PDA

View Full Version : Breaking holiday traditions.

Caterham
December 8th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Every few years, between T'day and Christmas, I've ordered a set of Blizzaks. One year I made the mistake of getting a set of Winterforce. :-O Today, I ordered a set of X-Ice. Couldn't beat the price (set of 4 with taxes, install, balancing, fees, etc.) of a little less than $500. After reading reviews and tests, I think I'll be happy. Will post a review once the winter weather sets in.

LMP
December 9th, 2012, 05:35 AM
... set of X-Ice. Couldn't beat the price (set of 4 with taxes, install, balancing, fees, etc.) of a little less than $500..

I cannot comment on performance, but about price yes: with the mandatory winter tires in Quebec since a few years, the prices here have gone up by hundreds of dollars for same set (surely near $800. ). They know you must buy.... crooks!

EDIT: Hey: check that out:
http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/winter-tires/product/0041830P/michelin-x-ice-xi3/0062031/

..then add installation , balancing , sales taxes (15%) and recycling tax..total over $800...even with the $70 discount shown..

Caterham
December 9th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Yikes!

Wagoneer
December 10th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Yep, we sure do get screwed over for tire prices up here. Actualy, we get screwed over with anything to do car costs up here.

CF7
December 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Yep, we sure do get screwed over for tire prices up here. Actualy, we get screwed over with anything to do car costs up here.

At least you are close to major hubs. often in Toronto one could find cheaper parts.

jelly2m8
December 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM
You will like the X-Ice. I run those on the Grand Vitara and combined with the stability / traction control that thing is amazing in snow / slippery conditions. It is no doubt far more capable in those conditions than our SX4 ( non- ESP) and 08 F150 4x4 both which also run dedicated winter tires.

Stinson Driver
December 12th, 2012, 08:29 PM
We are running Ice tires during the winter on my Wife's MR2 Spyder. Excellent winter tire, in my opinion. And, they seem to wear out less rapidly than the Blizzaks. Let us know what you think.

Blackbelt
December 13th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Never tried the X ice, but i have used Blizzaks. Superb tires. I am currently running WInterforce on my SX4 and am curious why you considered them a mistake, as i have been very satisfied with them.

Caterham
December 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM
They were great on snow, but they were terrible on ice compared to Blizzaks.

Blackbelt
December 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM
They were great on snow, but they were terrible on ice compared to Blizzaks.
Ahhh, i see. That's right, you live in S Jersey(my sister lives there), and you guys tend to get more ice than we do. Most of our winter is snow. I am sure the winterforce with studs would be great on ice, but we really don't see that much ice around here to bother with studding. In snow, they really bite well, actually a little better than the Blizzaks IMO. But on ice, there is no comparison.

Caterham
December 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Yup. I travel on roads that thaw during the day, then the runoff freezes at night. During the winter commute, my trip is in the dark. Studs aren't legal here, so no Winterforce for me.

Blackbelt
December 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Yup. I travel on roads that thaw during the day, then the runoff freezes at night. During the winter commute, my trip is in the dark. Studs aren't legal here, so no Winterforce for me.

Yep, that's why there is a variety of winter tires, and why it is important to match the conditions to the tires strengths. By noe means is the Blizzak bad in snow, it is quite good. But for me, they were almost $200 more than the winterforce, and the winterforce are a little better in the deeper snows we get where i live, plus they pull the hills a little better in that deep snow. I did like the Blizzaks that i had on my AWD caliber. Plus, i found the blizzaks wore very well. I got 4 winters out of them, and they STILL have around 7-8/32 tread remaining. I sold them after i sold my Caliber.
Once you have some miles on the new tires; let us know how they perform for you.

chrisrunsi
December 14th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Yep, that's why there is a variety of winter tires, and why it is important to match the conditions to the tires strengths. By noe means is the Blizzak bad in snow, it is quite good. But for me, they were almost $200 more than the winterforce, and the winterforce are a little better in the deeper snows we get where i live, plus they pull the hills a little better in that deep snow. I did like the Blizzaks that i had on my AWD caliber. Plus, i found the blizzaks wore very well. I got 4 winters out of them, and they STILL have around 7-8/32 tread remaining. I sold them after i sold my Caliber.
Once you have some miles on the new tires; let us know how they perform for you.

I'm also on winterforce and loving them. Have been a little squirmy with the recent warm weather but that would be any winter tire in warmer weather. Can't wait for some deep stuff!!

Caterham
December 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
So far, I'm happy. Better on wet and dry roads than Blizzaks. Better feel too. We'll see what happens when the white stuff falls.

Blackbelt
December 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
So far, I'm happy. Better on wet and dry roads than Blizzaks. Better feel too. We'll see what happens when the white stuff falls.

Thanks for the update. Will be interesting to see how they go in the snow.