PDA

View Full Version : Road Race anti-sway bar

boo
June 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I am considering putting a Road Race anti-sway bar on the rear of my SX4.

Wondering if anyone here has one installed on their SX4 and do they work good?.

Trying to prevent side roll.

To tighten up the rear, i`m thinking Monroe 5987 and anti-sway bar.

thanks boo

Caterham
June 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Many have. Do it. :)

SX4enthusiast
June 16th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Yes, excellent upgrade. ;)

zukiuki
June 16th, 2012, 07:48 AM
It's about the only thing worthwhile.

AdR
June 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM
It's about the only thing worthwhile.

I beg to differ. But it's a great upgrade no doubt about it.

Meenkya
June 16th, 2012, 09:09 AM
There is no negative. You will be pleased. Try just the bar before spending $ on the monroes, can always add later.

boo
June 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM
There is no negative. You will be pleased. Try just the bar before spending $ on the monroes, can always add later.

After thinking it over, I think i`ll take your advice and try the sway bar first.

AdR
June 16th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Our rear stock shocks are lacking at best in their damping rate. The rear is extremely tail happy. When taking a curve and there's a dip on the road it got so bouncy that it just became dangerous. I'd do the set without thinking about it. The best next thing is coilovers with adjustable rebound rates and those are approx $1K.

boo
June 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Our rear stock shocks are lacking at best in their damping rate. The rear is extremely tail happy. When taking a curve and there's a dip on the road it got so bouncy that it just became dangerous. I'd do the set without thinking about it. The best next thing is coilovers with adjustable rebound rates and those are approx $1K.

I know deep down what you are saying is right. The rear sure is squirrely times.
Will order sway bar soon start looking for good price on shocks @ brick and mortor.

Thanks to all.

boo

Wagoneer
June 16th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Let's be honest, the rear is looser than the girl workin' the nearest corner. I don't want a sway bar as I don't want to lose any flex off road but I cannot wait until one of the known aftermarket companies makes a shock in our length.

punksmurph
June 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
The single best dollar to performance upgrade value on the SX4 is the rear sway bar, trust me on this as I went through just about the whole RRM product line up including turbo kit.

boo
June 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Let's be honest, the rear is looser than the girl workin' the nearest corner. I don't want a sway bar as I don't want to lose any flex off road but I cannot wait until one of the known aftermarket companies makes a shock in our length.

I really appreciate your input
My car will be used off road very little. Maybe a wet boat ramp, flat gravel mountain road, snow etc.. I would like to eliminate the excessive lean and poor on road handling, " body roll ".
Are you saying the Monroe 5987 s are not a good shock for the SX4?.

Caterham
June 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM
My car will be used off road very little. Maybe a wet boat ramp, flat gravel mountain road, snow etc.. I would like to eliminate the excessive lean and poor on road handling, " body roll ".
The Monroe is definitely better than stock. Doing the shocks and sway at the same time will save time and the shocks are not expensive. I think mine were about $60 shipped.

Wagoneer
June 17th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a swap bar is right for you then.

No I'm not saying it's a bad shock. It's probably really good for the money. But I'd be looking for something a little stiffer than that. I carry bikes off of my hitch, tow a little trailer etc. I would just need something a little more heavy duty.

boo
June 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Bought the Monroe shocks and RR anti sway bar.
Will install soon.

Thanks to all who gave advice.
Very much appreciated.

whitelightning777
July 7th, 2012, 08:31 AM

If the Monroe is shorter, doesn't it make sense to install the relocation mounts from that rocky road lift kit too? (think that's what its called)

boo
July 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Final post and feedback.

Installed shocks and RR anti-sway bar.

Feels better. Tracks straight and smooth. Tightened rear some.

Not as tight as I had hoped for but, pleased with upgrade.
Still has some roll.

AdR
July 12th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Final post and feedback.

Installed shocks and RR anti-sway bar.

Feels better. Tracks straight and smooth. Tightened rear some.

Not as tight as I had hoped for but, pleased with upgrade.
Still has some roll.

It's a great upgrade but it's not the Holy Grail. Of course there will still be some roll, it's an economy car. The best way to reduce the roll is with a good set of coilovers and some chassis bracing but the latter will be extremely difficult to come by and will probably be custom. I have the roll bar, strut bar and better shocks and there still is some rear body roll.

grkacl
July 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
hands down the best upgrade for the money

whitelightning777
August 6th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I just got my RRM sway bar installed & it works very well. Here are the pics.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q537/whitelightning777/SX4-bar1.jpg

This is the interior nut and bolt being installed on the passenger's side.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q537/whitelightning777/SX4-bar2.jpg

This is the bar's first placement after I got it over top of the rear drive shaft. As you can see, the nuts and bolt are installed but not yet tightened. This is the driver's side of the vehicle. The SX4 is on ramps, last used for its very first oil change. These pics are from my cell phone. (Blackberry Style w. 5 megapixel camera -- Sprint)

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q537/whitelightning777/Rain-sx41.jpg

I got done less then a minute before a huge thunderstorm rolled in. The last nut was tightened about 5 to 10 seconds before this picture was taken.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q537/whitelightning777/Rain-sx42.jpg

Here is the first "road test" with the new part installed. The ramps were slick and soaking wet as I put them away. The defrosters work very well in the SX4 indeed. Just a little bit of heat + Max defrosting and my clothes were dry within a minute or two.

I did a test run through the thunderstorm -- naturally. :rocker:

Of course, I will recheck the bolts and nuts for tightness within a week or so. Since the car was on ramps not jacked up, the suspension will be in a more "natural" state and not as likely to loosen up so much. I tightened everything as much as is humanely possible. I would also advise saving the washers from the lower shock absorbers. If you do swap in different shocks, they might come in handy later.

The car rides just the same as before, but more... boring in a way.

It just doesn't feel like its going to let loose at its limits. Curvy roads just seem to push the driver around while the vehicle stays on rails. The tires don't squeal like they normally do when you're engaged in "spirited" driving. I'd say that 2/3 of the leaning you get in the twisties is gone. The back now stays as level as the front does and it doesn't want to slide as easily.

One caveat is that when the car does "let go", I'm sure it will spin out violently with little or no warning. I haven't pushed it to that point.

The ride is exactly the same as before, with the solid smooth feel the SX4 is known for. Frankly, I don't see why the factory didn't go ahead and offer these as an option.

I figure that I'll keep the stock rear shocks for now, especially if I may or may not do the life kit in the future. Why switch to a shorter shock if you may lift the vehicle later... even if it will work? I also LIKE a smooth ride. My Girlfriend doesn't like a hard-as-nails type of suspension. She has some spinal back issues & my old truck was quite punishing for her on bad roads.

Hmmm.....

Is a rear sway bar a possible dealer installed option for those willing to go that route?

Wagoneer
August 6th, 2012, 03:51 AM
One caveat is that when the car does "let go", I'm sure it will spin out violently with little or no warning. I haven't pushed it to that point.

The ride is exactly the same as before, with the solid smooth feel the SX4 is known for. Frankly, I don't see why the factory didn't go ahead and offer these as an option.

Answered your own question ;)

Cars are setup to understeer for a reason. Most people have no idea how to handle a car that has 'broken loose'. 90% of the drivers on the road would end up wrapped around a tree if they bought a car that was setup to oversteer. Most enthusiasts on the other hand, have more experience driving a car at it's limits and it can be pushed harder and faster when it's neutral or slight oversteer so we like it like that. If you reach a limits of the car and it understeers its easy to gain control, but if it's oversteering and you get that weight transfer, you have to know what you're doing to keep it there instead of having it spin or lose control.

You have to remember, 90% of the driver's out there have zero experience of car control. Manufacturers have to make a car that the 'average' person can drive safely.

Meenkya
August 6th, 2012, 08:53 AM
+1 to Wagoneer, In my experience vehicles just simply break free and it's usually the driver that then makes the car act violently. My 1 cent.

whitelightning777
August 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I literally wasn't able to make the car spin out. I did the usual thing, finding a deserted parking lot and driving in smaller and smaller circles. For some reason, the ABS kicked in. The car didn't spin out but wouldn't turn in a smaller circle regardless of steering input.

I may repeat the test with the stability control switched off.

Of course, not driving while retarded is the best way to stay safe.

I'm hesitant to repeat the test at a higher speed because I don't want to flip my car over.

The sway bar is a great investment, second only to sound judgment.