PDA

View Full Version : handling question. vibration around turns?

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 09:54 AM
So when I accelerate while turning I get some vibration in my steering wheel? Is this normal. Kinda feel like the wheel is spinning but no screahing sounds?

EastCoastSX4
December 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Check to make sure you dont have a bent rim and also check your wheel balance...

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Check to make sure you dont have a bent rim and also check your wheel balance...

Not the rim and how do u check balance and how does a tire get outa balance?

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
It only happens at higher speeds.....

Darrenf
December 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
how does a tire get outa balance?

Hitting a curb will do it.

SchumieFan
December 20th, 2010, 11:23 AM
yeah you might have dropped a weight from a wheel... does it feel like the left or the right?
take it into a tyre place, (if youve recently bought tyres take it back to the same place) ask them to do a wheel balance

Caterham
December 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Might want to check to see if the lug nuts are tight. Out of balance wheels often show up at specific speeds. So it well could be the balance.

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I was told that is probably "tourque steer"?? What do u think?

My1stCar
December 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Why not slow down? I bet it fixes it

Die trying
December 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
So when I accelerate while turning I get some vibration in my steering wheel? Is this normal. Kinda feel like the wheel is spinning but no screahing sounds?

is this from a dead stop or are you at speed while in a turn when you accelerate?

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
J
is this from a dead stop or are you at speed while in a turn when you accelerate?

Its when im driving. Im slow turns it is fine. Its ONLY at speeds. Not wreckless speeds, but "in a hurry speed"...its not a huge deal. Its does not feel like something is broken, I just notice some vibration while turning at speed .. ?

apint2
December 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Its when im driving. Im slow turns it is fine. Its ONLY at speeds. Not wreckless speeds, but "in a hurry speed"...its not a huge deal. Its does feel like something is broken, I just notice some vibration while turning at speed .. ?

This is your post:
I wasnt speeding/driving wreckless. Please dont reply I you are going to judge my driving. I was unfamiliar with the road. I accidently rode the drivers side of the car up onto the curb......here is a pic to descride. The STRAIGHT red line is where the mishap occured.....I havent experienced any noises or mis alignment issues...she still drives straight. Just dont want to drive with anything messed up. Any thing the might be damaged to look for? The car did not phiscally scrap the cement.... THANKS!

Die trying
December 20th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Ok. It could be any number of things. I would start by making sure the lug nuts are properly torqued down, the id move to having the wheels balanced and make sure to inspect your suspension and steering components while you have the wheels off. If your problem persists it may be worth while to have the car looked at by a mechanic. You might also consider taking a new sx4 for a test drive to see if you feel the same vibrations. You could try taking your relitive's sx4 sedan for a spin but i would suggest driving a crossover to serve as your control.

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
This is your post:
I wasnt speeding/driving wreckless. Please dont reply I you are going to judge my driving. I was unfamiliar with the road. I accidently rode the drivers side of the car up onto the curb......here is a pic to descride. The STRAIGHT red line is where the mishap occured.....I havent experienced any noises or mis alignment issues...she still drives straight. Just dont want to drive with anything messed up. Any thing the might be damaged to look for? The car did not phiscally scrap the cement.... THANKS!

It has been doing this for a long time....I noticed it last summer....? How much is a wheel balance?

SouthJerseySX4
December 20th, 2010, 04:55 PM
How much is a wheel balance?
The auto place i went to charge me $20 to balance my two front wheels. Did wonders for the car; lost a balance weight.

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
The auto place i went to charge me $20 to balance my two front wheels. Did wonders for the car; lost a balance weight.

It really did help? How many miles did u have on the car when u had it done??? I will take it tomorrow to get a balance and to get everything looked over. They said they will look at the "CV Joints" and inspect everything while im there...

SouthJerseySX4
December 20th, 2010, 06:58 PM
It really did help? How many miles did u have on the car when u had it done??? I will take it tomorrow to get a balance and to get everything looked over. They said they will look at the "CV Joints" and inspect everything while im there...

30k miles. It completely removed vibrations I was getting when I drove parkway speeds (65+). There was another issue with my axle that I need to bring to the dealership for, but that was slow speeds while reversing.

rubicon4wheeler
December 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I was told that is probably "tourque steer"?? What do u think?

I think whoever told you that has no idea what he/she is talking about. I think you probably bent a wheel or lost a wheel weight when you hit the curb a while back. I think a mechanic could take one look under your car or take it for a test drive and tell you immediately what the problem is.

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I think whoever told you that has no idea what he/she is talking about. I think you probably bent a wheel or lost a wheel weight when you hit the curb a while back. I think a mechanic could take one look under your car or take it for a test drive and tell you immediately what the problem is.

Great! I plan on going in tomorrow @ 7am. Tire Kingdom has great hours and great prices. I can hopefully get it done in 40 min before work :) Ill let yall kno!!

SX4DUDE2013
December 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
The car was looked at and driven today. The shop believes that due to the speed of the turn, weight is applied to the front wheels due to major body roll. When turning and taking the turn at a high rate of speed the tire is kind of "skidding" "scraping" the road. No noise or squeaks and everything looks fine. They said it will help too upgrade to grippier tires and it will also get better after I install my rear sway. Overall its a since of relief...thanks for everyones comments :)

SchumieFan
December 21st, 2010, 04:20 PM
:facepalm:

sx4inlv
December 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
The car was looked at and driven today. The shop believes that due to the speed of the turn, weight is applied to the front wheels due to major body roll. When turning and taking the turn at a high rate of speed the tire is kind of "skidding" "scraping" the road. No noise or squeaks and everything looks fine. They said it will help too upgrade to grippier tires and it will also get better after I install my rear sway. Overall its a since of relief...thanks for everyones comments :)

Ah......"understeer"......rear sway should help you out...or put you in a ditch....up to you to learn

Darrenf
December 21st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Ah......"understeer"......rear sway should help you out...or put you in a ditch....up to you to learn

I have never seen a car (or sway bar) put a person in a ditch. Vice-versa however....

jute2003
December 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
haha, man if you don't consider making your tires skid on turns aggressive driving I want no part of ever riding with you anywhere.

LVSX4
December 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Power steering pump? Cv boot?