PDA

View Full Version : Ureka! REAR SHOCKS THAT FIT AND WORK AWSOME!!!!

mcmuda
November 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Went through whatever I could find in that thread.

Monroe 5987!!!!

Valving is MUCH better. And they are the Sensa Trac so they tighten up.

WORKS BRilliantly with RRM or other lowering springs.

READ: STOCK SHOCKS with 1" drop springs ONLY HAVE 2" of UPTRAVEL!!! OUCH!

5987 are 1/2" shorter than stock. Trust me, you don't need it. SX4 wins Worlds Longest Shock award.

But they allow for 5.5" of up travel over stock shocks! That's 3" more.

Not sure what car they goto but they work AWSOME! I'll post pics later today.

My cost was $78 for the pair after 6% sales tax
http://www.simplistiksoftware.com/files/0606101322.jpg
Stock shock on right, Monroe fresh out of the box on left.
http://www.simplistiksoftware.com/files/0606101323.jpg

Fully extended lengths. As you can see the Monroe is shorter, but only a tad.
http://www.simplistiksoftware.com/files/0606101323a.jpg
This shows the lower mount. The Monroe is thicker. Even with the RRM rear sway bar the lower shock bolt attached just fine. That bolt is never moved but if you want to throw some thread locker on it, wouldn't hurt. Those who feel the bolt will fall off unless threads show, you can take the OEM bolt to the hardware store and get a similar thread/pitch bolt that is thinner.

As of this edit I have put over 1100 miles on my car (hence the NEED for new shocks) since Saturday and I checked the bolts last night before I left for Va. TIGHT.

mcmuda
November 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
More

Double Ureka!

"Monroe 5987 Volkswagen Shock Absorber $36.15
Volkswagen Jetta 2003-2004 .Sensa-Trac Shock-Absorber, Rear, Sold Individually, Position Sensitive Dampening For Drivers Who Want Greater Handling And Increased Comfort, Groove Tube Technology For A Smoother Ride In A Wide Range Of Driving Conditions.
Engine: 2.0L, 4 Cylinder, Gas, Fuel Injected, AVH
Chassis: Jetta, GL, Station Wagon"

So ANY SHOCKS for a Rear 2003-2004 Jetta, DONE! Anyone willing to X-Ref this car to the part numbers for KYB, Bilstein, etc... THANKS.

STICKY MAN, STICKY THIS THREAD!

Oh, YOUR ALL WELCOME!

Now why in the HELL couldn't RRM, our beloved aftermarket Suzuki shop not find this info out? And WHY the hell didn't they figure out the RRM Springs (not made by them BTW) will NOT work without different shocks... Get off your azzes boys and get to work.

EDIT: Whatever shock part#'s you guys find I'm going to add them to THIS post, K. If I make an error, PM me. And can the Wiki guys copy this info end of the week. We should have all the part numbers by then. Also make note of the 2003-2004 Jetta Sedan 2.0L being the compatible Rear shock application.

One note about installation. These Monro's did NOT come with a lower washer for the upper mount (read again). So you need a 3/8" Fender washer or a shock washer. The stock one will not come off. I had some SS Fender washers here so I used them. Also I flipped the rubber bushing on the top of the top mount (inside the trunk) from convex to concave and reused the stock bolt since it was in the trunk already with me. Just made it easier to start threading. Once it's squished and taught stop wrenching on it.

Rear shock part numbers:
Monroe: 5987 (CONFIRMED : Note: 3/8" Fender Washer needed to replace factory washer on the Bottom of the TOP MOUNT)
KYB: 343280
Gabriel: 69450
Bilstein: F4-BNE-2942-BG
Koni (Sport - Yellow): 80 2761Sport (Adjustible Shock)

Aus/Oz Owners:
pedders 8189 (CONFIRMED) : Install Note (suxsx041 member): The only fitting problem i had was that i had to use the existing top steel bush and trim 1/4" off it and also used the existing rubber bushes all in all it took me about 1 hour

Audiopudding
November 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
A question asking for clarification: These work with a 1" lowered SX4. Do they work with a stock SX4 (non-lowered)?

mcmuda
November 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
A question asking for clarification: These work with a 1" lowered SX4. Do they work with a stock SX4 (non-lowered)?

I'll look through the thread once again and post it here. I know there was one person who put them in their lifted SX4 too.

punksmurph
November 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
I made this post a sticky because it was super popular and a great resource for many on the forum.

polarbear
November 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Does anyone with access to Suzuki part numbers know if they put different rear shocks in the 2010 awd? When I bought, the sales guy told me the car had "European Tuned Suspension" and the car does seem to have a firm but not harsh ride! Maybe cause I dont have big miles on it yet, but I'm happy with the stock ones. 2010 SX4 awd 6 speed mt.

07suzukisx4
November 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I put the Monroe (the ones for the toyota Echo) on my stock hight suzi about a month ago. The car feels like it is planted better then it did w/the stockers, they are a little noiser over larger bumps but not much more than the stock. The install was simple, did it in an hour with jack and stands in the parking lot of my apt. I got them for Rockauto $60.55 for both rear shipped.(google a coupon code they always have one)

mcmuda
December 2nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I put the Monroe (the ones for the toyota Echo) on my stock hight suzi about a month ago. The car feels like it is planted better then it did w/the stockers, they are a little noiser over larger bumps but not much more than the stock. The install was simple, did it in an hour with jack and stands in the parking lot of my apt. I got them for Rockauto $60.55 for both rear shipped.(google a coupon code they always have one)

Thanks for the feedback 07suzukisx4.

I'll be picking up some today.

mcmuda
December 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
I used a promo code I found online and got $20 off. I paid a total of 58.43 total w/tax

mcmuda
December 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Question for everyone out there.

Do I use the lower rubber bushing from the stock shock? Is that the bumpstop?

apint2
December 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
No. The bushing on the Monroe is wider but it will work fine. The bumpstop on the stock shock is on the shaft under the plastic shield.

mcmuda
December 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
No. The bushing on the Monroe is wider but it will work fine. The bumpstop on the stock shock is on the shaft under the plastic shield.

Oh ok cool..so I use that lower rubber bushing?

Do you know the size of the acorn nut? I kinda sorta lost it..

mcmuda
December 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
So, I loaded up the car with 5 roll away bags, a FULL size steel tire (spare), 2 bottles of washer fluid, 2 cases of drinks, and my siblings in the back seat (2 of them). Also including me and my mom sitting in the front (me driving).

The car BARELY has any space between the fender and tire. When i hit a HUGE dip, the wheels actually rub. But on normal bumps, they do not rub.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs696.snc4/63603_476022308467_512723467_5433363_6664678_n.jpg

plrbear
March 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hey there! Need some help here please.

I'm driving an '07 SX4 Hatchback in Singapore, and we've got the 1.6L VVT engine FWD standard here. I'm trying to find replacement shocks for the car, which will match my Tanabe NF210 lowering springs (lowers the car by 1" all around).

Any chance someone could let me know what the stock part numbers are for the Suzuki shocks, so i can see if they're similar to the 1.6L's? This will help so much for the UK/Japan spec owners who are thinking of upgrading their suspension setups. Thank you so much! :-)

mcmuda
March 7th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hey there! Need some help here please.

I'm driving an '07 SX4 Hatchback in Singapore, and we've got the 1.6L VVT engine FWD standard here. I'm trying to find replacement shocks for the car, which will match my Tanabe NF210 lowering springs (lowers the car by 1" all around).

Any chance someone could let me know what the stock part numbers are for the Suzuki shocks, so i can see if they're similar to the 1.6L's? This will help so much for the UK/Japan spec owners who are thinking of upgrading their suspension setups. Thank you so much! :-)

I don't think the springs would cause any problems in terms of shock fitment.

Try taking a gander at this: http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5

Download the shop manual. The part numbers should be there. My guess is, download the full version and look through there.

plrbear
March 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I don't think the springs would cause any problems in terms of shock fitment.

Try taking a gander at this: http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5

Download the shop manual. The part numbers should be there. My guess is, download the full version and look through there.

Thank you so much mcmuda! The shop manual will be a valuable resource!

I know the springs will fit without a hitch, I'm just not sure if the stock shocks will be able to handle them. Besides, my stock shocks have over 60,000miles on them, so i'm starting my search for better replacements.

Finding parts for the 1.6L model in Singapore's pretty hard, so we'll have more options if the part numbers with the US model match up. Some merchants here have even resorted to installing Swift Sport coilovers and passing them off as SX4 "ready", which doesn't work because the valving for the rear shocks are totally different. Sad to say, I had to experience that first hand.

Saw your post on the Monroe Sensatracs, which sparked my curiousity. :-)

mcmuda
March 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Thank you so much mcmuda! The shop manual will be a valuable resource!

I know the springs will fit without a hitch, I'm just not sure if the stock shocks will be able to handle them. Besides, my stock shocks have over 60,000miles on them, so i'm starting my search for better replacements.

Finding parts for the 1.6L model in Singapore's pretty hard, so we'll have more options if the part numbers with the US model match up. Some merchants here have even resorted to installing Swift Sport coilovers and passing them off as SX4 "ready", which doesn't work because the valving for the rear shocks are totally different. Sad to say, I had to experience that first hand.

Saw your post on the Monroe Sensatracs, which sparked my curiousity. :-)

You're welcome :).

Oh wowie the Swift coilovers actually fit? Which ones did they install on your car?

I had to install the Monroe's since I commute ALOT plus my SX4 is lowered on H&R's. The Monroe's are noisier but it feels a bit tighter in the back. I can't complain too much cause I got them pretty cheap.

plrbear
March 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
You're welcome :).

Oh wowie the Swift coilovers actually fit? Which ones did they install on your car?

I had to install the Monroe's since I commute ALOT plus my SX4 is lowered on H&R's. The Monroe's are noisier but it feels a bit tighter in the back. I can't complain too much cause I got them pretty cheap.

Oh trust me. They may fit, but the damping performance for the rear will be piss poor - imagine your car's rear end hopping over bumps in the road round a sweeping corner...not good.

When you describe the Monroe's as noisy, what sort of noise are we talking about? H&Rs reduce the ride height by about 1.5" with the Sports?

mcmuda
March 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Oh trust me. They may fit, but the damping performance for the rear will be piss poor - imagine your car's rear end hopping over bumps in the road round a sweeping corner...not good.

When you describe the Monroe's as noisy, what sort of noise are we talking about? H&Rs reduce the ride height by about 1.5" with the Sports?

Noisy as in, when the car hits a bump. You can hear them "working". And yes, it dropped it about 1.5"

plrbear
March 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Noisy as in, when the car hits a bump. You can hear them "working". And yes, it dropped it about 1.5"

I see. That's normal for gas filled absorbers. Had a look through the electronic parts catalogue, and if i'm not mistaken, here's what i've gathered from quite an elaborate e-parts catalogue! :P

The YA41S (2.0L FWD Hatchback), shares the same rear shock as the YA21S (1.6L FWD Hatchback), and the YB11S (1.5L 4WD, Model Unknown). Part number for the rear shocks is: 41800-80J01. Was the 2L FWD Hatchback available in the US market back in 07/08?

On a side note, it seems the brake systems are the same as well, which is good news for us here! :-)

TRS
March 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
The 2008 2.0L FWD Hatchback was available in a few select US markets, the Chicago area being one of them. I had a 2008 2.0L FWD Hatchback and the part number stamped on the OE KYB rear shocks was 41810-80J21. Besides OE replacements shocks, KYB listed their "Excel-G" 343811.

plrbear
March 9th, 2011, 04:04 AM
The 2008 2.0L FWD Hatchback was available in a few select US markets, the Chicago area being one of them. I had a 2008 2.0L FWD Hatchback and the part number stamped on the OE KYB rear shocks was 41810-80J21. Besides OE replacements shocks, KYB listed their "Excel-G" 343811.

Thanks for your input TRS!

My bad. I was looking at the Asian spec 2.0L FWD models. However, on the US spec 2.0L FWD Hatchbacks are listed as having a part number of 41800-80J21 in the Suzuki E-parts catalogue, and the part number you supplied doesn't exist in the system! Weird. LOL! This is all so confusing.

Might make sense to use a higher rated shock for the 1.6L though, since the factory pieces are quite soft. I don't suppose it'll do much harm since the mounting points are all the same.

comptonasscraig
March 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
So does this mean we can use mk5 jetta coilovers????

Wyliec
March 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
You mean MK4 Jetta. I don't know if the spring will seat the same at the rear, and the fronts would be incompatable as the mount at the knuckle is totally different. At any rate, I don't think the VW shocks will even work anyway. There seems to be a bit of misinformation in the original post.

OK, the original list up top is totally screwed. I have no idea how Xwired came up with it, but at least he did find us one that works. I know it has been pointed out before that the Monroe 5897 number given is for an Echo and not a Jetta. The two are not compatable. The Jetta shocks are shorter with less travel, and have 10mm lower mounts whereas the Echo shocks are 12mm which obviously fits our cars since they have been installed already by some. This is directly from the Monroe catalogue. So the Jetta 5984 shock reference can be ignored unless the lower mounting hole was bigger than the bolt on the 5987's. Also, the cross reference given to Koni's, KYB's, and Bilstein is wrong as it is for a Jetta and not an Echo.

10 minutes of searching has given me this list of compatable Echo shocks, and the specs of both the 5987 vs 5984:

5987 - compressed length is 16" extended is 26.25" travel is 10.25" lower mount is 12mm, 1-1/2" wide.
5984 - compressed length is 16.5" extended is 25.75" travel is 9.25" lower mount is 10mm, 1-5/8" wide.

As you can see, it is 1/2 inch shorter, with an inch less travel, and would bottom out half an inch sooner.
The correct cross reference and part numbers for Echo shocks would be as such:

Monroe 5987, so far proven to work.
KYB 343295, Echo, GR-2
Koni 80-2827, Sport, Yellow, adjustable
Koni 8050-1053, STR.T, Orange, non-adjustable
There is no Bilstein option for an Echo.

GINGE
August 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Digging up an older thread just to keep it all together.

I went to install the Echo shocks into my SX4 last night. How did you all fit this? I cant get the metal sleeve off the old shock so in turn cannot get the washer or dust cover either. I've installed the new springs with the standard shocks for now but its on the stops, making this a back breaking car over bumps.

Any help on what overs here have done will be appreciated

Cheers
Matthew

zukiuki
August 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Take a carbide drill bit and drill out the stake in the sleeve and it will come right off.

GINGE
August 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM
i'll have to go buy one then. cheers for the reply

Wagoneer
September 26th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Here's a walk-through to installing the Monroe Sensa-trac #5987 shocks. It really is easy and as close to a direct swap as you're going to get.

Take the plastic covers off in the trunk and you'll be staring at the exposed upper shock mounts.

Driver's side:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010871.jpg

Passenger side:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010872.jpg

Hold the top of the shaft with an adjustable wrench and loosen the nut with a wrench (a ratcheting wrench works really well for this part) until it's just barely holding on (to stop the shock from falling when you take off the lower bolts later). Then go underneath the car and once again hold the one side with an adjustable wrench and unbolt the nut (15/16" socket).

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010873.jpg

Once you undo the nut completely from the top the shock will be free and you'll be left with this after you take off the bushing and drill out the pressed on bushing shaft:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010874.jpg

After that it should just be able to just thread it off. It helps to once again hold the end with an adjustable wrench. After the dust cover is off you'll have this:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010875.jpg

Then just slide off the bump-stop.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010877.jpg

Then simply transfer everything over to the new monroe's. I left the giant washer off that was in between the dust cover and bushing so you'll have some extra room to play with later. It's also not needed as the dust cover has a built-in washer at the top. When the shock is put back into place it should look like this (note: I left the lower bushing unmodified since this is the one that takes the most beating):

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010878.jpg

Then go back underneath the car and bolt the shock to the bottom shock mount:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010879.jpg

Then all you have to do with the top rubber bushing is shave off the convex side of it. You can use a hacksaw or a dremel with cut-off discs, but I used my angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. I wouldn't do it again though since I clogged up my spark shield with melted rubber. It was pretty easy to clean up after it dried up though. Then put everything back together using the supplied nuts that came with the monroe shocks (you use these because they're lower profile which allows you hold the top of the threaded shaft with an adjustable wrench while you tighten the nut - the original nuts are too tall to allow you to do this). You'll be left with this (note: I tightened it down until I could just barely see the threads coming through the nut so that I knew I had full coverage):

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/P1010880.jpg

Then repeat on the other side and you're done! For my review of these shocks and my rear setup, check out this thread:

http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4219&page=3

kaoseighty9
October 5th, 2012, 06:38 PM
i rub a little on the inside fender plastic but i'm lowered was wondering if any one else noticed only on hard bumps with car empty

mcmuda
October 5th, 2012, 07:35 PM
i rub a little on the inside fender plastic but i'm lowered was wondering if any one else noticed only on hard bumps with car empty

Been running these shocks for about 60k (I need to replace them) and they're holding up well. I used them with my rear Tein coilovers and it's a decent match. I'm just saving the Tein shocks for track use.

I don't rub at all..and I'm dialed on the lowest setting :)

kaoseighty9
October 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
wow not at all? i'm spaced out flush but i got the grip springs and i didn't rub before i put on the sensatrac shocks

GlassShadow
October 22nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hello guy im new here. watching this topic for a while.. My gf got an stock 2009 sedan and it's time to change the rear shock !

I did made some research.

So if i am correct 5987 would be good for stock replacement .

BUT the 5987 is for an 2000-2004 Toyota Echo
And the 5984 is for an 2000-2004 Volkswagen Jetta (Both sedan)

And that's for the Monroe OE Spectrum
And the Jetta around here is the DOUBLE price. (Volks) for barely the same shock.

So just wanted to know if i am correct and just to correct the first post . It could induce new like me in error. Hope to find soon front shock.
:)

Suk SX4
October 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
KYB has distributors in the US...specs...http://shop.hyperauto.ru/up/doc/KYB_eu_cars.pdf

GlassShadow
October 23rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
Exept we are not sure for sedan ! I also love monroe for their lifetime waranty ! Ill order the echo ones.

mcmuda
October 23rd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Exept we are not sure for sedan ! I also love monroe for their lifetime waranty ! Ill order the echo ones.

I bought the 5987 for my sedan. I haven't had any issues with it..

frosty85
October 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
ok got my new shocks in the mail the other day and plan to install them tomorrow, everything looks easy enough. My only question is i do or i don't need to modify the rubber bushing at the top of the shock?

Wagoneer
October 29th, 2012, 02:51 PM
ok got my new shocks in the mail the other day and plan to install them tomorrow, everything looks easy enough. My only question is i do or i don't need to modify the rubber bushing at the top of the shock?
My walk-through post pretty much explains everything.

Some people claim they were able to thread the nut without modifying the bushing, I was not able to.

frosty85
October 30th, 2012, 01:43 PM
ok job went well thanks for the how to wagoneer, i had to cut the rubber bushing in half in order for it to work but other then then the jobs was almost to easy lol

zukiuki
October 30th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Planning on installing these shocks in the future? Without cutting the rubber bushings in half? Just take the top washer an put a slight concave in it. This allows plenty of thread exposed so the you an start the nut. Notice that the nut is threaded completely on to the shock with extra thread protruding through.
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5200/dsc0020ju.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/dsc0020ju.jpg/)

GlassShadow
November 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the pic !!!

grey
November 5th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hi guys,excuse me if i'm not presented yet but if you want to find other alternatives to SX4 dampers you can search also for the Fiat Sedici,i think that's they are the same
http://www.ebay.it/itm/1x-Fiat-Sedici-1-6-SUV-4WD-KYB-REAR-Shock-Absorber-06-10-343812-/271090616535?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1e4288d7

grey
November 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SX4-GY-Bilstein-B4-Rear-Shocks-Absorbers-1-6-1-9-4x4-DDiS-VVT-/271078278378?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1d8644ea

DennisN
November 7th, 2012, 04:07 AM
That Italian link contained the information that it's a KYB # 343812 in the Excel-G line.

I checked a KYB catalog and it says that part number is for both Sedici and SX4 rears.

HotWheels
November 7th, 2012, 11:12 AM
This is nice. :)

SeanBonham
November 7th, 2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SX4-GY-Bilstein-B4-Rear-Shocks-Absorbers-1-6-1-9-4x4-DDiS-VVT-/271078278378?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1d8644ea

Bilstein's for the SX4? Could this be true?

grey
November 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I hope that could be useful...
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default.aspx?58=1&38=68400724&36=854&14=4&32=19547&10=CDEDB557D3EDDC80E040A8C01E3E5FFD018004&12=140

CF7
November 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM
just a question SX4 hatch has a curb weight of 2900 ls..ECHO is only 2020 lbs.. can the ECHO shocks handle the weight?

Wagoneer
November 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM
just a question SX4 hatch has a curb weight of 2900 ls..ECHO is only 2020 lbs.. can the ECHO shocks handle the weight?
That's the ridiculous part, the SX4 is heavier and has weaker/softer rear shocks.

Sensa-traks are also load sensitive, so they have a much larger range or applications for the same shock. And yes, they're a perfect match and can handle MORE weight than our OEM rear shocks.

CF7
January 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
What about front strut replacement?

You posted in the wrong thread...I believe there is another thread for the front.

AdR
January 19th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I installed mine today. It's definitely a challenge with the swaybar and strut bar but went in nonetheless. I immediately noticed the difference in dampening rate just taking it out of the driveway. All of those that have TEIN lowering springs know how bad the rear becomes with stock shocks.

B-Spec
January 19th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I installed mine today. It's definitely a challenge with the swaybar and strut bar but went in nonetheless. I immediately noticed the difference in dampening rate just taking it out of the driveway. All of those that have TEIN lowering springs know how bad the rear becomes with stock shocks.

How did the lower bushings on the shocks fit with your rear sway bar installed? Did it go in OK or was there some trimming needed?

AdR
January 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM
How did the lower bushings on the shocks fit with your rear sway bar installed? Did it go in OK or was there some trimming needed?

It went in ok although I had to use an impact wrench to compress the bushings a little to have the nut threads fully engaged. Not a big deal as the rubber deforms and actually makes a "locking" feature to the nut but I was really worried when I saw the bushing's width.

B-Spec
January 20th, 2013, 11:35 AM
It went in ok although I had to use an impact wrench to compress the bushings a little to have the nut threads fully engaged. Not a big deal as the rubber deforms and actually makes a "locking" feature to the nut but I was really worried when I saw the bushing's width.

OK good to know. Thanks for the info. I was wondering the same thing about the width of that bushing. Now that I know it will fit on I will order up a set. I have over 100K on the stock shocks and that includes getting air born everyday after work..:hi:

SeanBonham
January 20th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Couldn't you just buy longer bolts for the bottom of the shocks? Pardon my ignorance on this, never changed a set of shocks before.

AdR
January 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Couldn't you just buy longer bolts for the bottom of the shocks? Pardon my ignorance on this, never changed a set of shocks before.

The stud is welded to the torsiůn beam. What goes in is a nut.

SX4rocious
January 21st, 2013, 07:19 AM
and that includes getting air born everyday after work..:hi:

I would love to carpool with you..... just once!!

B-Spec
January 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
I would love to carpool with you..... just once!!

I drive a road with serious dips and no traffic ever so it is a fun ride for sure.. :D

CF7
January 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
Have anyone tried KYB 343295? want to share your installation experience and ride performance? I can get kyb much cheaper than monroe?

AdR
January 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Have anyone tried KYB 343295? want to share your installation experience and ride performance? I can get kyb much cheaper than monroe?

Try them and let us know! Someone has to ve the Guinea pig and take the first plunge. You could always return them if they don't work.

zukiuki
January 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
I put KYB's on mine and it improved the ride and handling significantly over the stock shocks. There is way less rebound and they keep the rear of the car planted when you encounted any dips or speed bumps. Due to the gas charge, they have a tendency to be a little noisy but it's tolerable. All in all, it's well worth the $$$.

B-Spec
January 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
Try them and let us know! Someone has to ve the Guinea pig and take the first plunge. You could always return them if they don't work.

I will order a set up and give it a whirl. Looks like the bottom bushing is much thinner than the Monroe so it might actually work out better.

SeanBonham
January 22nd, 2013, 12:49 PM
This makes them seem slightly promising http://http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/kyb-gr2-excel-g-review-83374/

mcmuda
January 25th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I installed these back in '11 without any mods lol. So far they're still holding up!

CF7
January 25th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I installed these back in '11 without any mods lol. So far they're still holding up!

you did not cut the barrel (bushing) on both sides?.. wonder if it is a good idea to trim them?

Just picked up 2 kyb...for 44$ each here..total $100 with tax.. Monroe is 68$..each..

added photo

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq220/CF7_2009/sx4%20car/DSC00134_zps3d92dda3.jpg

AdR
January 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM
you did not cut the barrel (bushing) on both sides?.. wonder if it is a good idea to trim them?

Just picked up 2 kyb...for 44$ each here..total $100 with tax.. Monroe is 68$..each..

I didn't find any way of keeping the bushing intact for the top. I didn't cut anything on the bottom.

mcmuda
January 26th, 2013, 02:25 AM
I didn't have to trim anything..had more than enough threads so I bolted it up!

I remember paying around 60 bucks for a pair of Monroe's lol. I'm just waiting till these go out and then I'll throw on my Tein rear shocks. I'm running the coils in the rear but no Tein shock..I'd rather save it ;)

whitelightning777
February 22nd, 2013, 12:40 PM

Ok, I just ordered a pair of these from amazon. This should prove to be interesting. I already have the RRM rear swaybar & it works great. BTW: when you order from amazon, the default number of units is one and not two, almost clicked before changing quantity.

CF7
February 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4874&highlight=kyb

fyi.

CF7
February 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM
http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4874&highlight=kyb

fyi. add your installation experience..

mcmuda
February 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Found something on le eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-Rear-Shock-Absorber-5845-/380521093911?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASuzuki|Model%3ASX4&hash=item5898d31b17&vxp=mtr

Did Monroe make rear shocks for our car?

Sx4sport2008
March 5th, 2013, 05:04 PM

added photo

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq220/CF7_2009/sx4%20car/DSC00134_zps3d92dda3.jpg

Wait, you bought oem KYB for 44$ each? At the dealer?

CF7
March 5th, 2013, 05:21 PM
not from dealer....from a autopart store. just to remind you this is a Echo KYB.

Sx4sport2008
March 5th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Sorry misunderstood.

Sx4sport2008
March 5th, 2013, 07:24 PM
So there is really no direct replacement other than the Kyb (without modding anything)...

Would you guys drive a lowered sedan on coil overs during winter?

midnightsx4
March 6th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Let me chime in regarding rear shocks.
Some of you say 5987 shock works. I've found it about an inch shorter (I have a set left over from previous car). It will work for lowered SX4.

I'd like to offer an alternative for those who desire adjustable shocks.

Koni makes direct replacement, more like an upgrade, for Monroe 5987.
*It fits because Monroe 5987 can be used in Scion Xa. Koni 80 2827 Sport is direct application for Scion Xa. *

It is Koni P/N 80 2827 Sport.

I hope it helps.

Cheers...

Stinson Driver
March 6th, 2013, 11:56 PM
I put the 5987 shocks into the back a bit more than 20,000 miles ago. They work fine, Midnights. They went in along with a lift kit. I did notice that they were a bit shorter than the stock rear shocks, but then I realized almost all of the "shorter-ness" was in the threaded portion at the top of the shaft. The top of the shiny unthreaded shaft is almost in the same spot as the top of the shiny unthreaded shaft on the stock rear shock. The shorter threaded section makes it hard to get the nut onto the top of the stack of rubber mounting bushings, but I solved that my trimming a little off the bushings.

Because the shock mounted length is determined by the location of the top of the chrome shaft of the shock, the Munroe and stock rear shocks have basically the same installed length. I did put in the RRO rear shock relocation bracket to be sure I did not run out of down travel with the lift kit. Things have worked flawlessly ever since the installation, knock on wood.

midnightsx4
March 7th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Good to know ... if 5987 work, Koni 80 2827 will definitely work...

Thanks ...

Sx4sport2008
March 7th, 2013, 07:34 AM
But theres no current replacement for the front right..? Did you guys already changed the front ones? They seem to be pretty expensive. My car currently has 82 000km and ive been running the RRM grip springs for 70 000km. Car's been bouncy in the last year...Are my shocks going away?

midnightsx4
March 7th, 2013, 08:02 AM
But theres no current replacement for the front right..? Did you guys already changed the front ones? They seem to be pretty expensive. My car currently has 82 000km and ive been running the RRM grip springs for 70 000km. Car's been bouncy in the last year...Are my shocks going away?
Generally it is a least desirable set up stock shocks+aftermarket coils. As far as I know Koni doesn't make front struts for SX4. There are couple coil over choices. For DD I'd go with Tein. The sooner you replace stock struts/shocks, the more enjoyable ride will be .

Cheers ...

SeanBonham
March 7th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I think I will go with the Koni rear shocks at some point. I believe they make an adjustable and a "middle setting" non-adjustable version that is cheaper. They are called STR.T.

Sx4sport2008
March 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Generally it is a least desirable set up stock shocks+aftermarket coils. As far as I know Koni doesn't make front struts for SX4. There are couple coil over choices. For DD I'd go with Tein. The sooner you replace stock struts/shocks, the more enjoyable ride will be .

Cheers ...

Thanks for your input. Im also wondering how harsh the ride would be with coilovers here during winter...At -30 celcius it must be horrible to drive it around here especially since weve got pot holes everywhere(worst roads of north america are here IMO in Montreal qc, canada)

Black Knight
April 6th, 2013, 04:19 AM
With all the discussion about shocks, towing and tongue weight I did a little comparison shopping for rear shocks that should be a bit more robust. My Curt Hitch is on the way, my truck is sold, looking at trailer options. These are all Monroe parts...should be easy enough to cross reference to different manufacturers. I understand the handling will be impacted with a stiffer rear shock. What do you all think?
LS26 = 12MM x 1.5in Bushing and Sleeve

# LOW UP COMP EXT TRAV BOOT VEHICLE
5987 LS26 S1 16.000 26.250c 10.250 No SCION
32305 LS26 S4 15.625 27.250 11.625 Yes F150
34658 LS26 S4 16.000 27.500 11.500 Yes F150
37134 LS26 S4 16.000 27.500 11.500 Yes F150
911134 LS26 S4 16.125 27.500 11.375 Yes F150
911521 LS26 S4 16.250 26.500 10.250 Yes UNK

LS26 = 12MM x 1.5in Bushing and Sleeve
S1 = M10 Threaded Stud
S4 = 3/8 x 16 Threaded Stud
http://www.streetsideauto.com/
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

I posted it in a neat chart...for some reason it gets pushed together once its up

Wagoneer
April 6th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Technically a stiffer rear shock can only help handling. Stiffer rear will be prone to oversteer.

Neezy
August 11th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Ok time to buy some installing on vaca. the stockers are toast, they cant handle mountain twisties . 124000 miles on them too . Dont wory im taking a driving vid this week lol

snowcart
January 28th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Manufacturer listed replacements intended for the AWD HB
Possibly this could get you a slight rise and a bit firmer ride on all four. Honestly, I have no clue but we speculate the North American version is softer and the parts listed below arenít listed or readily available in NA.

Rear Shock

BILSTEIN Part #19-170428
KYB EUROPE Part # 343812
SACHS Part # 312 823 or BOGE Part # 27-I14-A (same?)
Rear Springs

MONROE Part # SP3860
BOGE Part # 2573D0 Only for: Ireland, Great Britain; All-wheel Drive
Front Springs

BOGE Part # 25X150
MONROE Part # Part # SP3858
Front struts

KYB EUROPE Part # 333754 (L), 333753 (R)
SACHS 312 821 (L), 312 820 (R) or BOGE 32-N99-A (L) 32-N98-A R (same?)

List subject to error:confused:

vitus1978
July 5th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I hate to resurrect a dead thread.... but these parts are for a Hatchback or a sedan??

KYB 343295, Echo, GR-2

I have the Tein Coilovers and my rear shock bushing have decided to separate themselves from the shock...

mcmuda
July 8th, 2014, 02:18 AM
I hate to resurrect a dead thread.... but these parts are for a Hatchback or a sedan??

KYB 343295, Echo, GR-2

I have the Tein Coilovers and my rear shock bushing have decided to separate themselves from the shock...

I have a pair of almost new Tein rear shocks for sale :P. They came from the Tein Coilover kit

midnightsx4
July 8th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I do have coils that I got from Mcmuda. They didn't work for my project.
They are available.
Cheers...

vitus1978
July 9th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Just ordered the koni yellows yesterday.... darn it.

SeanBonham
July 9th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Just ordered the koni yellows yesterday.... darn it.
Let us know how they work. Thinking of doing the same. Are you lowered?

vitus1978
July 9th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Oh im lowered alright....

vitus1978
July 10th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Ill let you guys know how the install went when I get back from my road trip. Thankfully I have the rear sway bar so the shock can't fall off the car.

VTR
July 12th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I am going to attempt the install today. I am following this procedure for the most part. Installing the Monroe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgNK_QuH2y4

vitus1978
July 12th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Problem I'm going to have it that I have the rear sway bar which locks everything together.. and to take out the bolts that are behind the springs you need to take out the springs. If I did not have the sway bar it would be a simple 2 bolt job.

VTR
July 12th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Bummer! I however, could not get the bottom bolt off, had to abort project. Had the top one off after spraying a little liquid wrench on it, bottom no way. I just cannot deal with stripping the bolt, etc. etc.. Funny thing is, I bought all these nice tools, they are up on a property with my travel trailer, so I was lacking there.
Going to ask a couple neighbors if I can borrow there impact wrench. My shocks do not feel bad, there is no double bounce from pushing down on the car, etc.. Anyway, it is fairly simple, and the Echo set-up is quite similar, nuff said. I still like the car a lot, feel good in, comfy, just been a great car. I just want to hop on parts when needed! Esp. since they left the US and looks like Canada. So I am ready to go---, one impact unit and I am good to go-

vitus1978
July 13th, 2014, 12:10 AM
I used a socket wrench and slipped a 5 foot long steel tube over it and used it as a breaker bar... those bottom bots are on there good.

mcmuda
July 13th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Bummer! I however, could not get the bottom bolt off, had to abort project. Had the top one off after spraying a little liquid wrench on it, bottom no way. I just cannot deal with stripping the bolt, etc. etc.. Funny thing is, I bought all these nice tools, they are up on a property with my travel trailer, so I was lacking there.
Going to ask a couple neighbors if I can borrow there impact wrench. My shocks do not feel bad, there is no double bounce from pushing down on the car, etc.. Anyway, it is fairly simple, and the Echo set-up is quite similar, nuff said. I still like the car a lot, feel good in, comfy, just been a great car. I just want to hop on parts when needed! Esp. since they left the US and looks like Canada. So I am ready to go---, one impact unit and I am good to go-

Use a breaker bar. I used to brag about how easy it to replace the rear shocks to other people..lol. The most simple setup I've seen or should I say, torsion beam setups are easy to work with (they still suck)

suicide
July 14th, 2014, 12:04 AM
You shouldn't have to remove the rear springs to get to the sway bar bolts

vitus1978
July 23rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
OK... I'm please to announce that Koni yellows fit even with the sway bar. the bolt will only go back on about 3/4 to 7/8ths of the way so make sure you get it on there good and tight.

Sx4sport2008
October 25th, 2014, 09:19 PM
So how is the shock absorber? Too smooth?

SeanBonham
October 27th, 2014, 08:25 AM
OK... I'm please to announce that Koni yellows fit even with the sway bar. the bolt will only go back on about 3/4 to 7/8ths of the way so make sure you get it on there good and tight.

Yeah more info please! Pics etc. Would these work for a non lowered car?

SeanBonham
March 25th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Just an FYI the Koni yellows that (some say) fit our cars are on sale at tire rack. I'm gonna pick a set up.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Shock&group=Sport&partNum=80-2827SPORT&80-2827SPORT_Qty=2&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=ECHO+Sedan&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=

Samus
March 25th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Just an FYI the Koni yellows that (some say) fit our cars are on sale at tire rack. I'm gonna pick a set up.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Shock&group=Sport&partNum=80-2827SPORT&80-2827SPORT_Qty=2&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=ECHO+Sedan&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=

Thanks for the post. They are cheap indeed with the sale. Do they fit with both front and rear sway bar?

SeanBonham
March 25th, 2015, 01:44 PM
A few people on here have tried them, but no detailed posts have been made. Only the rear shocks will work with our cars. The rears are said to fit just barely with the sway.

Samus
March 25th, 2015, 01:49 PM
A few people on here have tried them, but no detailed posts have been made. Only the rear shocks will work with our cars. The rears are said to fit just barely with the sway.

Hmm good to know thanks!

jascoco123
November 22nd, 2015, 06:50 AM
Have read through the thread a few times but still kinda confused about the step where you drill out the bushing shaft. Are you reusing the part once it has been drilled?

migabi
November 23rd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Here is a KYB list of shocks with parameters : http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/shock-tech-for-pros/dimensions/
Good luck parsing that!

lespaul1021
December 16th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know I installed the Koni sport rear shocks(listed for Toyota Echo ,scion xa ). Very easy to do only took an hour or two and I was ****in around while I did it . My car has stock springs so I was a little worried since I thought there were some issues with others who installed them on stock springs(not lowered), but I am extremely happy with the results. They are a vast improvement over the stock shocks. I always had issues, but especially since I put 80lbs of subs in the trunk , with the rear end sagging on take off and serious dive when I brake . I have the Koni shocks set at about 3/4 of a turn from max rebound and the ride is just a bit stiffer but the car is staying level under braking accelerating and turns. Before I would feel as though I was going to loose control if I hit a bump while turning and traveling over 30mph. The rear end would shift all over , real sketchy. The back end stays planted now and feels much more secure. The handling all around has significantly improved in my opinion. Keep in mind when I removed the stock shocks they weren't blown or anything. No leaks, still had smooth compression and rebound (albeit weak compared to the koni's) although I've got 78k so they weren't new. I was not expecting the level of improvement from stock couldn't be happier.
The ride maybe too stiff for some on the rebound setting , especially if u dont have additional weight in the trunk like me, you probably would want the shock set to about 50% or possibly less depending on if your preference is for a smoother ride rather than at 80% or so I set mine at.

As a note on the installation, I did not trim the top bushings in anyway and there was enough left on the top bolt for the washer and both nuts. I did as wagoneer instructed with the monroe's and left the large washer on top of the shock boot/cover off. I think it would have made it much harder to install since with the bushings uncompressed you are just able to get the top washer and nut on.

SeanBonham
December 17th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know I installed the Koni sport rear shocks(listed for Toyota Echo ,scion xa ). Very easy to do only took an hour or two and I was ****in around while I did it . My car has stock springs so I was a little worried since I thought there were some issues with others who installed them on stock springs(not lowered), but I am extremely happy with the results. They are a vast improvement over the stock shocks. I always had issues, but especially since I put 80lbs of subs in the trunk , with the rear end sagging on take off and serious dive when I brake . I have the Koni shocks set at about 3/4 of a turn from max rebound and the ride is just a bit stiffer but the car is staying level under braking accelerating and turns. Before I would feel as though I was going to loose control if I hit a bump while turning and traveling over 30mph. The rear end would shift all over , real sketchy. The back end stays planted now and feels much more secure. The handling all around has significantly improved in my opinion. Keep in mind when I removed the stock shocks they weren't blown or anything. No leaks, still had smooth compression and rebound (albeit weak compared to the koni's) although I've got 78k so they weren't new. I was not expecting the level of improvement from stock couldn't be happier.
The ride maybe too stiff for some on the rebound setting , especially if u dont have additional weight in the trunk like me, you probably would want the shock set to about 50% or possibly less depending on if your preference is for a smoother ride rather than at 80% or so I set mine at.

As a note on the installation, I did not trim the top bushings in anyway and there was enough left on the top bolt for the washer and both nuts. I did as wagoneer instructed with the monroe's and left the large washer on top of the shock boot/cover off. I think it would have made it much harder to install since with the bushings uncompressed you are just able to get the top washer and nut on.

Very interesting! You and I are the only ones to try these shocks. I did not have any issues with the install, but I have had major issues with the shocks making a clunking noise. I have spent hours on end trying to figure out what the heck is cause the noise. I even tried aftermarket bushings at the top.

I would love to know if you are getting any clunking sounds with these. Happens when going over bumps etc.

I went ahead and bought Monroes to install in place of the Konis because that noise was driving me crazy. I haven't switched them out yet.

Would you mind posting a few pictures of the bushings and how they and positioned? Also, do you have the RRM rear sway bar installed?

I am going to spend a day this weekend working on my car and I would love to get this fixed.

lespaul1021
December 17th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Yeah I posted on ur thread about the shocks as well. I can take some pictures when I get home in a few hours because I havent had any noises with them and I was checking because I had read your experience. I cant say how the monroes are but im really liking the konis so hopefully you can make them work. I saw the pictures of yours so id try taking out the big washer on top ox the dust cover since it has one built in.
I do not have the rear sway bars and ive been purposely hitting every bump I can to make sure there was no noise.
I did torque the top nuts down to about 20ft pounds and I can pull my subs out for a bit to confirm it has nothing to do with them but I suspect it doesnt.

SeanBonham
December 17th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info! I hope I can get them working as well. I wonder if I got a defective set or something, I know from my research people have gotten bad ones.

I am going to mess around a little more before giving up.

lespaul1021
December 17th, 2015, 04:23 PM
hey so i cant get a good picture without taking it all apart but if you look at page 409 in the sx4 manual( its the same one posted somewhere on the forum although i was given a disc copy by the guy i bought the car from) if you don't have a copy i can email you one. It says 22ft lbs for the top nut and 65ft lbs for the bottom. I used an impact wrench to put the bottom on so its probably more than that as the nut is fully threaded but i don't have the swaybar so it shouldn't go on that far for you.

lespaul1021
December 17th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I don't see how you could be topping out the shock , It would be really hard to do on road and the shocks are only a tiny bit shorter also they are the same size as the Monroe's that everyone else has used for the back so i would think they would be having the same issue.
did you torque the nuts down with the tires on the ground under normal load?
I would check to make sure the bushings went in with the concave portions facing each other , I also left off the washer that held the bumpstop in since it wouldn't fit over that lip on the koni.

Also i saw you cut a portion of the press on sleeve that the bushings fit snuggly over, does it still extend far enough that both bushings are centered on it ? I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

I would think you would be able to tell if they were defective when they are out of the car by working the shock through its travel range but who knows maybe the adjustable mechanism broke somehow or something else internally.

Hopefully you can get it figured out.

SeanBonham
December 18th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I did torque everything correctly, I also tried different torques to eliminate the clunk.

I picked up another set of OEM bushings and new sleeves that I am going to install this weekend. I really hope that takes care of it. I had to cut the sleeve to get them off the old shock.

We will see!

zukiuki
December 18th, 2015, 10:51 AM
You have to use those sleeves to center the shaft in the bushings. Otherwise, the shaft will just float around , causing side to side movement.

SeanBonham
December 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Sleeves were used, they had about 1/2" cut off.

zukiuki
December 18th, 2015, 08:40 PM
The sleeves need to be long enough to bottom out the compression washer on the sleeve while compressing the rubber bushings.

SeanBonham
December 20th, 2015, 07:29 PM
The sleeves need to be long enough to bottom out the compression washer on the sleeve while compressing the rubber bushings.

I understand where you are coming from with this, but where do you think anyone is getting these sleeves if they are using any sort of after market suspension? They must be cut off the old shocks and reused.

I got everything reinstalled installed today and I THINK I eliminated the clunk. Sorta. I realized that one the lower shock mounting nuts was stripped. That side is still making noise. I think it stripped from not having enough threads to engage on with the sway bar mounted. I am going to try to find a replacement tomorrow. If I can find some high grade metric nuts I think I will have solved this mystery.

zukiuki
December 21st, 2015, 08:25 AM
Wish you all the best.

SeanBonham
December 23rd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Well, got new hardware installed and all torqued up. Still getting noise from one side.

At this point it has to be an issue with the sway bar and the Koni shocks or a defective shock. I was going to take the sway bar off to paint it. Will see if that was some how magically making the noise.... I doubt it ran it for 3 years with no issues before the Koni install.

zukiuki
December 23rd, 2015, 12:10 PM
At this point I would look for something that might be unrelated... Like maybe the spare tire or hardware being loose.

Minibenni
July 8th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Installed the KYB Gr-2 (echo) shock about a month ago with my set of Eibach and I have to say they are better than stock and easy to instal but I am disappointed as I was expecting them to bit stiffer than that . For those wondering I find the ride more comfortable than stock even with the drop which is unexpected now I am looking for stiffer shock front and back... Any ideas??

airguard
August 24th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Any recommendations if I am going to tow a trailer?

ryguy
August 25th, 2016, 08:14 AM
You can install air bags (the ones that go inside the coil springs). There's some info that Firestone used to make a kit specific for the SX4, part #4183, although the site I found that on says 2010 - 2010 Sx4 but that doesn't make sense. If I check that number on Firststone's site, it comes up that its for a 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z. Airlift company makes universal kits that you have to measure the inside length and diameter of your springs. I am going this route once I decide if I'm going to do lowering springs or not.

sobad
December 12th, 2016, 03:40 AM
sorry guys but I have the ultimate rear shocks that fit easily2066

Cman
March 5th, 2017, 06:58 AM
So after reading this thread am I to understand that the 5987 Monroe was a sensatrac shock but is now called an OE Spectrum shock and all the inside bits and function of the shock is the same between the two different models?

Tony

Cman
February 11th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Monroe now has a rear shock specific to SX4 part # 5688

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/5688

Marnold441
March 15th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Monroe now has a rear shock specific to SX4 part # 5688

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/5688

Itís my understanding that the Monroe 5987 is rated for a higher weight limit. I just ordered the Monroe 5987 and I am putting them on this weekend I will keep everyone posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamwardicus
April 15th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Itís my understanding that the Monroe 5987 is rated for a higher weight limit. I just ordered the Monroe 5987 and I am putting them on this weekend I will keep everyone posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering what the verdict was with the #5987

wavecult
June 23rd, 2018, 07:26 PM
Are they any longer than the OEM shocks?

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

wavecult
July 7th, 2018, 05:44 PM
A few weeks ago I started a thread on my new rear shocks for all of those that are lifted. The shocks are 2" longer than OEM.

The thread is here: http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8774