PDA

View Full Version : SRI sucks... (heat)

ryguy
May 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
so by now we all know that the road race SRI, as well as other SRI's are great when your engine is cold or you are driving at a decent speed, as well as losing a little low end power only to gain it in the mid to upper RPM's. But what have others done to remedy this issue?

I have version 2 which is the aluminum intake tube and in after driving the car for anymore than 5 minutes, especially in the hot summer months, to the touch this thing is on fire! Heating the air on the way into the engine by convection even more so than what the filter is already grabbing. So the car feels boggy at best when its +30 degrees. Not great for the gas mileage i'm sure...

I was thinking of wrapping the pipe with either heat reflective tape or exhaust wrap and finding a heat shield (that fits around the filter) to keep some of the heat away from it. But the upper rad hose is so close to the filter that i'm not sure which shield would fit. So i ask if any of you have or know of a shield that fits? or what is a better solution?

I know someone is going to suggest the K&N Apollo but i don't want to spend ~$260

Die trying
May 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Then find it on the internet for $100. Heat wrap is a great way to insulate that hot underhood air the sri would still be sucking in.

One of these days i will post pics of my sri + apollo.

ryguy
May 17th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Touche.. you are persistent in recommending the Apollo. You should be a K&N rep.

ryguy
May 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM
today could be one of those days to post those pics...;)

Meenkya
May 18th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Then find it on the internet for $100. Heat wrap is a great way to insulate that hot underhood air the sri would still be sucking in.

One of these days i will post pics of my sri + apollo.

Ha! I don't think he actually has one, we keep hearing about pictures...hint hint!

Capoken
May 18th, 2012, 07:39 AM
What Apollo PN will bolt right up to the 2.5" RRM SRI?

TRS
May 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
On my 2008 I used an Injen heat shield, and zip-tied a length of pipe insulation foam over the radiator hose where it passe below the cone filter. The black tube on the right leads from the upper left corner of the grill to feed outside air to where the filter ingests it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/SX4/2010-05-11001-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/SX4/2010-05-11003-2.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/SX4/2010-05-11002-1.jpg

I didn't have one, but you can also lace on a Thermo-Tech cool-air tube heat shield (http://www.thermotec.com/products/14500-cool-air-tube-heat-shield.html).

ryguy
May 18th, 2012, 09:06 AM
That and the RRM SRI is a pricey combo, if you paid full retail for both systems that is..

From what i gather, the apollo is basically universal as long as you find one with the correct diameter and couplings. Maybe a call or email to K&N would steer you in the right direction as there's not one listed specifically for our cars. I've seen it for $100 online and will stongly consider it, but my main priority now is getting the ECU tuned which is gonna cost $500 or so.

I also just thought about the shield for the filter and some type of thermo heat wrap for the intake tube and maybe the rad hose as well and taking my fog light cover out (i do not have fogs) and running a hose/tube to the filter such as TRS has done... at least until i see these pics that Die Trying has locked up in a vault somewhere that entices me to do it properly :hi:

B-Spec
May 18th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I still don't understand why anyone would put a SRI on their car but I guess that is just me. The stock air box sucks in much cooler air then an SRI..

automat
May 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I still don't understand why anyone would put a SRI on their car but I guess that is just me. The stock air box sucks in much cooler air then an SRI..

same here. at least they're not calling the thing a CAI anymore. there's nothing to gain from that overpriced piece of pipe. blocking off the rear half of the stock air inlet (the part that sits on top of the rad) would give much better results, even better for those with modified grills.

B-Spec
May 18th, 2012, 09:53 AM
same here. at least they're not calling the thing a CAI anymore. there's nothing to gain from that overpriced piece of pipe. blocking off the rear half of the stock air inlet (the part that sits on top of the rad) would give much better results, even better for those with modified grills.

I actually have a CAI on my car. My filter is down below the radiator. It actually sucks in cooler air.. lol

ryguy
May 18th, 2012, 09:59 AM
i guess its a trade off.. less volume of cooler air vs. more volume warmer air?? if i was to do it over again, I would not have gotten the SRI but since I have it on and I paid like $240 for it and it gives the car a more aggressive sound vs. stock i figure i'm stuck with it and either try to improve it or sell it to someone here on the forum... If i do the latter, we didn't do a very good job of "selling it" :hi:.

ryguy
May 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
totally agree with the overpriced tube. I've definitely had buyers remorse since i got the thing.

soslow
May 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
You guys do realize that the filter is only sucking in warm engine at idle, right? Once the car is moving there is decent airflow thru the engine bay. Insulate the sri pipe and you'd likely be better off than lengthening your intake tract.

Meenkya
May 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
You guys do realize that the filter is only sucking in warm engine at idle, right? Once the car is moving there is decent airflow thru the engine bay. Insulate the sri pipe and you'd likely be better off than lengthening your intake tract.

I have thought many times about putting some vents in the aft most portion off the hood to better facilitate cooling the bay while moving. I don't mind cutting the hood I just have not found vents that look good to me. That and I really don't know what I'm talking about, just seems logical.

ryguy
May 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM

i realize this, and that does account for the loss in low end power. Most of the time its fine, its only on really hot days that you mash the gas and it feels like you go nowhere. The SRI for the price, just could have been designed better i guess. Maybe came with an insulated intake air tube and filter shield instead of me having to search for and buy more parts for it.

I too would like a couple of vents in the hood for heat release and a ram air effect. Plus the hood would give a more aggressive look.

i've heard the optimal engine air temp is around 7 degrees celsius (45 fahrenheit), not sure if thats 100% accurate. But how cold is too cold for an engine? it gets to -50 celsius (-58 fahrenheit) on occasion where i live, soI've always wondered about this...

Schultzey
May 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I have done some comparisons of intake air temps vs. ambient air temps between the SRI w/ K&N RX-4950 and the stock intake. In my observations I noticed both intakes have similar temps while not moving(at idle) or traveling under 30mph. At 60 mph it is very noticeable that the stock intake temps drop much faster relative to ambient air temps than the SRI does. Some sort of modification to bring cooler air through the SRI is needed for it to be effective. The K&N Apollo filter is a great option to do this providing you place the hose in a position to take in cool air.

Wagoneer
May 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Most aftermarket intake systems are bogus. The only real gains you get from a 'short ram' intake is when your OEM intake just can't flow enough volume of air for how much the engine needs. And considering even with all the bolt-on mods available for the SX4 the stock intake still isn't a bottle neck, they're all pretty useless.

Even with the extra flow through the engine bay at speed, it's still hot air from the engine. The stock intake gets air from outside which is always going to be the coolest.

So with the 1-2hp you gain at some ridiculous RPM, you lose 5hp in the lower revs from heat soak, not to mention all the torque you lose.

Die trying
May 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
APOLLO! Read my how to, its easy squeezy lemon piezy and pulls air from the stock location in the grill. I had the rrm cai first but i like this much better. I hould have to be underwater up to the windows before worrying about waterlock and i dont have issues with the filter being snowpacked like i did with the cai. The first time i popped my hood and found the cai packed in snow and ice that had built up on the splash guard i decided the cai had to go.

Meenkya
May 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM
The more I read and hear from you folks, I'm happy I have the K&N filter only and can look to other areas to put my money into this car!

The Shadow
May 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
X2, from another Floridian!

The K&N works great down here.

:cool:

Caterham
May 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I never liked the look of the SRI from a heat viewpoint. I went K&N also.

pecci
May 20th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I think those that drive the highways more than the street, and may want more top end performance, may benefit. I think that's what it comes down to.