w73
March 27th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Darn this sucks !!!
I like my little Suzie !
I wish to be able to find parts for many years !

AdR
March 27th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Well Suzuki confirmed that the reason that they're pulling out from Puerto Rico while continuing to distribute to the Caribbean is because we are the only ones that follow the US emissions and safety regulations standards. Suzuki will distribute the vehicles in the Caribbean and South America using the european standards.

This obviously applies to Hawaii aswell. I guess Canada has other regulations which Suzuki doesn't want to meet.

Wagoneer
March 27th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I don't blame them. Our emission regulations are just getting out of hand. And don't let the government fool you, it's not to save the environment, it's more $$ in their pocket.

So are the crash test regulations for that matter. But that one makes sense. The car market is going to start thinning out drastically in the next 10 years and it's going to be a very boring market after that. We're all going to be driving cars with the same engine, same chassis, same suspension, just with a different badge on the front.

pico23
March 27th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah, my biggest issue with Suzuki leaving was we lost another competitor that actually attempted (kind of but not entirely) to sell a different type of car. For the most part we have very few options in the US compared to the rest of the world. Especially, if like me, you actually like compact cars. I just hate driving big cars unless they are really well tuned, and that usually doesn't happen in my price range.

At the same time, I feel like Suzuki never really tried in the US, especially after the 2007-2009 success, and not bringing the swift sport or Jimny over.

Those were two cars that sell well in the US (Swift... Golf, Mini, Festiva) or have no competition (Jimny). Remember there was like a 3 year period that the Samurai outsold Jeeps.

Jason
March 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I agree, if they wouldve brought the Swift and Jimny over I think they wouldve done real well. They shouldve invested in building a manufacturing plant here in the states. Wasnt their success in 07-09 due to high sales of the XL7? I think they had a manufacturing plant in Canada.

Wagoneer
March 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM
It's easy to say that, not so easy in real-life. What they should have done is originally designed those cars for the North American market so they actually COULD sell them here.

pico23
March 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I am not entirely sure. The XL7 sold well, but I believe the SX4 also did.

Keep one thing in mind. Subaru still builds the impreza in Japan, and the XL7 was Suzuki's lowest quality car. It also built the motors in Japan using GM blocks, IIRC.

I really think it just came down to not enough selection. 3-4 cars isn't going to do it, even mini sells more models.

Wagoneer
March 27th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I completely agree. What I said sounded different, I should have stated it differently that they should have originally designed those cars with US regulations in mind so that they would comply so that they were able to bring them over. Not that they should have designed them differently for this market.

What boggles my mind is that they had a full line-up. Swift, SX4, Jimny, Grand Vitara, Kizashi. That's a solid line-up that doesn't compete with eachother at all.

Avalanche
March 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM
The funny thing is that their oldest design, the Jimny, still sells surprisingly well in Europe. In Germany alone a few hundred of them sell every month.
And the car was not designed with Europe in mind at all.

Pete the Pirate
March 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM
People would buy the Jimney like hotcakes here.

Thirty-Nine
March 27th, 2013, 04:48 PM
People would buy the Jimney like hotcakes here.

I would've bought a Jimny in a heartbeat. However, I still think it'd be too much of a risk, since people still associated the Suzuki brand with "rolling over." :rolleyes:

By the way, I have not heard about them pulling out of anywhere other than Canada today. I always thought Suzuki did very well in Puerto Rico.

TJinPgh
March 27th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Knew this was coming, sad just the same. My question is, as dealers transition into other brands, what prevents them from dumping Suzuki parts & service? My local dealer went out of business, and the closest one is now 40 minutes away. There's only 5 left in the GTA now.

Didn't see where you were. I can't speak to Canada, but, here in the states, about the only way that existing dealers can keep from honoring their commitments is to stop selling cars all together.

The place where I bought mine a couple of months ago said that all US dealers are contractually obligated to provide parts and service. If they are continuing to sell cars, regardless of the brand, they apparently have no choice.

Suzuki will continue to reimburse them for anything done under warranty and, they are still obligated to provide parts through at least 2020, so, there is really no reason for the dealers to NOT service for Suzuki. If anything, there's even more reason now than ever because there will still be a market for parts and they'll be the only game in town for some of them.

Well Suzuki confirmed that the reason that they're pulling out from Puerto Rico while continuing to distribute to the Caribbean is because we are the only ones that follow the US emissions and safety regulations standards. Suzuki will distribute the vehicles in the Caribbean and South America using the european standards.

This obviously applies to Hawaii aswell. I guess Canada has other regulations which Suzuki doesn't want to meet.

Well, this goes back to my comment in the other thread about trying to import one from another country. I don't know what Canada's safety and environmental standards are, compared to the US. Mexico and Europe, however, have significantly different standards than we do, as seem in our complete lack of ability to get most diesels here in the states.

It simply wouldn't be worth it to bring most foreign vehicles up to US specs. Sounds like Canada may be in a similar situation.

At the same time, I feel like Suzuki never really tried in the US, especially after the 2007-2009 success, and not bringing the swift sport or Jimny over.

Those were two cars that sell well in the US (Swift... Golf, Mini, Festiva) or have no competition (Jimny). Remember there was like a 3 year period that the Samurai outsold Jeeps.

Agreed. I understood them dropping the Swift in the early 2000s. Gas was still relatively cheap and there wasn't a huge demand for econo-cars. They really should have brought that car back, though, when they brought in the SX4. Virtually ever manufacturer in the country had a fuel efficient hatchback in it's lineup except Suzuki.

While converting the SX4 from AWD to the Sportback was likely designed to fill that segment, a car that only gets about 32 mpg isn't likely to cut it in this market.

I am not entirely sure. The XL7 sold well, but I believe the SX4 also did.

Keep one thing in mind. Subaru still builds the impreza in Japan, and the XL7 was Suzuki's lowest quality car. It also built the motors in Japan using GM blocks, IIRC.

I really think it just came down to not enough selection. 3-4 cars isn't going to do it, even mini sells more models.

The SX4 and even the Vitara sold well in some areas. Here in western PA we were amazed when we heard that Suzuki was leaving because they sell a ton of them here. You see SX4 on the road, everywhere.

Other than the lack of a true fuel efficient option, the fact that larger Crossovers like the Equinox or the Escape are getting the same or better fuel economy than the SX4 and better than the Vitara didn't help them much.

Suzuki never did the engineering work to bring their petrol run engines into the same league as other manufacturers. So, between that and the quality issues they went through in the first half of the 2000s, they were probably the least likely to compete in a market where at least one manufacturer was bound to go out of business.

joelb
March 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM
It was more than previsible after Suzuki pulled out of USA that won't stay in North America.

My wife wants to keep her SX4 until it dies...

Anyway, it's too late, the value just drops with this announce.

Maiden69
March 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM
US market driven the business in that area. No shipments to the US, no shipments elsewhere there, I guess.
Sad but understandable.
This statement is incorrect... the issue with Puerto Rico is that the cars that are sold there are US Spec cars. I was at Dominican Republic last December and the SX4 and the Swift are strong sellers there. I don't know if they will pull from the entire Caribbean but if they do it will be a big mistake with all the sales that I seen in DR, especially for the Swift and the Jimny.

Puerto Rico has always been a strong market for them, and I think the biggest mistake was not bringing the Swift there and here to the US.

johnsnownw
March 27th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Puerto Rico has always been a strong market for them, and I think the biggest mistake was not bringing the Swift there and here to the US.

Could not agree more, the Swift would have sold like hotcakes...it's a real shame.

Avalanche
March 28th, 2013, 12:00 AM
This statement is incorrect... the issue with Puerto Rico is that the cars that are sold there are US Spec cars.
This is what I meant. That when Suzuki thought PR, they thought US.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough :)

AdR
March 28th, 2013, 03:23 AM
I don't know if they will pull from the entire Caribbean but if they do it will be a big mistake with all the sales that I seen in DR, especially for the Swift and the Jimny.

They won't. The corporation that distributed Suzuki to PR are Suzuki of Caribe which are the ones that distribute to the Caribbean and South America. That's the reason we weren't affected by the American Suzuki Corps bankruptcy directly. Unfortunately as we have to stick with DOT regulations being a US territory, they won't chamge the whole lineup just to meet the standards for one measly lousy island.

Suzuki was one of the best sold cars in PR. :(

Wagoneer
March 28th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Has anyone ever been to Bermuda? 50% of the cars on that island are jimny's and swifts and then a few SX4's sprinkled here and there. The only dealership I saw on the island was Suzuki. But then I'm pretty sure they follow British regulations there (it's a brittish colony?)

They also use WRX's as police cars. Yeah, it's a pretty kick-*** island.

Die trying
March 28th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I saw an alto in the bahamas. One of the few pictures i took on my honeymoon.

automat
March 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
we have pretty strict standards in Canada. I wouldn't say it's worse here or in US, but both countries have similar regulations, not the exact same but very similar. as ASMC went bankrupt, SCI (canada) had to find a partner country that had similar regulations as Canada, and couldn't find any. that's why it's not worth it to stay in the canadian market. It's probably the same thing for PR because they drive on US spec. whatever company is managing this country (island?), the supply of "north american spec" vehicles is aborted. they can stay in business in countries where it's less strict, like europe and south america. it's not necessarily the regulations, but the percentage of global units that need these specs to be sold around the world. it's probably less than 1% of total annual production around the world. knowing this, and trying to be objective, it's a smart decision. sad for us, but smart for Suzuki motors corp. in Canada we have a huge country, but no population. Suzuki sold roughly 5400 units in 2012. in comparison the new swift reached 3 million units around the world in less than 10 years. why would you change your assembly line for 5-6000 vehicles when the plant's output is about 25 times bigger?

*EDIT I was told the closest country they got as far as regulations go was australia, but since they are RHD it was not possible to partner with them.*

the future of the north american car industry is not really bright with all these regulations against car makers. I bet Suzuki isn't the last carmaker to leave US in a not so far future. just look back at how things were only 5 years ago. 1 or 2 bad years or an unsuccessful model and you're done.

socarboy99
March 28th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Well this is the icing on the cake...as much as I hate to say it but I think it's time for me to part ways with my SX4. It's been a terrific car in the past 5 years but with NO North American distribution in my opinion, parts WILL BECOME HARD TO GET after the next couple of years. I'm seeing this first hand by desperate Isuzu Rodeo and Trooper owners calling the truck dealership I work at looking for parts for those vehicles because we have an Isuzu commercial truck dealership. I hate to tell them "sorry I can't help you with that request". It will be the same a couple of years from now when Suzuki owners will be calling Suzuki motorcycle dealers looking for parts for their SX4s, Kizashis, & Grand Vitaras only to be told the same thing.

Pete the Pirate
March 28th, 2013, 04:43 PM
It may require more time than you are willing to invest, but scrapyard parts and this club should be able to keep it on the road. (Look at Cuba) I'm guessing all the cars just dropped another $1000 in value so now may not be a good time to unload it.

De Melo
March 28th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Omg people why the mass hysteria, It sounds like the World is ending for some people. First of all Suzuki has a lot more cars on the road then Isuzu. Second of all, Suzuki made it clear they are there till the end in customer support. I read on club Kizashi that Suzuki Canada will honor all warranties till 2025 . Considering my wife and I both drive Suzuki's we are not worried, its daily life as usual.

pico23
March 28th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Omg people why the mass hysteria, It sounds like the World is ending for some people. First of all Suzuki has a lot more cars on the road then Isuzu. Second of all, Suzuki made it clear they are there till the end in customer support. I read on club Kizashi that Suzuki Canada will honor all warranties till 2025 . Considering my wife and I both drive Suzuki's we are not worried, its daily life as usual.

same here. no worries.

Maiden69
March 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM
They won't. The corporation that distributed Suzuki to PR are Suzuki of Caribe which are the ones that distribute to the Caribbean and South America. That's the reason we weren't affected by the American Suzuki Corps bankruptcy directly. Unfortunately as we have to stick with DOT regulations being a US territory, they won't chamge the whole lineup just to meet the standards for one measly lousy island.

Suzuki was one of the best sold cars in PR. :(
Sorry... i posted that from reading the first page... I didn't notice that you made almost the same comment above mine!

automat
March 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM
AdR, do you know how many units it represents annually? just curious to compare the ratio for units per population against canada

AdR
March 29th, 2013, 12:03 PM
AdR, do you know how many units it represents annually? just curious to compare the ratio for units per population against canada

There are a little over 200,000 units sold in 30 years. Don't know the exact figure, but that's over 6K units per year.

CF7
April 2nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
from Globe and Mail Canada.. done...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/suzuki-calls-off-30-year-drive-in-canada/article10361423/

Pete the Pirate
April 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
I just ordered a trans drain washer and a small plastic trim part from the dealer in Bloomington Indiana. No problem. That's where I got my Security System from. They also sell Mitsubishi, the next in line for the US orphanage.

pico23
April 2nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
I just ordered a trans drain washer and a small plastic trim part from the dealer in Bloomington Indiana. No problem. That's where I got my Security System from. They also sell Mitsubishi, the next in line for the US orphanage.

totally agree. i really can't think of anything mitsubishi makes besides the outlander (not a strong seller here in the northeast where awd wagons are popular) and the lancer. again, don't see many.

not that i am rooting for any company to fail, especially one that does try to make different products, but I don't see Mitsubishi around in 5 years.

Ronzuki
April 3rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
My wife and I both DD our cars as well. If the parts demand is present, the parts will find their way here. They'll get more pricey, but it's rare to need anything 'expensive' really. Bigger ticket items that may fail can be had from salvage. Major wrecks are another matter (insurance will total most times anyway if airbags deploy). There's easy money to be made selling parts so that's a no-brainer. I still buy many OE Suzuki mechanical parts (seals, bearings, Tcase parts, whatever I break, etc.) for the 27 year old platform Samurai direct from Suzuki dealers and 3rd party vendors that serve us Samurai owners. Most times the 3rd party vendors know more about Suzuki than the dealers. No worries, solid cars.....you'll get your money's worth out of it if you hold on to it. Warranty will be around for a while, so if you haven't needed it before the 3 yr/ 36K mark, my experience w/ the brand since 1986 indicates you probably won't need it later if you perform the simple required maintenance. Sell/trade them now and you'll lose big. Do what you like, but I'm keeping all of mine. There's nothing comparable out there in this price point that interests me as far as cars go.

Pete the Pirate
April 4th, 2013, 02:54 PM
The new Car&Driver has highlighted a letter on page 8 suggesting that Suzuki follow Tesla's lead and sell cars directly, with no independent- and usually crappy- dealers, only it's own stores that it controls completely. Interesting.

keviiinn
April 4th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I don't know why manufacturers don't just operate their own dealers to begin with. I don't understand why the process of buying cars has to be done through the middle men of independent dealers. dealers should only be around for the used car market. this world would be a much better place if you could buy cars direct from manufacturers and manufacturer run dealers with none of the games that we have to face now.

pico23
April 5th, 2013, 09:41 AM
makes sense to me. really, why do we have dealers. just let me build my car on the Web and pick it up.

obviously you need dealers for service and test drives, but that is about it.

joelb
April 6th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I don't know why manufacturers don't just operate their own dealers to begin with. I don't understand why the process of buying cars has to be done through the middle men of independent dealers. dealers should only be around for the used car market. this world would be a much better place if you could buy cars direct from manufacturers and manufacturer run dealers with none of the games that we have to face now.

Look at this:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/02/why-you-cant-buy-new-car-online

TJinPgh
April 7th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Look at this:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/02/why-you-cant-buy-new-car-online

Politics from both sides no doubt plays a part in this. If you don't have dealerships, you don't have dealer provided service centers either.

All that said, it wouldn't be overly practical for Suzuki to even offer the ability to buy direct even if it were allowed. Unlike most of the other Asian manufacturers, Suzuki didn't have a manufacturing presence here in the US. It would not be cost effective to either Suzuki or the buyer to pay to have a single car shipped here from Japan. Nor would it be cost effective for either to have it fitted with our mandatory safety and environmental components which differ from those elsewhere.

It may have been viable while they were in Canada as Canadian cars would probably be relatively close to the US versions. To buy one in Mexico and bring it here, though? Probably not cost effective.

zythr
April 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM

Not necessarily. Socarboy has a point. In my area the number of dealers dropped from 3 to 1. The 1 now has a monopoly on sales and service. One dealer dropped the whole thing to focus on Hyundai (they even redid their building removing the Suzuki name). The other sold Suzukis and Subarus, then they converted to sales and service, was sold, and now the new owner only is focusing on Subarus. Look for this trend to continue. From a business standpoint, why focus on the very few Suzuki owners when there are many more Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia owners to focus on, esp in the US.

JAC
April 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Not necessarily. Socarboy has a point. In my area the number of dealers dropped from 3 to 1. The 1 now has a monopoly on sales and service. One dealer dropped the whole thing to focus on Hyundai (they even redid their building removing the Suzuki name). The other sold Suzukis and Subarus, then they converted to sales and service, was sold, and now the new owner only is focusing on Subarus. Look for this trend to continue. From a business standpoint, why focus on the very few Suzuki owners when there are many more Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia owners to focus on, esp in the US.

Exactly. What incentive do current dealers have to continue servicing such a small market segment?

SX4rocious
April 7th, 2013, 01:49 PM
the law simply states that Suzuki has to honor the warranties. There is no law stating that the stealerships have to continue to carry Suzuki as a brand. It's actually a genius way for Suzuki to be let off the hook. They state they will always back their loyal customers and they look like the nice guy and appear to be all remorseful. the stealerships realize there is no money in supporting a dead brand and because of the bankruptcy, they are out of their contracts scott-free, so they back out of all things Suzuki and concentrate on other more profitable endeavors. 5 years later, Suzuki remains compliant with the bankruptcy terms, but with maybe 3 or 4 remaining service departments left in this hemisphere, we're left to fend for ourselves and pay for service that would be covered by the warranty, or drive the thousands of miles to the only service center left and pay the monetary equivelent of the service in gas and lodging it would take anyway.... win\win for Suzuki AND the stealerships, meanwhile, we're screwed......

johnsnownw
April 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM
the law simply states that Suzuki has to honor the warranties. There is no law stating that the stealerships have to continue to carry Suzuki as a brand. It's actually a genius way for Suzuki to be let off the hook. They state they will always back their loyal customers and they look like the nice guy and appear to be all remorseful. the stealerships realize there is no money in supporting a dead brand and because of the bankruptcy, they are out of their contracts scott-free, so they back out of all things Suzuki and concentrate on other more profitable endeavors. 5 years later, Suzuki remains compliant with the bankruptcy terms, but with maybe 3 or 4 remaining service departments left in this hemisphere, we're left to fend for ourselves and pay for service that would be covered by the warranty, or drive the thousands of miles to the only service center left and pay the monetary equivelent of the service in gas and lodging it would take anyway.... win\win for Suzuki AND the stealerships, meanwhile, we're screwed......

Sx4's don't come with rotary engines. They don't have any special maintenance requirements. I just don't see it being that big of a deal. I could of course be completely wrong, but I sure as hell hope not.

Pete the Pirate
April 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I'd say any shop that specializes in Japanese cars can figure out anything on a Suzuki. There could be a week delay on common parts, two if they are hard to find parts.

zythr
April 7th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Now you're getting it. This probably partly explains why the dealers are slowly backing out of providing service for the cars. They, don't want to either wait a long time to be compensated for any warranty work, or not get paid (or the parts) at all.

zythr
April 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Sx4's don't come with rotary engines. They don't have any special maintenance requirements. I just don't see it being that big of a deal. I could of course be completely wrong, but I sure as hell hope not.

Maybe not now, but probably in the future. Suzuki will probably be totally gone, (parts and otherwise) from North America by 2020.

zythr
April 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I'd say any shop that specializes in Japanese cars can figure out anything on a Suzuki. There could be a week delay on common parts, two if they are hard to find parts.

Could be, especially if they're not making money from reliable and not need to be serviced as much, Toyotas and Hondas.

SX4rocious
April 11th, 2013, 05:21 AM
When I owned a car audio shop, there were fees involved in being an "authorized dealer". I'm not sure, but I would be willing to bet that there are some stipulations to being and authorized Suzuki service center that most dealers just aren't willing to meet even after the bankruptcy. Thinking as a businessman, why would you? True, any import specialist should be able to figure out any real issue with our cars, but I'm sure our warranties will be useless in a year nationwide. Mine already is given the nearest dealership is 80 miles away, and I give them a few more months and they'll drop Suzuki also....

johnsnownw
April 11th, 2013, 08:00 AM
When I owned a car audio shop, there were fees involved in being an "authorized dealer". I'm not sure, but I would be willing to bet that there are some stipulations to being and authorized Suzuki service center that most dealers just aren't willing to meet even after the bankruptcy. Thinking as a businessman, why would you? True, any import specialist should be able to figure out any real issue with our cars, but I'm sure our warranties will be useless in a year nationwide. Mine already is given the nearest dealership is 80 miles away, and I give them a few more months and they'll drop Suzuki also....

I think it would matter more which area of the country you live. I'm not saying we're immune...but this area only has 2 dealerships in the TC, and they both sold quite a few cars. This guarantees them clients for 4-7 years (warranty time period.) So, I don't see an incentive not to stay a service center. The one that I go to is becoming a used car lot for the other dealerships in the auto-group. So, that may be one special exception.

pico23
April 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I think once they become a service center, they are contractually obligated to service for the length of the contract. That would be my guess. And I bet breaking the contract cost far more than keeping it.

my only real fear is that suzuki takes forever to payout, and these service centers give us the run around trying to avoid repairs under the warranty.

I also expect suzuki didn't charge an arm and a leg for this. my guess is that in low volume markets they might have even had to give incentive. in higher volume markets, the income might be worth it.

Fogg's by me, for instance, has a lot of volume to service, and it was solely a suzuki dealership + used cars. So this deal might be a big thing for them.

Advantage seems like they couldn't care less about Suzuki repairs, which is ironic considering I am sure the made a lot off those Zuks as the #2 dealer in the country.

All that said, not a single non wear and tear (tires, brakes, shocks, struts) on the 2008. 7000 miles into the 2013, nothing seems wrong. I expect 100k trouble free besides the above and a clutch.

Wagoneer
April 12th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Well, I'm off to try and cancel my extended warranty. I've been told by everybody I should have no problems in doing so, but we'll see.

I figure with all my mods if anything major actually goes wrong they're bound to blame it on something.

AdR
April 12th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Well, I'm off to try and cancel my extended warranty. I've been told by everybody I should have no problems in doing so, but we'll see.

I figure with all my mods if anything major actually goes wrong they're bound to blame it on something.

You've just made me question why I have one myself (with all the mods and stuff) . I'm going to see to it as well.

Samus
April 12th, 2013, 06:04 AM
I live in Canada and Im scared as hell for my new 2013 sx4... It doesn't even have 4000 km on it... I purshased all the waranties you can have including the replacement of the car if it gets totalled... wonder if they will honor these warranties :S

johnsnownw
April 12th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I live in Canada and Im scared as hell for my new 2013 sx4... It doesn't even have 4000 km on it... I purshased all the waranties you can have including the replacement of the car if it gets totalled... wonder if they will honor these warranties :S

Well, if I'm not mistaken, those wheels may be cause to void your powertrain warranty. I'm not saying it does void it, but that it will give fodder to the dealership to deny it.

Die trying
April 12th, 2013, 08:03 AM
So in canada there is nothing equivalent to the magnuson moss act? If that were the case the dealership could void the warranty for just about anything.

zythr
April 12th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I think once they become a service center, they are contractually obligated to service for the length of the contract. That would be my guess. And I bet breaking the contract cost far more than keeping it.

my only real fear is that suzuki takes forever to payout, and these service centers give us the run around trying to avoid repairs under the warranty.

I also expect suzuki didn't charge an arm and a leg for this. my guess is that in low volume markets they might have even had to give incentive. in higher volume markets, the income might be worth it.

Fogg's by me, for instance, has a lot of volume to service, and it was solely a suzuki dealership + used cars. So this deal might be a big thing for them.

Advantage seems like they couldn't care less about Suzuki repairs, which is ironic considering I am sure the made a lot off those Zuks as the #2 dealer in the country.

All that said, not a single non wear and tear (tires, brakes, shocks, struts) on the 2008. 7000 miles into the 2013, nothing seems wrong. I expect 100k trouble free besides the above and a clutch.

I think it is up to the dealers if they want to continue service (if the money is right, of course). The one that only sales Subarus was a Suzuki service center. They got out of it and practically gave away the Suzukis they had left ($4995 for a 2008 SX-4). Sent an e-mail asking if they were still servicing Suzukis, never heard back from them, take it for what it is worth. These centers will probably stay in business a little while longer, but it is a matter of time before they close shop and focus on brands still selling in NA. That is how the auto business is.

zythr
April 13th, 2013, 04:05 PM
FYI If the service center shares a building with another brand (ie Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc), the owner can sell the building and the new owner is under no obligation to keep the Service center and/or service Suzukis either. Something to keep in mind.

TJinPgh
April 13th, 2013, 07:04 PM
True, but unless the dealer has a lousy reputation and isn't selling anything in any of the brands he carries, why would he sell it?

Realistically, how many Suzuki only dealers are there out there? Some, no doubt. But, given that Suzuki wasn't selling enough cars to make it worth keeping them going here in the US, my guess is that most of the owners that didn't handle any other brands have probably gone under by now anyway as this sales drought is hardly a one year issue.

So, I think it's safe to say that most of the dealers were probably making a living selling other brands or they weren't making a living at all. There would be no benefit to going out of business simply to avoid having to provide service for a car they are still being paid to fix.

Pete the Pirate
May 26th, 2013, 03:53 PM
For what it's worth Ford just announced it was shutting down it's 2 plants in Australia, after 90 years and a great car for Mad Max.

AdR
May 26th, 2013, 08:17 PM
For what it's worth Ford just announced it was shutting down it's 2 plants in Australia, after 90 years and a great car for Mad Max.

Read about that in jalopnik.com. It's always sad when a car company that had an enthusiast following leaves for good.

The Shadow
May 27th, 2013, 06:47 AM
It's always been sad, when a car that you've owned and loved becomes an orphan.

I've had more orphans than I even care to list, although I remember them all, fondly.

It's really comforting, to own a car that's highly advertised, selling like hot cakes at a Lion's Club breakfast,
and loved by the insurance companies as being 'SAFE'.
Being able to pass by more than just one gas station is nice too. (good MPG)

God Bless Suzuki owners, everywhere

:cool:

MitsuMuncher
May 30th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hey Wagoneer and ADR, how did it go trying to cancel extended warranty? I got extended aswell, but I believe mine is through Coast to Coast, and the first 3yrs warranty is through Suzuki... I believe

AdR
May 30th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Mine wasn't a great benefit going through all the trouble as the retroactive refund would have been very low so I desisted from going through the trouble. I would have lost more taking a day off work just to get a less than $200 refund.