PDA

View Full Version : turbo swift from factory

GSX4
December 14th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I just stumbled across this have a look http://carsales.mobi/news/2010/small-passenger/suzuki/no-tsis-for-now-suzuki-22943?Cr=0&trecs=7685

punksmurph
December 15th, 2010, 12:46 AM
So no turbo's from Suzuki. I am not surprised, they have lead the way in NA engines in Japan. I just wish they would spend some time on DI and a 11:1 CR for the SX4 and Swift. I would love to see the 1.4L with DI and 11:1 CR here in the states. It could easily get close to 120HP still get great MPG's, that car would be a blast.

The Jesuit
December 15th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Suzuki has a long history of building low cost vehicles for emerging markets, and the VW-Zuk partnership is no more then a way for VW to gain insight into how to do the same successfully. I believe there will be a vehicle or two (read: super econo-boxes) that will come from this un-holy alliance, where platforms and engines will be shared, and will probably be sold in places where most Americans have never been or even heard of.

Avalanche
December 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I would object strongly to that, but - after reading the things linked above - the outlook isn't so good indeed :(
What were they thinking when they developed the new 1.4 70kW engine? Who needs another 70kW engine in the Swift?
And where's the turboed Sport??

Wyliec
December 15th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Bleh, another fantastic chassis from Suzuki with no power. 93hp? just toss the 'Busa engine in it and call it a day. 197hp and 113lb-ft, out of 1.3L. They have the technology to make very powerful small engines but for whatever reason they won't apply that tech to their cars. Apparently the automotive side doesn't care about performance, and adequate is good enough.

Thirty-Nine
December 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
at this point, I'm just hoping ANY Swift makes it to our shores.

punksmurph
December 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
at this point, I'm just hoping ANY Swift makes it to our shores.

I gave up this year, I just don't think it is going to happen. Suzuki is in such a hole that they may just try to keep what they have and move with it.

Die trying
December 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
GM muscled them out of the dealerships after the split. They refuse to advertise right now and i have been come to believe it is because of the lack of dealer support in the US. Our greatest hope now is that the suzuki vw alliance will allow suzuki to rebuild it's dealer network. If that happens we might see the swift hit our shores. If not, we will probably be owners of the last generation of suzukis exported to north america. As far as the engine choice goes, suzuki has a long history of building small displacement motors in both turbo and NA. They could have built a more advanced or more powerful motor if that had been their goal. This was probably the most economical option. I would bet that right now economical is the goal.

punksmurph
December 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Another thing is that Suzuki really focuses on emerging markets and low cost. I think the idea of a smaller engine is having it get the most MPG with out having to add a lot of expensive tech that would raise the price. I would love to see them also focus a little on the top of their markets and get a couple really strong small engines they could just stick in a US bound Swift.

Maiden69
December 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
they already did it in the 80's and early 90's with the turbo Swifts... and they were not that much expensive than the non-turbo. I don't see a reason not to do it, the only problem is the lack of support here in the states. I rather buy a Suzuki than any other american made car in the same price bracket if they bring the power up just a notch. That Kizashi with the V6 is looking very tempting.

Now on the link, I dont want to see VW engines on the Suk... what I want is a turbo Suzuki engine... they have all the technology available, granted it might add a few grands to the price, but that is not too much still compared with the market. And VW needs to bring back the regular Jetta-Golf-Rabbit with the 2.0T and not reseerve it only for the GTI-GLI...

Avalanche
December 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Generally, Suzuki seems to struggle to hold to all the strings tight. They want to build cheap economical cars but have only now been getting more attention because of loading the Swift with safety features (7 airbags, ESP etc.). They want to build sturdy 4x4s but customers prefer comfortable and luxury-packed 'keep-me-off-rough-terrain' SUVs. They have got some acclaim for the Swift Sport but now refuse to power it up to keep up with the competition. They come up with the Kizashi which is all bells and whistles but for the underpowered engine and the lack of turbodiesel, the real sales driver in Europe.
Hard to comprehend :(

punksmurph
December 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I don't want to see VW parts end up in a Suzuki, although I would love to see Suzuki dealerships along with VW's. I would love to see a turbo 1.4L engine, but at the same time I wish Suzuki would update the tech inside the engine. Its great they now have VVT but Direct Injection would be nice to see and how about a better layout with the exhaust side of the engine facing the firewall.

Thirty-Nine
December 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I'm with you, Smurph.

GINGE
December 17th, 2010, 02:54 AM
why would u not want vw parts in a zuk. vw are reknown for the quality of their cars. my parents had a mk5 golf and now a tiguan. if i could buy a new car again i would buy the polo over my sx4. i know its the wrong place to say it but i would. i've had my fair share of euro cars and their finish and comfort are better than that of my zuk. if vw and zuk share parts so be it. it will be better for us all in the long run. 1 car maker cant make it on their own these days. all have an investing share in each other some way or another

Thirty-Nine
December 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM
why would u not want vw parts in a zuk. vw are reknown for the quality of their cars. my parents had a mk5 golf and now a tiguan. if i could buy a new car again i would buy the polo over my sx4. i know its the wrong place to say it but i would. i've had my fair share of euro cars and their finish and comfort are better than that of my zuk. if vw and zuk share parts so be it. it will be better for us all in the long run. 1 car maker cant make it on their own these days. all have an investing share in each other some way or another

I'm glad to hear you've had positive experiences with Volkswagen products. I have not. My wife's '94 Jetta was a turd. Everyone I know—really everyone—that has owned a VW has had numerous problems with them, mostly electrical issues. Plus, they're usually expensive to fix. VW quality scores are always near the bottom and I wouldn't want that to trickle into my Suzuki.

Die trying
December 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
+1 if i wanted a vw i would have bought one. They have some great innovations and some fun cars but they are unnecessarily complicated and do not have the durability i desire. Ever seen a mechanic who drives volkswagons? Unless they are a vw mechanic the answer is probably no. My best friend is a mechanic and you should hear him rag on volkswagons and audi's. No thanks. Suzuki does more with less, thats why vw is seeking to learn from suzuki, not the other way around.

mbs1
December 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
Here where I live there are a lot of 20+ years old Suzuki Swifts on the streets, but it's very hard to see VW Polo of the same age, except on a junk yard.

Paawpabear
December 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I just wish Suzuki had a descent dealer network. We have a half-a____ed dealer 8 miles a way, but the next closest is 90 miles away. This sucks!!!

Maiden69
December 28th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I just wish Suzuki had a descent dealer network. We have a half-a____ed dealer 8 miles a way, but the next closest is 90 miles away. This sucks!!!

you think that is bad? When I was in San Angelo TX for school my AC broke down and I had to drive almost 175 miles to the nearest dealer in the area!!! That sucked! When I got there I had almost 60 miles left on my warranty!!!

anonymous
January 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
screw VW for reliability, i agree with them being complete turds lol. a huge group a couple towns over from me pretty much only drives "V-Dubs", and all they have is problem after problem. some are older, most are brand spankin new. a lot of electrical issues and car fires :(

rook
March 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I went from Audi to Suzuki because of the reliability coupled with iAWD capability - this whole thing just kills me. In a perfect world, VW performance would bleed into Suzuki (or like has been mentioned above, Suzuki performance capabilities would be driven into the automobiles from the cycle division), although I feel like the opposite will happen and VW will drop a deuce on Suzuki.

redzuki
March 31st, 2011, 05:25 AM
being an ex-vdub owner.... i completely agree. even though i have to say i got COMPLETELY lucky with mine.... more should have went wrong with it over the years than actually did from reading the boards and hearing what other folks dealt with. i got lucky. but then again, it wasn't a turbo. i am hoping for some better reliability with my suzuki.