PDA

View Full Version : acceleration differences???

SX4DUDE2013
December 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
So I drive a 2008 2wd hatch. My step dad drives a 2009 sx4 sedan. I drove it today and it seems a lot quicker? Is this due to a major weight difference or because of ecm software differences? It is it just me? Lol. Both are autos....

grkacl
December 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
the weight will play a really big difference in speed

Capoken
December 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think there is a huge weight difference. Probably less than 100 lbs? maybe your air filter is dirty. are they both automatics?

SX4DUDE2013
December 18th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I don't think there is a huge weight difference. Probably less than 100 lbs? maybe your air filter is dirty. are they both automatics?

yes. I just clean my K&N air filter 800 miles ago. lol. Yes, both are autos...?

Speedlvr
December 18th, 2010, 11:04 PM
The 09's don't have the CVT do they?

And the weight diff is about 200 lbs.

Oh and you've ragged on yours aa bit longer.LOL:hi:

markolson
December 19th, 2010, 06:45 AM
His = no mods
yours = lots of stuff added (more weight) - different tires - whatever.

The sedan may have different final gear ratios that could make a difference too.

PaulD
December 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
And the weight diff is about 200 lbs.

Both are 2WD so the weight diff is only about 30 lbs. Fold and tip back seats and heavy hatch v's boot lid.

anonymous
December 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
maybe the gravitational pull in a sedan is greater than that of a hatchback......your foot MAY seem heavier in the sedan seeing as how its not yours to rip on? :hi:

SX4DUDE2013
December 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
maybe the gravitational pull in a sedan is greater than that of a hatchback......your foot MAY seem heavier in the sedan seeing as how its not yours to rip on? :hi:

VERY TURE!! lol. it aint mine so I drive it to ****! lol.
GET THIS!!!! He has my old $550 rims and comes to me and says
"I think I need new tires". lol.
The tires have 20 miles on them and are NEVER driven on the interstate. lol. I said "have u rotated them"?
He said "no, not sine u did last time"..
I said "hows the pressure"?
He said "i dont know" (WTF!!)
I checked the tire pressure....they were @ 26psi!!!!!! he drives 55mph on tires that have 26psi in them?!?!!? ****!!!

So i kindly bumped them up to 38psi and 2morrow i will make and appt fot an oil change and tire rotation..
The car is a 2009 and has had ONE oil change with 12,000 miles!!! It hasnt had a new air filter either...prob need one in about 5,000 miles...its crazy!!!

anonymous
December 19th, 2010, 08:52 PM
well, i hope the oil is synthetic....because theoretically you never have to change synthetic haha (ill fight anyone to the death on that statement. im right, your all wrong :hi:)

i love driving peoples cars...especially when they arent mine :hi:

stfm
December 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
well, i hope the oil is synthetic....because theoretically you never have to change synthetic haha (ill fight anyone to the death on that statement. im right, your all wrong :hi:)

Theoretically huh

anonymous
December 20th, 2010, 06:58 PM
synthetic oil does not break down in your engine. the only thing that can go wrong with synthetic oil is that it holds engine metal flakes and shiz. sat through an hour long conference on oil breakdown and exposure. learned a lot about synthetic oils and the reason why they should be used over normal oil. was pretty informative

SX4DUDE2013
December 20th, 2010, 07:26 PM
synthetic oil does not break down in your engine. the only thing that can go wrong with synthetic oil is that it holds engine metal flakes and shiz. sat through an hour long conference on oil breakdown and exposure. learned a lot about synthetic oils and the reason why they should be used over normal oil. was pretty informative

o lord. ur one of those peeps. haha. and no, his oil is normal, not synthethic...lol.

anonymous
December 20th, 2010, 07:29 PM
that sucks dude. should probably have gotten that changed a while ago :hi:

PaulD
December 21st, 2010, 01:14 AM

How long did you listen before you fell asleep? :P

"Synthetic oil" is the carrier for the various additives used for anti-wear and anti-corrosion. Those additives break down or wear out. You'd have to do something to remove the contamination and replace the worn out additives.

Die trying
December 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
PaulD just let him blow his motor up. some people have to learn the hard way

The Shadow
December 21st, 2010, 07:00 AM
Ya know?..... some people will blow up their engine and get it replaced under warranty and go right back to their @#$%!* ways.
It's enough to make a grown man cry!

By 12,000 miles, the car would be ready for oil change #4.
And if the air filter was not going to be changed, it should at least be vacc'd out.

Oh well, that's the kind of drivers that keep all the repair shops and mechanics in business.
Keep up the good work!

:cool:

Die trying
December 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM
Let us know when he is ready to part it out.

anonymous
December 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM
****it. he should chuck the engine, and throw in a Busa' engine...that thing would REALLY rip :hi:

rubicon4wheeler
December 21st, 2010, 11:01 AM
****it. he should chuck the engine, and throw in a Busa' engine...that thing would REALLY rip :hi:

No it wouldn't. Those 'Busa engines don't produce any low-RPM torque. The car would hardly be able to get itself moving. It would be a hoot once it got going, but in terms of actual driveability, it would be a nightmare.

TomC
December 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM
Acceleration difference between Hatch & Sedan morphs into dino vs synthetic morphs into upgrading the whole engine.
:popcorn: