PDA

View Full Version : OK, OK..... I was wrong

SX4rocious
February 10th, 2013, 04:45 AM
I happened upon a Subaru BRZ last night on the drive home from work. I freely admit I was wrong about it.... IT'S FLIPPIN BEAUTIFUL!! I was extremely impressed by it's body lines. I still stand firm that I'm not really a fan of the Scion version (yeah yeah, I know they're the same car!!) but I like the Subaru version. The Pearl-ish white paint is a GREAT color too.

I do have one concern tho.... We were both doing about 65mph down the highway, (checking out each other's rides.... it was pretty cool he was actually giving my Zuki props!!) and you could actually see ow rough the ride was. The car seemed to be bouncing all over the place. Has anyone driven one of these? Is the ride really that rough, or did it just look that way? I've passed modified corvettes and Porsches on the highway that didn't seem that rough... Just curious, it's not like they'll ever make one I can fit my wife and 2 kids in anyway.....

twistedcherokee
February 10th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I have to say I like the front of the Scion better & the rear of the Subby. I am also surprised that Subaru didn't go AWD.

Toby

Neezy
February 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM
They went for grassroots sports car. Sporty agile and oversteer when u want. I've been considering the brz for a second car but want to see it boosted.

SX4rocious
February 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I thought the front facia of the Scion was a bit to "girly" personally. I still don't understand why the didn't just leave it a Toyota like EU has. A $30K+ "grassroots" sportscar kinda ruins Scion's cheap, but reliable goal, and no mechanical AWD system is pretty much against everything Subaru was based on. 30 grand ain't to shabby for a good Toyota, but I'll NEVER spend that on a Scion. Just doesn't work for me..... But I still did like the looks of the Subaru!! LOL

AdR
February 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I have to say I like the front of the Scion better & the rear of the Subby. I am also surprised that Subaru didn't go AWD.

Toby

It can't go awd as the boxer engine was dropped really low with the help of NOT having a front driveline. That just tells you how low the center of gravity of that car is.

B-Spec
February 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I have driven a couple of them now and they are not very rough they just hug the road. They are very under powered but the handling is great. I would wait for a turbo version that will be released in the coming year. They are going to bring a turbo version over due to the overwhelming demand by thousands of people so I have been told.

pico23
February 10th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Friend bought one on release, loves it. He actually races it on the track, but it is a daily driver. I think the racing is HPDE, or something.

The idea for RWD only was lower center of the gravity, lighter weight, and if you look at the BRZ it has about 230hp and doesn't weigh much, hugs the road and handles far better than cars like the ford focus ST.

Besides, subaru already makes a WRX and WRX STi, which apparently the BRZ isn't replacing, just complementing in the lineup.

SX4rocious
February 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM
isn't this the only Subie NOT AWD? I always thought that was part of their marketing.....

So how was the build quality? I'm trying to figure out how they justify nearly 30 G's for such a small car when you can get a Hyundai Genisis coupe, Nissan 370Z, or Altima coupe (although not RWD), Honda S2000 (no back seat), or even a pretty well equiped WRX for the same money. Is it all hype? once again, just curious as I can't fit the kiddos in one so I can't have one..... OH, and I read that the Scirocco is coming accross the pond. I wonder if that'll be a hit.

Ghostwolf
February 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
The BRZ is running around 26-27k here in Colorado, which isn't bad, but not great either. It's a fun little car, esp with the 6sp. I would totally have one if I didn't need/want AWD sometimes and if I didn't have doggies. Yes, it is lacking some power, so hopefully the factory turbo edition will help remedy that. Top Gear named it their car of 2012(Ok, it was the GT86), and they have the run of everything fast/exotic/uber-expensive.

B-Spec
February 10th, 2013, 02:00 PM
isn't this the only Subie NOT AWD? I always thought that was part of their marketing.....

So how was the build quality? I'm trying to figure out how they justify nearly 30 G's for such a small car when you can get a Hyundai Genisis coupe, Nissan 370Z, or Altima coupe (although not RWD), Honda S2000 (no back seat), or even a pretty well equiped WRX for the same money. Is it all hype? once again, just curious as I can't fit the kiddos in one so I can't have one..... OH, and I read that the Scirocco is coming accross the pond. I wonder if that'll be a hit.

Yes it is all hype. I am a huge Subaru Fan and I won't be buying one after driving it. There is a lot more to a car then handling. The 200 HP 2.0 is not going to cut it for passing power on a narrow 2 lane road which I drive on a daily basis. I could care less how it sticks to the road because what good is that when the cars that don't stick to the road pass you on the straight away.. It is an over priced trend right now and I would wait a couple years for the refined models to come out and also the turbo version. After that I might take another look at it.

Pete the Pirate
February 10th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Are people getting Celica nameplates from Japan and sticking them on?

AdR
February 10th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Are people getting Celica nameplates from Japan and sticking them on?

Why would they? The BRZ and the FR-S are not Celica's in Japan. The car's JDM counterpart is a Toyota FT-86...

twistedcherokee
February 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM
It can't go awd as the boxer engine was dropped really low with the help of NOT having a front driveline. That just tells you how low the center of gravity of that car is.

If there is a will, there is a way. With Subaru's technology they could do it. Will have to stop by the dealer & look at one. Is the engine in front or behind the front axle line? BMW runs an axle thru the oil pan on there x drives.

Toby

AdR
February 10th, 2013, 04:45 PM
If there is a will, there is a way. With Subaru's technology they could do it. Will have to stop by the dealer & look at one. Is the engine in front or behind the front axle line? BMW runs an axle thru the oil pan on there x drives.

Toby

The engine is far back and down low. See the picture below, there's a skidplate protecting the extremely low boxer engine which sits right in between and slightly back of the front wheels. The only way to put a front driveline would be to push the engine forward. The bmw 6 cyl is in a higher position which permits the driveline to go underneath with a modification of the crankcase.

http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2012/03/Scion-FR-S-Measuring-Session-under-carriage-1-680x1024.jpg

Wagoneer
February 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM
It's 30k because people will pay 30k for it, simple as that.

I drove one a few months ago and the handling is superb. Springs weren't too stiff but it had aggressive dampening, perfect street setup. But I was extremely unimpressed with the engine. The powerband is almost too flat and linear, it's almost boring. And this might be just me, but I barely fit in it. I'm a pretty big guy at 5'10" and 250lbs, but it's not made for a person that size. It's not just the seat or the controls, it's stupid things like my knees hitting the dash, the door and the console and not enough room for my left foot to rest. I might get crap for this from all the fans, the cockpit layout is very much like a Pontiac Soltice/Saturn Sky, and that's not saying much. But the steering and clutch make up for it.

And you think the engine is slow to drop revs in an SX4? Takes twice as long in the BRZ. You kind of have no choice but to burn the clutch between shifts or else they're just plain violent.

I also heard that the STi version isn't going to be boosted, just a higher horsepower and higher compression version of the same boxer engine? That was a while I heard that though, might be old news.

AdR
February 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I also heard that the STi version isn't going to be boosted, just a higher horsepower and higher compression version of the same boxer engine? That was a while I heard that though, might be old news.

I heard that too. But then again there's been lots of pressure from potential customers to provide a boosted version so who knows.

B-Spec
February 10th, 2013, 07:04 PM
It's 30k because people will pay 30k for it, simple as that.

I drove one a few months ago and the handling is superb. Springs weren't too stiff but it had aggressive dampening, perfect street setup. But I was extremely unimpressed with the engine. The powerband is almost too flat and linear, it's almost boring. And this might be just me, but I barely fit in it. I'm a pretty big guy at 5'10" and 250lbs, but it's not made for a person that size. It's not just the seat or the controls, it's stupid things like my knees hitting the dash, the door and the console and not enough room for my left foot to rest. I might get crap for this from all the fans, the cockpit layout is very much like a Pontiac Soltice/Saturn Sky, and that's not saying much. But the steering and clutch make up for it.

And you think the engine is slow to drop revs in an SX4? Takes twice as long in the BRZ. You kind of have no choice but to burn the clutch between shifts or else they're just plain violent.

I feel the same way about the interior, I hate it. I was really really bummed out after driving that car. I heard the same thing about the STI but I guess they are rethinking the whole thing and now everything is pointing toward a turbo. I still doubt I will ever drive one. I would honestly rather have a Genesis Coupe over the BRZ..

SX4rocious
February 13th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I would honestly rather have a Genesis Coupe over the BRZ..

I wholeheartedly agree!! And about the AWD.... Ferrari did it with the 550 (?) I think. I can't remember which model it was, but the had to design a "front transmission" to get 20% of the car's power to the from wheels. It's and awesome setup, although HORRIBLY exspensive. Just using it as an example that low-slung front or mid engine cars can be AWD if you really set out to do so. It really is a cool set up if anyone has the time to google Ferrari AWD.

AdR
February 13th, 2013, 04:48 AM
I wholeheartedly agree!! And about the AWD.... Ferrari did it with the 550 (?) I think. I can't remember which model it was, but the had to design a "front transmission" to get 20% of the car's power to the from wheels. It's and awesome setup, although HORRIBLY exspensive. Just using it as an example that low-slung front or mid engine cars can be AWD if you really set out to do so. It really is a cool set up if anyone has the time to google Ferrari AWD.

You people have to stop comparing sub $30k cars to $100k+ supercars. With enough money anything is possible. For $40k max out the dealers door don't expect it... Living on an unrealistic plateau of expectations is not healthy. :D :rolleyes:

SX4rocious
February 13th, 2013, 11:48 AM
You people have to stop comparing sub $30k cars to $100k+ supercars. With enough money anything is possible. For $40k max out the dealers door don't expect it... Living on an unrealistic plateau of expectations is not healthy. :D :rolleyes:

Hey I admitted it was HORRIBLY exspensive. I just thought it was cool, and stated that if Ferrari can do it, anyone else could too. Besides, if I gave up on unrealistic expectations, I wouldn't have married WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY out of my league!!

punksmurph
February 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM
So I got rid of the Ralliart after the transmission died and took out the engine with it, covered under warranty, but I was never happy with how it drove after that. I got a good amount for it and started shopping around, the BRZ really caught my eye and I started looking for one. There was only one dealer with a BRZ automatic available, and only in Red, when I went to the dealer they had a $3000 markup on the car. MSRP on the sticker was $27,998 and with the $3000 markup the car was over to $31,000 before tax/title/fee's. I didn't get the BRZ, I did get a car but that is for a different thread.

AdR
February 15th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Good thing you didn't. I think people who pay a cent over msrp are idiots. In fact I'd never pay actual msrp for a car no matter what. On msrp the dealer is already making a hefty chunk of cash at your expense, why pay more is beyond my line of comprehension. The car hype price markups don't relate to the actual vehicle value out of the dealer so you end up with a higher depreciation out the lot.... :rolleyes: