PDA

View Full Version : best bang for the buck?

SX4DUDE2013
December 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
So I have never added any performance mods yet. Except k&n. Lol. After driving my dads new mustang it has really hit me how slow the car is. But I can't expect much from a economy car. I went to pass a car on the hey the other day ani floored it and I took 4ever! Lol. I need something that will help it go when I push the pedal. I don't want anything major (no turbo or headers)....is an intake the best way to go or should I get an underdrive pulley? Can a pully mess up ur engine? I appreciate ur comments....

Brumbie13
December 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Uh, open up the flood gates.

Here's the deal, the header (http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254) is going to give you the best non-turbo performance, hands down.

Everything else, intake, underdrive pulley, exhaust, piggyback, etc, will all help a bit, but not significantly.
I had all of that stuff on before I put the header on, and the header gave considerably more power than everything else combined.

If you don't want the header (it is not difficult to install, and if you put the heat shield back on, nobody will ever even know but you) then you can get all of the other stuff.
But even a combination of all of it is going to leave you craving more power.

Wyliec
December 15th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I don't know if the pulley alone really makes a whole lot more power, just gives it better response I think. Someone who's running one will have to chime in here. Will it mess up the motor? 99% no, but there is always a chance. I bought one but decided to pass on it, but many people have had their's on for years and lots of miles with no issues. The intake will give it a little bit more pep, but without freeing up the exhaust all the extra air has nowhere to go to take the best advantage of it. According to Wolfe787's dyno sheet the exhaust is one place you can get considerable gains from, upgrading to a 2.25" cat-back. The piggyback is another good upgrade, but it performs it's best too with an intake and exhaust. After seeing Wolfe's progression of mods with dyno sheets for each one, the exhaust looks like the place to start for the best bang for the buck without a header.

Wyliec
December 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
and the header gave considerably more power than everything else combined

Really? I figured it would just be icing on the cake. I never would have guessed that it made that much of a difference. I wonder if it will still make that much difference for SX4Dude without all the supporting mods you had in place already? I'm going to have to seriously consider getting one now.

punksmurph
December 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
A lot of people have had luck in getting a 2.25" catback done and having good gains on it. Remember that as you add more mods power grows a little more each time as they work together. I started with a pulley and the response of the car improved. I then got an intake and it seemed to have more mid range pull. The piggy help smooth power across the entire power range which is great. For NA mods the header gave the single most gain in power, and if I had a proper exhaust it would have really been great, but I knew I was going turbo so I skipped that step. I say that if you are going to do one do all, but for a start get the catback exhaust first.

PaulD
December 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
So I have never added any performance mods yet. Except k&n.

Which buck? My parked SX4 was sideswiped by a truck rolling down our hill. The first question my insurance company asked was "Has the car been modified in any way?". In NZ it's not worth the insurance hassles trying to make a slow car faster. It's easier to buy a faster car. If you don't advise performance mods and pay altered premiums it's very likely any claims will be denied.

The second question was "How many accidents have you had in the last 5 years?" :D

punksmurph
December 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Which buck? My parked SX4 was sideswiped by a truck rolling down our hill. The first question my insurance company asked was "Has the car been modified in any way?". In NZ it's not worth the insurance hassles trying to make a slow car faster. It's easier to buy a faster car. If you don't advise performance mods and pay altered premiums it's very likely any claims will be denied.

The second question was "How many accidents have you had in the last 5 years?" :D
Works different here in the US. I had a turbocharged SX4 with a unique exhaust and all sorts of CF on the car. It was easy to tell even after the fire the car was modified. Insurance gave me no hassle about it, as long is the mod does not cause the damage then it a claim can not be denied. I was told that I would not be reimbursed for the parts that were not disclosed to my insurance so I did take a loss.

Capoken
December 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM
you will feel a nice kick in the pants with an SRI and piggy.

02C2
December 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Standard Car forum question, I'll give the standard answer for pretty much any car. I-H-E, Intake, Header, and Exhaust. Car has gotta breathe! All the emmisions regulations kills performance and mileage with cars. Intake to get more air in quicker, Headers and Exhaust to get the air out with better flow. I'd suggest Smurph's idea of redo the exhaust 2.25, Header would be nice, but it'll still bottleneck on the way out without the exhaust.

SX4DUDE2013
December 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM
it all depends on how much money I get for christmas. Ill prob start with an intake and rear sway and then go from there :)
Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Speedlvr
December 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Rear sway won't speed you up silly :hi:

Definitely exhaust, if it comes down to 1 thing. UD pulley is nice but looking back it'd be the last mod, since like its been said there's no HP gain just better throttle response. And yes you'll crave more because even with my mods I'm sure the gains are fairly minimal. I'd be surprised to have a 20HP gain. So turbo is next:D

Don't worry whatever you get you'll like.......you'll just want some more where that came from LOL

Schultzey
December 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Don't worry whatever you get you'll like.......you'll just want some more where that came from LOL

Very true! With all the NA mods done it is a nice increase in power from stock. Speedlvr is right, you will continue to want more power. With the pulley I only noticed better throttle response. In terms of power per mod I would rank the header as the most noticeable, followed by the piggyback, and then the SRI.

Mack Zilla
December 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've got an extra 306 laying around if you want to put that in there. I think you will get moving pretty quick then.

SouthJerseySX4
December 16th, 2010, 05:51 AM
After driving my dads new mustang it has really hit me how slow the car is.

I know how you feel, man! My friend has a new '11 Mustang (modded), and it just makes me sad inside haha.

I suggest saving up for the headers; the price is worth being more content with your vehicle.

chrisrunsi
December 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM
When will we have 2011 pipes! I promised myself I would leave this car stock but that has gone down the tubes in less than a month. muahahaha!

The Shadow
December 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Not picking on anyone in particular..... but when I hear someone (anyone) complaining about how low in performance their car is, I'm wondering to myself, are they just very poor drivers or did they get a "Lemon" ???

I've owned cars that would put the poor little SX4 to shame, but, they cost more than two SX4's and got less than half the miles per gallon of gas.
Oh, and they would choke up and die on 87 octane fuel.

I suspect that in most cases there is nothing wrong with the car, it's the driver that needs a retrofit.

I love my little SX4! It gets out into traffic on the Interstate as fast as any car I've owned for the past 20 years. I can cruise up behind someone running at 75mph, change lanes and punch the GO Pedal and the AT will shift back to second gear and the car takes off like a turpentined cat.
(or the proverbial, Scalded Dog)

I've taken several guys for rides in my car and they all are amazed at the performance.

Thank You, Suzuki, for a great little car!

:cool:

SouthJerseySX4
December 16th, 2010, 09:21 AM
It's the damned e-throttle. It makes her so slow off the line compared to her engine's potential.
I'm also used to my friends' cars, which are more sport-oriented than my own.

Die trying
December 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM
heck my last car was a volvo 240 automatic NA. talk about slow. A hoveround could have beaten it in a drag race.

rubicon4wheeler
December 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Not picking on anyone in particular..... but when I hear someone (anyone) complaining about how low in performance their car is, I'm wondering to myself, are they just very poor drivers or did they get a "Lemon" ???

I suspect that in most cases there is nothing wrong with the car, it's the driver that needs a retrofit.
Very good point, but I think it's less a matter of the driver's skill or the car's performance, as it is the driver's wrong choice of cars. Suzuki didn't design the car to be a sports car or a dragster, so of course it will perform poorly in those roles. But for what it was intended to be (an exceptional all-arounder) it performs exceptionally.

I've taken several guys for rides in my car and they all are amazed at the performance.

Thank You, Suzuki, for a great little car!
I'm totally with you on this statement! On a rough, windy back road, my buddy in his 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi couldn't shake me, no matter how hard he tried. He could not believe that even with 290 horsepower and summer performance tires (versus my 143 horsepower, suspension lift, and light-truck all-terrain tires) he couldn't lose me. Admittedly, driver skill has a huge amount to do with it, but that's exactly the point: there's more to speed than simply the car's capabilities. Overall, Suzuki designed a very capable car - perhaps the most well-rounded car ever. But you'll always be able to find something that outperforms it at any one particular task.

The Jesuit
December 16th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Agreed, one of, if not the first, all around jack of all trades car I have ever owned, and then some; oh, and damn inexpensive to boot.

rubicon4wheeler
December 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Agreed, one of, if not the first, all around jack of all trades car I have ever owned, and then some; oh, and damn inexpensive to boot.

The SX4 isn't the best commuter car (others get a bit better fuel economy) but it does a darn fine job.
The SX4 isn't the best family car (minivans have more human and cargo capacity) but it fits 4 adults quite comfortably.
The SX4 isn't the best backroad/track car (sports cars are faster) but it does a darn fine job and is a total hoot to hustle.
The SX4 isn't the best offroad/trail vehicle (Jeeps and similar have superior 4WD hardware and ground clearance) but especially with some cheap aftermarket upgrades, it'll go further than anyone would ever expect it to - while returning double the typical 4x4 fuel economy!

chrisrunsi
December 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I look at is this way, as I do with all my cars, It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. Speed limit around town is max about 40 right? What kind of fun are you having there? Save the speeding for a track, save your life and ours.

I've had this car for just about a month and love it. A couple small tweaks and she will be perfect. All in due time though. If you wanted a sports car, you should have bought one or at least a car with an aftermarket to create it.

SX604
December 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Here's the deal, the header (http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254) is going to give you the best non-turbo performance, hands down.

Firstly, sorry to OP I don't mean to hijack your thread.

But, which would be a more fun car before-2010 5MT with header OR 2010+ 6MT no header?

Assuming RRM doesn't make a 2010+ header

I'm going to be in the same boat as OP when I get my car. (hard to source white MT AWDs where I live) The need to mod with limited money. Decisions, decisions...

SX4DUDE2013
December 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I look at is this way, as I do with all my cars, It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. Speed limit around town is max about 40 right? What kind of fun are you having there? Save the speeding for a track, save your life and ours.

I've had this car for just about a month and love it. A couple small tweaks and she will be perfect. All in due time though. If you wanted a sports car, you should have bought one or at least a car with an aftermarket to create it.

I wasnt my choice on what car i got. It was a present.

punksmurph
December 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Firstly, sorry to OP I don't mean to hijack your thread.

But, which would be a more fun car before-2010 5MT with header OR 2010+ 6MT no header?

Assuming RRM doesn't make a 2010+ header

I'm going to be in the same boat as OP when I get my car. (hard to source white MT AWDs where I live) The need to mod with limited money. Decisions, decisions...

Get the 2010 with no header. You could always have a header made by a local shop if one around you makes them. The 2010 has a higher starting HP and a 6 speed with better gearing and that will make a huge difference in driving.

rubicon4wheeler
December 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Get the 2010 with no header. You could always have a header made by a local shop if one around you makes them. The 2010 has a higher starting HP and a 6 speed with better gearing and that will make a huge difference in driving.

Better in what way? 1st and reverse are taller than the already-too-tall-for-any-technical-slow-speed-control 5-speed's gearing. It seems silly to me that they crammed more ratios into a narrower gear spread. :rolleyes:

Die trying
December 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
rrm said the gearing in the 6 speed was better for the track although i suppose you could argue that depends on the track. Could it be said that the cvt with paddle shift in the 2010+ is superior to the previous automatic?

Mack Zilla
December 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I can't knock on anyone wanting to modify their SX4 but I will offer my opinion. Modding vehicles considered to be "different" has always been intriguing. Sometimes it works out really well, sometimes you've unfortunately wasted your money. I can definitely see doing modifications for clean appearance or economic/performance mods on an SX4. Intake, exhaust, filter; these always wake a car up and get better mileage, especially with professional tuning of the fuel curves to support them.

I personally would not try to take the SX4 to "race" status by any means. There are far better platforms to begin with, both intital performance and "bang for the buck" aftermarket parts. I built a car to go around turns in a hurry for track use and if I want to go fast in a straight line I simply mount the drag radials. The SX4 can't do this without doubling your investment, it is too limited by engine and driveline. Then again, everyones perception of fast is different.

SX4DUDE2013
December 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
i just ordered a rear sway. I will prob do the intake as my first mod though...

The Shadow
December 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
If my car swayed that bad, I'd take it to the dealer for repair.
My car don't sway.

SX4DUDE2013
December 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
If my car swayed that bad, I'd take it to the dealer for repair.
My car don't sway.

lol. ur funny. i just got ur email. im gonna respond tomorrow so be on da look out :)

Die trying
December 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Get the aluminum version 2 short ram, i believe its even on sale right now. The aluminum one will be more durable than the powdercoated steel version.

Mack Zilla the sx4 was built with wrc in mind and the sx4 rally car was powered by the j20 which is the same motor we get in north america. Obviously there are numerous differences but the basic chassis and motor are the same. Suzuki of north america actively persued well known tuners (first cobb then rrm) to develop a line of performance parts and then paraded them around the country for all to see. Every journalist that had a chance to drive the sx4t had nothing but positive things to say about it. An sx4 (heavily modified) won last years pikes peak hill climb. The sx4 even has it's own race series, copa sx4. The impreza and the lancer did not have such an impressive rap sheet when they were this young. As far as new cars in this price range go, there are no better platforms.

punksmurph
December 17th, 2010, 01:10 AM
The SX4 was built with rally in mind, it is based off the Swift chassis which is a JWRC winner and had WRC in mind from the get go. The Zuk was a couple roll cage cross bars short of a race car, I saw it dyno at 300 hp. The SX4 has a lot of potential and is just as suited as the Golf, Impreza, Lancer for performance duty. I think having the car get so much support so early on that if the name and car continued it will be just as respected and modded as the other models.

Mack Zilla
December 17th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I understand that fellas, I really do. However, I've invested $15k total to build a car that paces in the turns with vettes and consistently lays 475hp/575tq. What's it cost to make my SX4 keep up? That's all I am saying. No more no less.

Adema135
December 17th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Best bang for the buck depends on what you're looking for. For example, the mods that I would make for my own purposes would be tires, rear sway bar, upgraded brake pads/rotors, and maybe a pulley and/or intake. My reasoning is this, I'm a "fun-to-drive" guy. My sedan is peppy but is not fast. I don't plan on spending lots of money to make it something it's not. But I will spend a smaller amount to make it better at what it already is. And because it's my daily driver, I don't want to do something that could compromise daily use like bottoming out and bouncing around from lowering it or having to hear all the extra noise from substantially changing the exhaust system. I can hear a lot of road noise as it is. Again, this is all in my opinion.
Judging by your other posts, I'm going to assume that you want something that will impress your friends when you mash the gas on a straight road. The "best bang for the buck" is a turbo.
You have the modding itch, that's good. It'll never go away either. Sacrifice a bit on this car and minimize the mods. It's already been in a few accidents and it has a very weak aftermarket. You're going to take a big loss on this car once you decide to get rid of it and that will only be increased with every aftermarket thing you add. Remember, each mod you make to this car is one that you could be making on your next car.

Mack Zilla
December 17th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Best bang for the buck depends on what you're looking for. For example, the mods that I would make for my own purposes would be tires, rear sway bar, upgraded brake pads/rotors, and maybe a pulley and/or intake. My reasoning is this, I'm a "fun-to-drive" guy. My sedan is peppy but is not fast. I don't plan on spending lots of money to make it something it's not. But I will spend a smaller amount to make it better at what it already is. And because it's my daily driver, I don't want to do something that could compromise daily use like bottoming out and bouncing around from lowering it or having to hear all the extra noise from substantially changing the exhaust system. I can hear a lot of road noise as it is. Again, this is all in my opinion.
Judging by your other posts, I'm going to assume that you want something that will impress your friends when you mash the gas on a straight road. The "best bang for the buck" is a turbo.
You have the modding itch, that's good. It'll never go away either. Sacrifice a bit on this car and minimize the mods. It's already been in a few accidents and it has a very weak aftermarket. You're going to take a big loss on this car once you decide to get rid of it and that will only be increased with every aftermarket thing you add. Remember, each mod you make to this car is one that you could be making on your next car.

Rational, I like it.

Die trying
December 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Remember, each mod you make to this car is one that you could be making on your next car.

that is neither rational nor a good rationale.

chrisrunsi
December 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I thought I was going to keep this car stock. I've had it for about a month and I've already swapped the headunit, roof bars, rear sway, sri and piggy. If you've got the itch scratch it! But realize what the "reasonable" potential of this car is. Its either going to a nice little increase from I/H/E or go all out with turbo. Just keep in mind that the car was built around ~150hp motor. Supporting modifications will be needed for anything wild.

Back to your real topic though, best bang for buck is the header, piggy then intake "performace" wise. Rear sway, tires and brakes for handling. Coilovers are money but will make a huge difference. I messed with springs on my neon and was never happy, bought some coils and kick myself for not doing it to start.

SX604
December 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Remember, each mod you make to this car is one that you could be making on your next car.

This goes for everything. Why eat steak once a week at home when you can save all your money and go to the most expensive restaurant in the world and eat a steak there every ten years? :P

Either way, a car is not an investment, it's a money pit. I believe that people will spend money on their cars because they like to enjoy life and treat themselves. If I wanted to save money I would drive an old corolla or civic with parts that are a dime a dozen.

kazam58
December 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Either way, a car is not an investment, it's a money pit. I believe that people will spend money on their cars because they like to enjoy life and treat themselves. If I wanted to save money I would drive an old corolla or civic with parts that are a dime a dozen.

I completely agree. For some of us, half the fun is simply working on the car. No matter what it is, if it's my garage, it's getting modded simply because I can mod it. I bought a Ninja 250 for my first bike and ended up putting as much money into it as I bought it for. Some people would look at me and ask me why the hell I wouldn't just buy a 600 and leave it alone; it has four times the power stock. It's because modding a car, bike, or whatever it is, is always going to be fun. Just don't overdo it. For most of us, this is a daily driver, and at the end of the day, it should still be just that. But that doesn't mean it can't be a mean daily driver :) The answer for every car is the same though, if you're going to mod it, do the exhaust, intake, and get a chip (which is the piggyback in our car). For me though, it's all about going through the corners fast. Get good tires, a solid suspension set up, and make sure your brakes are up to par. That's what makes the ride more fun, because unless you're on a race track, you're not allowed to go all that fast anyway.

SX4DUDE2013
December 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I completely agree. For some of us, half the fun is simply working on the car. No matter what it is, if it's my garage, it's getting modded simply because I can mod it. I bought a Ninja 250 for my first bike and ended up putting as much money into it as I bought it for. Some people would look at me and ask me why the hell I wouldn't just buy a 600 and leave it alone; it has four times the power stock. It's because modding a car, bike, or whatever it is, is always going to be fun. Just don't overdo it. For most of us, this is a daily driver, and at the end of the day, it should still be just that. But that doesn't mean it can't be a mean daily driver :) The answer for every car is the same though, if you're going to mod it, do the exhaust, intake, and get a chip (which is the piggyback in our car). For me though, it's all about going through the corners fast. Get good tires, a solid suspension set up, and make sure your brakes are up to par. That's what makes the ride more fun, because unless you're on a race track, you're not allowed to go all that fast anyway.

I completley agree with ur point. I like th fact that everyone (my friends) get in the car with me and say...."wow. This is nice for a Suzuki"...or when i go to the store, a person will ask "nice color. what kinda car is that"...thats what i think is so cool. That my car looks like no one elses. I bet their are a TON of silver Camry's on the road...thats why I dont want a silver Camry. lol. I like having something unique :) Modding is the only way to differ from the rest.

Adema135
December 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I don't want you guys to get the wrong idea.. The point I was trying to make was that the car was almost totalled twice. IMO I'd watch how much money I spent in aftermarket parts for a car that's been seriously compromised like that.

Fivehunsky
December 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Wow, this forum really depresses me. Half the people here dont really want their cars. I understand that the suzuki is an entry level vehicle and alot of guys or gals got them as presents or first cars. But, that doesnt mean they arent fun and a good platform.

To the people who were saying the driver was "defective" because he realized how "slow" his sx4 was compared to a 2011 400 horsepower mustang. That just sounded uneducated. The suzuki is only down 250 horsepower or so. It should totally feel the same. I own a modded s197 true track only car. When I get out of it after a day at the track and into my wifes sx4 I feel like Im driving a limited go kart. Fun to drive and all but very very slow. Its true, these cars are slow. But, dont feel bad, they werent meant to be as fast as a modern day sports car. They are good at what they were meant to do. Be a fun mpg car with room for friends. They also look great and are super fun to drive.

And to the comment about a stock sx4 not swaying from the factory. You might want to check if they didnt replace your shocks with steel rods. The rear suspension on these cars is HORRIBLY soft from the factory. You can almost bounce the rear off the ground at times. Anything you can do to improve this would help a ton. I hate to break it to you but the factory suspension in the rear just isnt good. Luckily someone here found replacement shocks that will work. And a sway bar, and springs. :)

All this talk about "your next mod could just be money spent on a better car" is kinda rediculous. Why post on a forum dedicated to enjoying these cars and supposedly making them better if all you want to do is sell it and upgrade to something else? I went out of my way to order a manual awd sx4 for my wife. It was a complete headache. And, for the money, I could have just bought a used sti or c5 vette. But, I didnt, I wanted this thing for her. We both like it alot. I am choosing to mod it knowing full well that it will never be as fast as a stock 2011 v6 mustang. Thats sad, but, who cares. Its about having fun with what you have. Why do people on here.. and the old site.. constantly dog on other members when they want to make there car more fun to drive for THEM? If its not your thing then sorry.. but, some of us just like tinkering for the sake of tinkering. There will never be an equal return for any mod you do on almost any vehicle. But, its worth it for the enjoyment you get out of just playing with the car.

Anyway, I dont mean to come in here and ruffle feathers or make anyone mad.. but, I just find it very.. well. lame that members of a club dedicated to a certain car dont seem to like their cars. Or, if not that, other people who like having fun with theirs.

Also, to the op, remember that no matter what you do this is YOUR car. If you enjoy it then thats all that matters. :D

jerdog
December 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Also, to the op, remember that no matter what you do this is YOUR car. If you enjoy it then thats all that matters. :D
Great point. Its true that every "improvement" to the car will more than likely lower its resale value because its less than stock. However, it is YOUR car and YOU are the one driving it. Do what you want to it to make it your own and be happy; just remember to keep it safe (I'm always gonna harp on that). If the satisfaction you get from modding the car mitigates the drop in resale value and overall cost of the mods, then by all means do it up.

Wyliec
December 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
"your next mod could just be money spent on a better car" That'll only leave less money to mod that car!

I don't own anything stock, never have, and probably never will! No matter what, I'll tinker with it. I love my car. Sure, at the time if I was looking at used I wouldn't have been looking for an SX4, but I was looking for a new car. The SX4 just happened to catch my eye as I drove past the dealer ( Until I went car shopping I hadn't even heard of one! ). I liked the car, the price, and 0% financing sealed the deal for me. No regrets whatsoever! I I probably won't stop modding it either!

sx4k
December 20th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Suzuki made the 2010 6spd sx4 the strongest in it class

i was able to buy stronger car but i choose the crossover 6spd sx4 because i love it and i will mod it in future even if it is not fast