PDA

View Full Version : Studded snow tires...would you do it again??

FLdudeinUtah
October 12th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Ok, so I've settled on a tire, and it's studdable. I was originally thinking that I could see how the tire performs on it's own, and stud them down the road a month or two if I was finding trouble getting up to ski resorts and such. But now I'm being told by local tire guys that you pretty much have to stud them right from the start, otherwise the holes fill up with little rocks and crap and you can't do it.

So, my question is...of the people who have driven on studded tires, what are they like when there is no snow on the ground? I mean, we get plenty of snow here, but there are dry spells too, and I drive 20 minutes one way on the interstate to work each day... Concerned about noise, and also stud wear if there is not actually any snow? I don't want to put studded tires on at the end of October, then have the studs be worn out in December when I really need them! LOL

My budget won't allow me a complete second set of wheels right now, mainly because that means a second set of TPMS sensors, and that makes the whole package out of reach.

Thanks, Bill.

DennisN
October 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Can't you just omit the TPMS sensors for the studded snows?

Pete the Pirate
October 12th, 2012, 08:54 AM
They skate on cold dry pavement, make a racket and are illegal in some states. But they are great on packed snow and ice.

Blackbelt
October 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I run 2 sets of wheels, one doesnt have the silly TPMS. So the light comes on, so what? No big deal. On the Kizashi, it's a nightmare, but on the SX4 it's no big deal.
As to studs. If you tend to encounter a fair amount of ice during your winter driving, then get them. If it's mostly snow, then don't. I have had them and they are a little noisy, but they will not wear that quickly, even on dry roads as long as you drive conservatively.

Black Knight
October 12th, 2012, 10:38 AM
On dry pavement they sound like your driving over a swarm of angry hornets. I had them for two winters in NY...liked them, sold the car. Haven't had any since. They bite in the ice, but like Pete said they can skate on dry cold pavement. Mostly, I didn't like the noise.

Just to be sure....put them on all four. If you put them only on the front and hit the brakes in snow or ice the car will try to swap ends. The front tires will stop and the rear tires will still be sliding...snapping you into a spin.

Wagoneer
October 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM
If you live somewhere where the roads are regularly paved, they completely aren't worth it. Anywhere in southern ontario you're basically driving on salt in the winter, not ice, so they'll probably perform worse in those conditions than regular snow tires.

I've done ice races on frozen lakes with a buddy one winter. Yes studded snows are ABSOLUTELY needed when racing on ice. The studded snow tire class was about 20 seconds faster a lap than the non-studded class, and we're talking about 1:20 lap times. We all drove home on regular snow tires. Go figure...

And it's either all four studded or no studded. Don't be an idiot who runs a set of snows on the front and all-seasons on the back. Those are the people that end up in the ditch and are pulled out by people with four snow tires.

yakfishgoguy'11
October 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I love my studded tires. Got mine used from a buddy, good deal and well worth it. If you need to stop quickly on dry pavement they dont do the best, but haveing them on, my car no longer feels like it may spin out- the short wheel base on these cars just makes me feel like it will spin easily (like my old VW) but with the studs on, it becomes very sure footed, and no worries of spinning in the snow and ice.

B-Spec
October 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Ok, so I've settled on a tire, and it's studdable. I was originally thinking that I could see how the tire performs on it's own, and stud them down the road a month or two if I was finding trouble getting up to ski resorts and such. But now I'm being told by local tire guys that you pretty much have to stud them right from the start, otherwise the holes fill up with little rocks and crap and you can't do it.

So, my question is...of the people who have driven on studded tires, what are they like when there is no snow on the ground? I mean, we get plenty of snow here, but there are dry spells too, and I drive 20 minutes one way on the interstate to work each day... Concerned about noise, and also stud wear if there is not actually any snow? I don't want to put studded tires on at the end of October, then have the studs be worn out in December when I really need them! LOL

My budget won't allow me a complete second set of wheels right now, mainly because that means a second set of TPMS sensors, and that makes the whole package out of reach.

Thanks, Bill.

I lived in SLC for many years and IMO you do not need studded snow tires in the city. I don't think it is worth it to get studded snows just to drive up the canyon a couple times a month. If you lived in Park City or Heber then maybe but not in the city. They are terrible on dry pavement and SLC salts their roads so much that there really isn't a snow pack for very long..

Pete the Pirate
October 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Sometimes they come out and hit the fender well like a .22 short. In older cars it was funny. They were all metal.

FLdudeinUtah
October 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM
LMAO! Great advice everyone, thanks! I think I have pretty much talked myself out of the studs at this point, last year I was driving a Mazda 3 with 225/40 tires. this year I'll be in the SX4 with AWD and four snow tires, so I should be SO much better off! Enough so that I plan on getting up in the canyons to enjoy the winter this year...look for pics!! :)

Wagoneer
October 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Driving an AWD in the winter after driving a FWD or RWD car will feel like you're driving something on tracks. Getting stuck in my RWD Volvo 740 turbo with 4 winter tires was a regular event in the winter. Just remember AWD doesn't do anything in the ways of turning or stopping ;)

polarbear
October 14th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Wagoneer--- dont forget= studs will get U a ticket in South Ontario !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Wagoneer
October 14th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Wagoneer--- dont forget= studs will get U a ticket in South Ontario !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
And thank god for that. Our roads are bad enough without people running around on studded tires on dry pavement. But in saying that, I'd much rather them NOT salt the roads and bring back studded snow tires.

And even though they're a ticketable offense, I know many people who still run them and swear by them.

They're kind of like prostitution. It by itself is not illegal, but everything surrounding it is illegal :P

DennisN
October 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Having a cheap set of steel wheels for studded snow tires is the best deal. You can put them on and off the car in a few minutes for those few weeks when they really help out but put regular tires back on outside that period. Studded tires are legal in Idaho from IIRC Nov. to April but too many nitwits drive them that whole time period on mostly dry pavement going "crunchy crunchy crunchy crunchy" down the pavement.

Thirty-Nine
October 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I've used studded tires since moving to Oregon in 2006. We get frosty roads here and while dedicated winter tires are better than all-season tires, studded dedicated winter tires are even better in the ice. Last year was the first that I left them on all season (Nov. through April). I don't think I'll do that again. I will switch over when I need, then take them off again. They are loud on the highway, and leaving them on all "stud" season wears them down faster.

But yes, I like them.

PS - I have a set for sale in the classifieds!

The Shadow
October 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM
For years, I drove Company cars, in all kinds of winter weather, in Central Illinois, with NO snow tires and NO studs, chains, or any other winter driving assistance.
We had All-Weather tires for ALL Weather. In later years, at least we had cars with front wheel drive, preferable in bad weather.

I never bought snow tires for my own cars either. The only weather I didn't drive in, was when the snow was too deep for me to get out of my driveway.

On an ice covered road, I did slide right on past one small town, one day. Now, that was embarrassing!

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

Caterham
October 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Bro lives in State College PA. Going up and down the mountains you hit everything. Snow at the top, rain at the bottom and ice on the slopes. Studs are a life saver.

FLdudeinUtah
October 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I agree with DennisN. If it was up to my budget and storage space, I'd have three sets of wheels with three sets of tires mounted on them. Some nice alloys for summer driving, some snow tires on steel wheels, and then a set of studded tires on steel wheels, for those days when I'm going adventuring up into the mountains locally. Once you get past the base of most canyons here, you lose phone service, so you REALLY don't want to get yourself stuck. A long walk out of the mountains is bad enough in warm weather, but doing it in single-digit temps and in heavy snow could be downright deadly!