PDA

View Full Version : mud flaps

RS117
June 19th, 2012, 03:28 AM
I bought some cheopo mudflaps off of Ebay (they are a nice fit though ) and have a few questions. For mounting the front I see that the car only has two mounting holes, what are people doing to attach the lower inner point ??
Are you leaving attaching w/ two mounting points or drilling a third hole ??
if you are drilling is it just plastic on the lower inner side, or is there steel as well? If it is steel what are you doing for a sealent to prevent rust, just silicone?

sorry for all the questions
Thank you,
Ray

RS117
June 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Bueller... Bueller... any thoughts help
thank you

DaeGoesFast
June 19th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I probably have the same flaps. I drilled a 3rd hole. There are a couple layers of plastic I went through.

RS117
June 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I probably have the same flaps. I drilled a 3rd hole. There are a couple layers of plastic I went through.

Thank you
just plastic, no metal ??? Works for me just want to know what is behind there

DaeGoesFast
June 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
oops. I just looked at my mudflaps on the car. I only used two screws on the front ones. The rear flaps got three, with the third being screwed upward from underneath. That was because the original hole for the third screw isn't flush against the plastic. It's about a half inch away, so I went from underneath.

The front flaps on my car have been fine with two screws, and no I never drilled into any metal.

RS117
June 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
thanks again.
I bought some longer pushpins to attach my cool SX4 flaps ( too long , had to make thick washers today ). I am curious how the front will hold up to mud, ice and snow w/ just the two

Does anybody know if I drill a third hole down low on the inside if I will hit metal or just the plastic ??

RS117
June 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM
mounted my flaps tonight with DIY 3/16 washers and I did drill holes through the plastic for a 3rd AND 4th hole ( the back ones). On both the front and back there is nothing but plastic on the inner low corner, all is good. I did not want to drill into the body, just the plastic anyways.

iamclaus
June 19th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I drilled additional holes front and back, but only went through areas with plastic, I didn't make any new holes in metal. Mine have held up in fine condition through my first winter with the vehicle.

Wagoneer
June 19th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I drilled all new holes. I drilled tiny pilot holes and then screwed in some stainless screws with washers on them. I scrapped the crappy hardware that came with them. They've been holding up fine since I put them on. They've been an awesome purchase for sub-$20!

RS117
June 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM
thanks for the replies
The seem fairly solid for sure but winter will be my question, how flexable. They are flexable now but what at zero degrees, I guess we will find out :)

Wagoneer
June 19th, 2012, 11:17 PM
thanks for the replies
The seem fairly solid for sure but winter will be my question, how flexable. They are flexable now but what at zero degrees, I guess we will find out :)
The cheap ebay ones are surprisingly high quality. They have a pretty high rubber content so they don't get hard in the winter. Just as flexible at -5C then at 30C. And if they could be broken, I would have broken one by now.

RS117
June 19th, 2012, 11:49 PM
good to know, one less thing to think about

iamclaus
June 20th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Just as flexible at -5C then at 30C.

or below -30C when I was kicking lumps of ice off of mine =P