PDA

View Full Version : Performance Mods Recommendations sought

Calvinus
April 30th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Hi there from Singapore.

Would like to get some recommendations on how I can tune up my ride to perform better. I have been thinking of adding a piggyback ECU but am not sure if all stock cars are the same and I can fit a RRM piggyback ECU designed for use in North America in my stock Singaporean car.

The traffic regulator in my country is rather strict with regard to modifications, with the general rule that most things must be left stock. See guidelines posted in link if interested : http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/modifications_and_vehoffences/modification_guide/modification_allowed_lta.html

The current specifications of my SX4 is as follows

Suzuki SX4 Hatchback 1.6 (A)

Engine
Engine capacity 1,586 cc
Engine type 4-cylinders 16-valves VVT
Compression ratio 9
Bore x Stroke (78.0 x 83.0) mm
Power 102 bhp
Torque 140 Nm

Performance
Acceleration 12.3s (0-100 kmh)
Top speed 170 kmh
Fuel consumption 13.7 km\L

Misc technical data
Transmission 4-speed (A)
Drive type FWD

Measurements
Body type Hatchback
Dimensions (L x W x H) (4135 x 1755 x 1605) mm
Wheelbase 2,500 mm
Min turning radius 5,300 mm
Kerb weight 1,220 kg
Fuel tank capacity 50 L

Brakes
Brakes (Front) Ventilated disc
Brakes (Rear) Drum

Suspension
Suspension (Front) MacPherson strut
Suspension (Rear) Torsion beam

Any recommendations would be appreciated

vtec5045
May 3rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'm from sg too.. Still wandering whether is it the same theory as modding a honda car.

Wagoneer
May 5th, 2012, 06:30 PM
You have a 1.6L engine in a 2800lb car. I think you have to come to terms that it's never going to be a spirited performer. Focus on handling as acceleration is kind of a lost cause - especially with the 4 speed automatic.

soslow
May 5th, 2012, 09:02 PM
You have a 1.6L engine in a 2800lb car. I think you have to come to terms that it's never going to be a spirited performer. Focus on handling as acceleration is kind of a lost cause - especially with the 4 speed automatic.

Very much this.

Also: Automatics are soul sucking creation of a vengeful god.

Calvinus
May 8th, 2012, 05:17 AM
What kind of handling mods do you recommend then?'

Thanks

soslow
May 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM
What kind of handling mods do you recommend then?'

Thanks

At a minimum, a rear sway bar. I would also look at lighter wheels. Going with wider wheels/tires may or may not be a viable option for your car/driving style but adding some lightness to unsprung rotational mass is always a good thing (pro-tip: 1 pound of rotational mass is, in terms of acceleration performance, worth about 4 lbs. of static chassis weight, that adds up and multiplies out to some big gains). I cut off just over 9 pounds per corner with my wheel tire package while adding 20mm worth of rubber to each corner, between all that and a superior compound tire the difference in ride, handling and outright grip is phenomenal. Until the car gets coilovers in just a couple more days it's actually rides nicer and is easier to drive with the lighter wheels/tires. You may not notice that quite as much being an automatic but it will undoubtedly help. After you improve your tires and add a sway, if you want more consider lowering or coilovers.

Calvinus
May 8th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Hmmm... Nice alloy wheels are very expensive over where I am and my car came with stock alloy wheels which are supposed to be already quite light so I am not sure if I want to go that route. That said I have been looking again and again at the VOLKS RAYs, Monster-sport and OZ racing wheels. Will definitely look at the rear sway bars. The Ultra Racing brand is made in malaysia, which is pretty near by, so I am sure I can get those at a decent price...

Am also thinking of adding a Simota Carbon Charger, the "Shark" CBII - 259... anyone used those and are they any good?

soslow
May 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hmmm... Nice alloy wheels are very expensive over where I am and my car came with stock alloy wheels which are supposed to be already quite light so I am not sure if I want to go that route. That said I have been looking again and again at the VOLKS RAYs, Monster-sport and OZ racing wheels. Will definitely look at the rear sway bars. The Ultra Racing brand is made in malaysia, which is pretty near by, so I am sure I can get those at a decent price...

Am also thinking of adding a Simota Carbon Charger, the "Shark" CBII - 259... anyone used those and are they any good?

Mine had alloy wheels to. Still saved a tone of weight over stock.

vtec5045
May 21st, 2012, 07:49 AM
I intend to change header and operate muffler, as well as a open pod. Just a normal mod first I believe it will improve a bit of accelerate. But I'm just curious will it be lag if setup on an auto car?

Die trying
May 21st, 2012, 07:52 AM
I think there is a supercharger for the m16. That's what i would look into.

vtec5045
May 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM
To mod a SX4 performance is not easy. Unlike Honda, the performance are all ready made and easily get. Example Apexi VAFC, Hondata, bla bla bla.. For SX4, I only heard of people using Unichip in Singapore.

Calvinus
May 21st, 2012, 07:58 AM
Bro vtec5045,

Good to see a fellow Singaporean in the forum...

I also had plans to upgrade the muffler but have concerns about getting into trouble with LTA and voiding my warranty... so i'm still thinking about it... In the meantime, I have placed an order for a carbon charger which should be coming in a couple of weeks...

vtec5045
May 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM
In fact I am not really urge for the performance. As it really costy. It will linked up to a lot of things like my previous Civic. Currently I just wish to do up the outlook to become bigger size. I wander have you seen a Lifted SX4 in sg? I had get to know this guy Michael (nick: Ambious). I like his ride. I park beside him and my one really look small.
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l631/vtec5045/SX4.jpg
As of modding to a better response performance, I will give a try to change Open Pod, header and exhaust. But most important to me is Lift-kit and terrain tires. lolx.

Caterham
May 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Tires dude! Proxes rule.

Calvinus
August 8th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Problem is header//exhaust usually not LTA approved...