PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this exhaust?

Meenkya
May 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Saw this while browsing on Yoybuy, wish I could hear it. I would love bolt up dual exhaust.

http://www.yoybuy.com/en/show/2406991836/

So what do you all think?

EDIT: I just translated the page and am seriously thinking of getting this. Not to bad a price to try, unless someone totally blasts this.

AdR
May 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I don't know. I find dual exhaust tips kinda rice. I mean, what's the point of duals when they're not really duals at all? Muscle cars and other V engine cars have them but because they're dual headers, cats, mufflers, etc. But why do it in a 4cyl engine? It's just another show and no go gimmick if you ask me. Looks great, but really doesn't do anything for performance, it sometimes can even hurt....

Meenkya
May 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
"Looks great", its as simple as that. Mainly the unique factor. Don't expect much, if any performance gain but certainly don't want a loss. Wondered if anyone could comment on the amount of chambers and it's possible sound. Its only rice if it sounds like bees in a coffee can, IMHO.

B-Spec
May 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Those dual tips are going to stick down below the rear bumper and look ridiculous. It isn't going to look clean at all. Its going to look like you glued a couple pipes to the bottom of the bumper cover. I would pass on that.

The Shadow
May 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I'd also think about the exhaust coming out on the left side. ???
The right side of the bumper is already notched out for an exhaust pipe, but not the left side. Eh?

So I hope that anyone who gets that dual exhaust system is also good at body work.

There are plenty of places on an SX4 where some money can be better spent, and with an increase in performance too.

:cool:

johnsnownw
May 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I also think it's a bad idea, as it just doesn't look right poking out from under the bumper like that. Not to mention that it will look silly on a colder day, with 70% of the exhaust coming out of the Right side. Granted living in SE Florida you would have fewer of those days...

AdR
May 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM
"Looks great", its as simple as that. Mainly the unique factor.

Its only rice if it sounds like bees in a coffee can, IMHO.

Looks great if well executed as when it comes OEM but it doesn't make it less rice. As many have mentioned, the rear lacks a cutout on the left. I just can't find the beauty in spending that much money on something that does absolutely nothing other than hang down there as a dead paperweight...

BTW: Rice is a performance part that should be for a purpose but doesn't work. Like unfunctional hood scoops, unconnected intercoolers, ridiculously big spoilers and splitters on slow cars, dual fake exhaust, etc. That's where the word rice comes from: "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. (R.I.C.E.)Parts put on cars to make them look fast, when they have no internal tuning, and are actually slow as hell."

Meenkya
May 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Great points (one cutout, hanging to low, dead weight, etc), I just looked under the rear bumper. It would look terrible. Thanks for for setting me straight!

mcmuda
May 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
If you had the swift rear bumper then it would look nice. You could easily pull off a dual setup with that look. If it's a stock bumper, it'll just look ridiculous

Wagoneer
May 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think it's rice, as long as it's tucked up nicely and clean looking. I'd want a shot from the back level with the bottom of the car to see what's hanging down and exposed.

What car anymore has a real dual exhaust anyways? Not even modern V8 or V6 cars have 'real' dual exhausts. I think dual exhaust just adds balance to the back-end of the vehicle.

I personally like the stock look of not being able to see the exhaust at all. But I'd be game for a nice and clean dual exhaust that's nicely tucked up and out of the way. Gets rid of the big, ugly suitcase muffler hanging down at the rear too.

Meenkya
May 21st, 2012, 06:38 AM
I don't think it's rice, as long as it's tucked up nicely and clean looking. I'd want a shot from the back level with the bottom of the car to see what's hanging down and exposed.

What car anymore has a real dual exhaust anyways? Not even modern V8 or V6 cars have 'real' dual exhausts. I think dual exhaust just adds balance to the back-end of the vehicle.

I personally like the stock look of not being able to see the exhaust at all. But I'd be game for a nice and clean dual exhaust that's nicely tucked up and out of the way. Gets rid of the big, ugly suitcase muffler hanging down at the rear too.

Thank you. I am looking at some ways to add/modify the second cutout. It has to look very clean or for me its a no-go. I wouldnt even mind paying the couple hundred to try it but it must look good. I know the performance wont be much better but it would look nice. Talking to my brother who drives a Carrera 4S who is always enthusiastic with my little mods and appreciates my clean kinda euro style but he thinks putting a turbo on a sub 20k car is "rice", so to each his own. Still, would love a turbo kit though.

automat
May 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
there's only one problem with this dual exhaust and it's the flange connecting to the rest of the system. I personally like fake dual exhausts. most high end 4 cylinder cars come from factory with dual tips. the acura tsx comes to mind... the newer subarus too have dual tips with a single exhaust, even if they DO have 2 cylinder banks...

one could cut a notch on the left side of the sx4 bumber. or both to make it "even"

Wagoneer
May 21st, 2012, 08:03 PM
most high end 4 cylinder cars come from factory with dual tips. the acura tsx comes to mind...

one could cut a notch on the left side of the sx4 bumber. or both to make it "even"
GTI, Tiguan, Neon SRT-4, Caliber SRT-4, Mazda 3, TSX, RDX, Volvo S40/V50/C30, BMW 335, every single current Mercedes 4 cyl (minus B and A class), Fiat 500 Abarth, EVO X, just to name a few cars with one bank of cylinders and dual tips - not even mentioning cars with two banks of cylinders that have a single exhaust but still have dual tips... Looks like there's a lot of ricey cars out there. Are Mercedes Quad tip AMG cars ricey because every 2 cylinders don't have a pipe leading to each tip? If anything is ricey, it's the IS-F with it's completely fake and ugly exhaust tips that aren't even real exhaust tips. That to me is as bad as a honda guy stuffing an intercooler in his bumper that's not even hooked up to anything.

/rant

I think the only way it would look good is to notch the bumper and make sure the whole system is tucked up out of view. But then we also have no idea how it sounds. What does it do for hangers? I always thought the stock hangers were horrible, the entire exaust moves around a lot when you're driving. I think if you could see two big chrome tips it would just make it more apparent.

AdR
May 21st, 2012, 09:13 PM
GTI, Tiguan, Neon SRT-4, Caliber SRT-4, Mazda 3, TSX, RDX, Volvo S40/V50/C30, BMW 335, every single current Mercedes 4 cyl (minus B and A class), Fiat 500 Abarth, EVO X, just to name a few cars with one bank of cylinders and dual tips - not even mentioning cars with two banks of cylinders that have a single exhaust but still have dual tips... Looks like there's a lot of ricey cars out there. Are Mercedes Quad tip AMG cars ricey because every 2 cylinders don't have a pipe leading to each tip? If anything is ricey, it's the IS-F with it's completely fake and ugly exhaust tips that aren't even real exhaust tips. That to me is as bad as a honda guy stuffing an intercooler in his bumper that's not even hooked up to anything.

/rant

I think the only way it would look good is to notch the bumper and make sure the whole system is tucked up out of view. But then we also have no idea how it sounds. What does it do for hangers? I always thought the stock hangers were horrible, the entire exaust moves around a lot when you're driving. I think if you could see two big chrome tips it would just make it more apparent.

Just because it comes like that from factory it doesn't makes it less ricey. The dual exhaust have been done to satisfy the customer who likes dual tips on the back, no other reason at all. It's like chrome on the 70's, it was everywhere just because customers loved it. Trends come and go, but reality really doesn't. Rice or not it's the vehicle owners decision and whatever he/she likes they're entitled to do because it's their car.

On a side note, have you seen the video of the Zuk car from RRM? You know the blue one? It has duals out back and when it launches those suckers just want to pound the ground of how much they moved. Looked horrible...

Wagoneer
May 21st, 2012, 10:05 PM
On a side note, have you seen the video of the Zuk car from RRM? You know the blue one? It has duals out back and when it launches those suckers just want to pound the ground of how much they moved. Looked horrible...
Completely agree. The stock hangers are pathetic. They literally let the exhaust 'hang', they don't do anything to keep it in place. That's why I think something would need to be done to fix that before you put two large compeltely visible chrome tips out the back.