PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: 2013 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Thirty-Nine
July 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/07/2013-suzuki-escudo-01-opt.jpg

Looks like Autoblog is saying that ASMC has confirmed the facelifted 2013 Grand Vitara.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/12/suzuki-grand-vitara-getting-facelift-for-2013/#aol-comments

Grimlock1973
July 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I wish Suzuki would have replaced the tired 4 speed trans with the same Jatco CVT from the SX4 and the Kizashi. I also wish the refresh came with a standard backup camera. My wife and I personally liked the spare tire carrier on the back but we must be in the minority because Suzuki eliminated it all together.

Just glad that Suzuki plans on staying in the US market since they are bringing this here sans the driver side 2nd mirror.

jelly2m8
July 12th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I wish Suzuki would have replaced the tired 4 speed trans with the same Jatco CVT from the SX4 and the Kizashi.

From 06 up the GV has a 5 speed auto transmission. The SX4 and Kizashi have a transaxle. A transaxle will not work with the GV's front engine / rear drive longitudual drivetrain orientation.

AdR
July 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Don't really dig the rear without the tire. It's questionable where they will fit the spare as there's not much room beneath. Hope it's not inside as that would kill the already lacking cargo space.

punksmurph
July 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Don't really dig the rear without the tire. It's questionable where they will fit the spare as there's not much room beneath. Hope it's not inside as that would kill the already lacking cargo space.

They may be able to do a under car mount for the spare tire, but even then I don't know if it would be full size.

AdR
July 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
They may be able to do a under car mount for the spare tire, but even then I don't know if it would be full size.

Doubt it would be a full size. The briefcase muffler amd the rear diff almost take the whole space. I'm looking under mine and see it difficult although not impossible.

Only gripe with under body spared is how ridiculously dirty it gets. Let's just hope you don't get a flat while going to anywhere fancy. :p

Grimlock1973
July 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
From 06 up the GV has a 5 speed auto transmission. The SX4 and Kizashi have a transaxle. A transaxle will not work with the GV's front engine / rear drive longitudual drivetrain orientation.

Nope. 2006 to present Grand Vitara's have a 4 gear auto trans for the US market bud.

AdR
July 12th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Nope. 2006 to present Grand Vitara's have a 4 gear auto trans for the US market bud.

You both are right and wrong. V6 models have a 5 speed auto while the 4cyl counterparts have a 4 speed box. The 5 speed was the only one available until the 2009's intro of the 2.4L with 4 speed and apparently the 2012 models don't come in V6 variants anymore.

Don't know how "tired" the 4 speed auto is since the four banger has been less years in production than the V6. I'd personally wouldn't change the 5 speed for a CVT ever, I like my tow capacity.

Wagoneer
July 13th, 2012, 01:26 AM
The grand vitara is the perfect poster vehicle for Suzuki: Not having any idea what the hell they're thinking.

The huge selling point of the GV over competition was towing capacity and a low range gearbox. Then they got rid of the V6. While the I4 is almost as fast as the V6 was, put a boat behind it and the I4 can't even compare. Going from a V6 with a 5 speed to a 4 cylinder with a 4 speed. WTF? They said they did it for fuel economy, but the I4 has to struggle so much to move the weight it gets the same fuel economy as the V6 did!

Now they have the stupid "urban" edition in Canada that has no full-size spare on the back, no low-range, none of the features that make the GV stand out. What are you thinking Suzuki...

Sure hope this facelift comes with more than just a facelift or else those GV's are just going to sit on the showroom floor just like the current ones are.

Avalanche
July 13th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Tyre repair kit instead of a full-size spare on the back? Fail.

Luckily, it's just a limited edition, NOT a replacement for the current GV.

Thirty-Nine
July 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Tyre repair kit instead of a full-size spare on the back? Fail.

A lot of new cars are going this way. Many Hyundais and Kias, for example.

Also, I just had the '12 Grand Vitara Ultimate Adventure for review. I'm writing the review right now. Yes, the 2.4 with the 4-speed auto is a slow, tired combo. However, I think they lost the V6 when GM sold off its stake in Suzuki. They were likely between a rock and a hard place.

Grimlock1973
July 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
You both are right and wrong. V6 models have a 5 speed auto while the 4cyl counterparts have a 4 speed box. The 5 speed was the only one available until the 2009's intro of the 2.4L with 4 speed and apparently the 2012 models don't come in V6 variants anymore.

Don't know how "tired" the 4 speed auto is since the four banger has been less years in production than the V6. I'd personally wouldn't change the 5 speed for a CVT ever, I like my tow capacity.

When I stated "tired" I meant old and archaic technology. Most automakers have moved on to 5,6,7,8, gear transmissions not to mention dual clutch and cvts. It would be nice if the Grand Vitara offered the cvt trans as an option for people who don't tow anything or don't go offroading much.

mbs1
July 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I'm perfectly satisfied to see new GV with the same combination as in European version of SX4: 2,0l diesel engine with 6 speed manual transmision. On my opinion that's perfect combination for that kind of vehicle.

AdR
July 13th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm perfectly satisfied to see new GV with the same combination as in European version of SX4: 2,0l diesel engine with 6 speed manual transmision. On my opinion that's perfect combination for that kind of vehicle.

Not even the torque of the diesel engine will be enough in a 2.0l version. It's a 4K lbs vehicle.

johnsnownw
July 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM
So, my thoughts:

1. I like the redesigned front end, and am happy to see the projector headlights.
2. Wish they had kept the spare housing on the back.

I guess that's about it. Can't say much on engine or tranny as I've not tested the offerings.

AdR
July 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
All I can say is that a facelift on a 6 year old platform is pitiful. Not even BMW and Lexus could make a tired platform more interesting with a facelift (325i & SC300/400). I don't see anything different other than a bumper, grille and no more rear tire...

B-Spec
July 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
What the hell is that thing sticking off the left front fender?

I would never buy a 4x4 with a CVT tranny.. I am glad they didn't stick one in.

Wagoneer
July 13th, 2012, 09:52 PM
It's a blind spot mirror. Would be cooler if it was a snorkel.

Suzuki better have something up their sleeve as far as power trains pretty soon. I mean, their maintenance free timing chain is cool and their engines are still competitive as far as power output (aside from the GV and Kizashi of course) but they need to get on the band wagon of turbocharging, direct injection, and some newer transmissions.

Their chassis' are so good, just imagine them with some power!

July 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
^ Not sure why Suzuki doesn't outsource stuff like this. Most manufacturers fill gaps in their powertrain offerings with Brand X components as a matter of routine. And Suzuki presumably could still buy GM V6s, their expired partnership notwithstanding... :confused:

AdR
July 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM
It's a blind spot mirror. Would be cooler if it was a snorkel.

Suzuki better have something up their sleeve as far as power trains pretty soon. I mean, their maintenance free timing chain is cool and their engines are still competitive as far as power output (aside from the GV and Kizashi of course) but they need to get on the band wagon of turbocharging, direct injection, and some newer transmissions.

Their chassis' are so good, just imagine them with some power!

It's ironic how the same company responsible for the fastest consumer bike in the market is responsible for so many underpowered vehicles. :rolleyes:

jelly2m8
July 14th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Ahh, Mines a V6, I didn't fathom that anyone would consider buying a 4 banger auto GV, the V6 auto is a bit of a dog as it is, the only way I'd consider a 4 cylinder GV is with a manual transmission.