PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded clutch line

Die trying
December 24th, 2010, 07:04 AM
So I asked Rob if something like this would be beneficial for our car. He believes it would be. I am posting the link in an attempt to stir up some interest in the part. This would be a nice cheap upgrade to the stock drivetrain and should address some of the complaints people have had about the engagement of the stock clutch.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4_7&products_id=12&zenid=4bbd04ba9239b288a0e724523eb771dd

Schultzey
December 24th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Way to be proactive in getting new products offered for our cars. :thumb: I would be interested in an upgraded clutch line.

ced11
December 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'd def be interested - count me in

anonymous
December 26th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Die Trying, i never even thought about this, AWESOME job and HUGE props for being proactive on getting new stuff made up, no matter the price, ill buy one.

again, awesome job DT!

LVSX4
December 26th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Im in.. prototype tester #3!!

anonymous
December 26th, 2010, 07:10 PM
it would be killer, wouldnt be hard to install either i dont think. ill call my dealer tomorrow afternoon and see what they say about it!

B-Spec
December 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I would be up for one also.. They make a huge difference in the quickness of the clutch and the feel.. 80 bucks though is a little steep IMO..

SchumieFan
December 28th, 2010, 12:10 AM
cheap as chips IMO, but someone has to say its too pricey, cant please everyone.

would be a good upgrade

automat
December 28th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I could have one made for 1/4 of the price. of course it's too pricey!!! it's RRM. find another supplier and cut that price in half, I'll buy 2 ;)

Die trying
December 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM
80 bucks is a cheap date. I have more than that in change laying around my house. I'm sorry you can't afford it.

RRM does mark up their prices but not to the extent you think. Not to mention they are pretty much the only tuner making parts for our sx4. In addition to that, they have a long history of tuning cars and are THE tuner for suzuki show cars. Suzuki Sport does not get those contracts, RRM does. Finally, RRM supports their products. They help their customers with installation questions, they have been known to replace defective products free of charge, and they improve their part line based on customer input and feedback. You get what you pay for.

07suzukisx4
December 28th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Count me in.

chrisrunsi
December 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Count me in as well. I hope this will work for the 2011's. Hint hint RRM.

Thanks!

07suzukisx4
December 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I wonder if there is a difference between the 07 and present.

ptrudel
December 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM
If it's good for a 2010, at 80 bucks I'd be in

automat
December 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM
there is a difference... I don't know if they use the same hose ends, but it's definitely not the same part in 2010-2011

Wolfe787
December 31st, 2010, 10:18 AM
the mitsus have a dampening thingy in the clutch line that smoothes out the clutch operation (bad for performance) so the upgrade is almost mandatory. I will be changing my clutch soon (Spec Clutches will be making one for me and maybe even a flywheel, lets keep our fingers crossed) and a clutch line along with proper clutch fluid is the best upgrade you can make to your clutch. Hope that it comes out cheaper than the brake lines

PS: to anyone REALLY interested. Any capable hydraulic shop could make one for less than $30 with the proper fittings ;) oh and remember that we dont need SS braided, the new vynil braided is more than adecuate to take clutch duties

automat
January 4th, 2011, 11:25 AM
the SX4 also has this damper in the clutch line. heck maybe the mitsu line would work on the SX4, there's a lot of parts that are mitsu-made on suzukis.

chrisrunsi
January 4th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Is it possible to remove the dampener? It is near the ends we could probably just drill it out or something right?

Wolfe787
January 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
imma check with my friend RON through facebook, he haves a ralliart and is a info freak, he would know ;)

I will hopefully get online again soon enough :) and post results of my interrogation

anonymous
January 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM
hope all the people out there that say they are into it, are ACTUALLY into it. looking out for rrm's sake. i think they should find a way to make them one off's, and raise the price a little more than 80 bucks. more like 100-150 or so.

Die trying
January 5th, 2011, 09:12 AM
some of the feedback I have gotten off line suggests that this may not be profitable for RRM unless people are interested in doing this upgrade for cosmetic reasons.

THIS IS UNPROVEN but I have it from a good source that we MAY be able to remove the damper and reinstall the stock clutch line without it. I have looked at the diagram from the manuals and it does appear that the damper can be removed from the clutch line but reinstalling the line without the damper will depend on the fittings. AGAIN THIS HAS YET TO BE PROVEN.

I am going to communicate this to Rock as well.

anonymous
January 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
badass DT!!!! let us know, if he wants pre orders to make sure people are legit, im 100% down.

Schultzey
January 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM
badass DT!!!! let us know, if he wants pre orders to make sure people are legit, im 100% down.

+ 1

Die trying
January 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I pm'd him what I found out. I will let you know what he says as soon as I hear back.

automat
January 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
here's what "the source" has to say :hi:

I removed the damper to check if the hose ends were the same, well it turns out they are. the hose is kinda short but it will connect to the elbow shaped bleeder housing without the damper. now i just finished work, i'm going home without the damper to try it.

Die trying
January 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM
there you have it folks, straight from the horse's mouth.

(if it were me, people would say it's straight from the horse's ***)

anonymous
January 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
right on man! thats slick! glad we are making new ground with it!

automat
January 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
so anyone still wants to pay $80 for a performance clutch line??? of course if you're going for the looks you could have one made, but if you're all-go no-show like me you don't need fancy braided lines

Wolfe787
January 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
i wouldnt even use stainless braided anymore... WAY over rated and overpriced... nylon and even kevlar braids are cheaper and more apropiate solutions.

I wouldn't mind this being a DIY free job (remove damper) OR DIY pay for parts job (buy new line and install it)

This dampers are placed to help make cars more civilized and get better emissions.... so it makes sense to remove it.... or you go around wearing clothing with pricetags and stickers saying you are green because you use wool from the back of a oversized dead rabbit in the east continent of Pluto the planet that is never more?

automat
January 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think it's overrated, it has it's uses. but a cheaper nylon braided hose would do on a clutch line. If I find a fitting that goes in the bleeder hole I might put a pressure gauge in there to show that we really don't need another hose. the one we got is plenty strong. it's not like anyone here sports a 3000psi pressure plate on their clutches :hi: besides, the elbow the hose connects to is made of plastic

SchumieFan
January 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
i don't think it's overrated, it has it's uses. But a cheaper nylon braided hose would do on a clutch line. If i find a fitting that goes in the bleeder hole i might put a pressure gauge in there to show that we really don't need another hose. The one we got is plenty strong. It's not like anyone here sports a 3000psi pressure plate on their clutches :hi: Besides, the elbow the hose connects to is made of plastic

+1
thank you!

Wolfe787
January 6th, 2011, 06:24 AM
so you are runing now "damper-less" automat?

Die trying
January 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Automat can you throw together a small "how to" on this? I am most interested to see how you bleed the clutch line. I'm sure it's in the manual but I would like to see how you, an experienced mechanic, did it.

Also, are the fittings common enough that we could pick up something from a hardware store to replace the damper so the clutch line still has the slack that it did from the factory?

automat
January 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
hardware store? no. as for bleeding you have to be 2 persons to do it. press the clutch, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, release the clutch (it won't come up on it's own, this is normal)

honestly, I never bleed them on the SX4, air bubbles find their way in the reservoir line by themselves. one trapped air bubble won't change the release bearing travel much. for the purpose of removing the damper I don't think you would need to bleed it. but that's the lazy mechanic speaking. in theory you should always bleed a hydraulic circuit when you open it. to undo the hose there's a small locking clip, you pry it up but not completely. it will release the hose end. for reinstalling press back on the locking clip, then push on the hose until it clicks.

automat
January 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
so you are runing now "damper-less" automat?

yes, but I don't see much of a difference. I want to beleive the clutch is crisper, but it's -10C outside, the fluid is thick, and my clutch was already slipping with the turbo so I can't say it has all the grip it should have. I'll have to compare with my wife's SX4 instead. test drive it with and immediately after without the damper.

chrisrunsi
January 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Awesome news. I wish my car was more than 2 months old otherwise I'd be messing around and trying all this stuff out. I'm used to working on a 97 neon where I don't care if an experiment doesn't work lol

automat
January 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
these news don't apply to a 2010 or 2011 anyways... I took a quick look at a 2010 earlier today but I couldn't see all the line because of the air filter. the hose looks very short and I don't see a damper.

Die trying
January 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Automat thank you for doing the research and volunteering to be the guinea pig for the DIY option. I also believe that this is the first free performance mod mod for the sx4. I will add it to the list of known performance upgrades. I still have not heard from Rock but I would imagine that since we can do the mod for free he will probably decide not to offer a line for sale. I cannot say for sure, but that is my gut instinct.

again, thank you.

Any other free mods you can dig up? :)

automat
January 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
remove the front sway bar for better traction on rough terrain

ptrudel
January 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
these news don't apply to a 2010 or 2011 anyways... I took a quick look at a 2010 earlier today but I couldn't see all the line because of the air filter. the hose looks very short and I don't see a damper.

What would this damper look like if it were there? Providing there would be one, I could make up my own line with crimp fittings on a good hydraulic hose here at work and be done with it...

automat
January 10th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I took a look in the EPC, there's no removeable damper. My guess would be that if there's one it must be part of the elbow joint where the bleeder is. it would probably need to be drilled. One would need to investigate further on his own car to confirm this. I don't see myself playing like that on customers cars :hi:

Die trying
January 10th, 2011, 02:05 PM
test post

SX4_FUN
March 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hey automat can you help an idiot like myself identify the damper? I'm also slipping now and then under boost and I'd like to give this a shot. I see two line inputs on the transmission, but without someone helping me I don't know which one is the clutch and which is the shifter. I see a little metal cylinder running in-line right before the transmission mounting bracket on both lines...is that what we are talking about here? 2008 SX4 AWD here btw.

automat
March 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM
no metal cylinder, it's a rubber hose tied to a plactic fitting.

does it slip while rolling? removing this won't help.

SX4_FUN
March 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Where is the hose and fitting, under the car? I'm not familiar with the hydraulic routing on this car. The clutch works perfectly in 1st gear, slips a bit in 2nd, but 3rd see's the most slippage. If I'm in 3rd gear say around 3k RPM's and I floor it the tach will rise to about 5k and hold...slipping the clutch as the car pulls forward. It doesn't slow me down at this point, in fact it actually acts like a CVT putting the car in the powerband for longer, but I know the clutch will eventually wear completely likely within the next 2-3k miles. I started feeling/seeing the issue at about 20k miles...currently at 22k.

automat
April 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Like i said, you need a stronger clutch. Removing the damper won't help your kind of slippage.

But i guess you want to try it anyway. It's not under the car, it's right on top of the transmission... Maybe your turbo is in the way?

Schultzey
April 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Here is a picture of the line.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5617546797_48a8e14ea3_m.jpg

JDMdrew
April 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
80 bucks for a quality piece count me in ...IDK why everyone compains of RRM prices **** is pretty cheap IMO

if your poor go to ebay and buy china man ****

automat
April 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM
If you're rich you can buy my new book - how to remove the damper on your clutch line - which is on sale right now, only 80$.

Die trying
April 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
seriously, you can remove the damper in 30 seconds and the only tool you need is your thumbnail. slide the two retainer clips up, remove damper, reconnect hose, and enjoy.

that's brake fluid in there so don't get any on your paint.

in light of recent events I just don't see RRM making a braided line for us but it's so easy to remove the damper I don't think anyone would buy it if they did.

sorry to spoil the ending Automat.