PDA

View Full Version : Soslow's "Soup" or My plans for the SportBack. review/critique/flame

soslow
April 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
As some of you fully realize I've waffled quite a bit on whether to keep the Suzuki and whether it's worth upgrading. Personally, I've held since I bought the car that the only thing it needed to be motoring nirvana (relative to being a hot hatch) was another 30 hp, 20 ft-lbs. of torque and a limited slip.

After some soul searching, a failed state inspection (tires at 1/32) and ECU options finally opening up, I decided "what the hell, I really do love this car so lets see where we can go." What follows is a Modification list that I would love to be critiqued and told what I can genuinely anticipate from the car. They are also listed in descending order of expected completion.

Rims: Replace factory 17x6.5 with wider, lighter rims.
BOUGHT!: 17x8, +45mm, 15.6 lbs. Kosei K-1 Racing/ TS version. Made in Japan.

Tires: 225/40/ZR17 General G-Max AS-03 (BOUGHT!)
Extremely well rated and recommended. I will be weighing the wheel/tire combo that's removed as well as what I am putting on, hopefully I'll manage to save some weight even tho I'm increasing the size.

TO DO's: In anticipated order of completion

Roll and pull fenders: Neighbor has a friend who does amazing work and for only $50 a fender. the fenders will be rolled then pulled to match the edge of the wheels/tires front and back. Should look nice and is preperation for...

Coilovers w/ Rear sway and skid plate: Teins with camber bolts and RRM rear sway, the Megans scare me (perceived low quality/lack of R&D) and while I found some Suzuki Sports online the price is steep and shipping/fitment uncertain. The skid plate is so I don't rip something out from underneath my freshly lowered car like my neighbor did to his GTI a few weeks ago.

Time frame for these: hoping by mid June at the LATEST.

Exhaust: Apparently there's a shop nearby that offers mandrel bent custom exhaust at a very very reasonable price (same or less than what you might pay for a bolt on mail-order system) I will be using the Magnaflow 14210 paired with either 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" (looking for input here!) I may also go with a high flow cat/s for the secondary/all the cats if the shop/feedback from here indicates there are good gains to be made from it and it can stay emissions legal/warranty safe.

Intake: Still doing a lot of data gathering here, Currently deciding between the K&N drop-in, RRM SRI w/ K&N filter, or a RRM SRI w/ K&N Typhoon (Looking for input here!) Are there other filters that are as efficient (airflow and filtration levels) that don't require me to **** around with the filter/oil/etc?

Dynotronics ECU Flash: Because warranty and power, and the piggyback looks like a disaster.

Time Frame: Hoping late fall at the latest.

Brakes: R1Concepts slotted rotors with Stoptech pads and RRM SS lines. (Not going drilled because drilled rotors = stupid/pointless/dangerous)

Time frame: Spring 2013?

ODDS AND ENDS

Lightwerkz headlights conversion: Would love em, maybe when I'm done with the performance stuff if I can find $1500ish laying around I'll go for it.

Polarized tint: I like tint, but hate what it does to night vision, hoping polarized doesn't do that? And I think silver windows on my silver car might look sharp. Or it'll look like complete ***, tastes are pretty subjective.

Short shifter: Yeah, maybe one day somebody will make something that works with the 6-speed.....

Upgraded clutch?

Any other ideas? comments? Suggestions?

pecci
April 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Good you are sharing your plans, & glad you decided to stick withe SX4. It'll be great hearing about the progression.

As far as intake is concerned ... I hear the SRI alone may actually hurt, low end & improve top end. The idea of the typhoon, is interesting, but I don't know of any reliable opinions. I personally have the K&N drop-in, and no doubt notice more responsiveness, along with a couple more hp.

Have you thought about a header?

Here is info on the improvement made on an Aero, with 2.0. Believe it or not they dyno'd before & after a installing a ground wire kit, and found an increase of 3-5 HPs. Go figure. I have the hardware, but am up in the air as far as specific locations to run the cable's out from the battery.

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/impp_0212_2002_suzuki_aerio_sx/printer_friendly.html

Die trying
April 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Miata agm battery; lighter than stock, cheaper than an optima, and better cold cranking amps than an atv battery.

Benster
April 29th, 2012, 04:56 PM
i want to know how would a drilled rotor be dangerous? I mean they wouldn't use them in racing if they weren't. I heard that they tend to crack with time, but that's after 60K+ miles.

I have had the piggyback for 2 years and no issues with it, better mpg and power. I'm not telling you to go for that as I am gonna go for the dynotronics reflash eventually. Can't wait for a premium tune and 7000rpm limit that's invisible by Suzuki.

I'd go for 2 1/4" exhaust, I don't think you'll lose any power there and as far as high flow cats, they will help some but be prepared to replace them every few years to pass emissions as it's gonna be the same quality as cheap replacement cats you'd buy at parts stores. the header would be nice if you add a second cat as you'll delete the first one with it, but good power is to be had there.

The SRI if you extend it a bit and do an air box for the filter it will work pretty good. Personally I love my CAI and no the intake isn't that low, never had issues with it. I don't drive through deep water either but stock height it's at least a foot off the ground and about 3" from the front plastic water deflector. only thing that sucks is the filter has to go in from the bottom and you have to unscrew one bolt and one pin from the splash guard.

I wouldn't bother with an upgraded clutch unless you plan on drag racing it a lot and even then with a FWD and only 30-40hp more our cars don't need it.

your list looks pretty good, I'm sure others will agree that we want updates and pics when you get that stuff done.

Die trying
April 29th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Drilled rotors can crack, and they are not usually used for racing.

zanethan
April 29th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Drilled rotors are just for looks but slotted rotors might offer some improvement. However, they are more prone to cracking because you're compromising the structural integrity.

soslow
April 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Many moons ago my parents bought me a book all about brakes from a racing standpoint. (including setting them up etc. etc.)

Drilled rotors are a carryover from racing back before slotting was discovered. They are better than a solid surface but are inferior in every respect to a slotted rotor. The whole purpose of drilling or slotting a rotor is to allow gasses generated by braking to escape, thus preventing them from pushing the pad up off the rotor and allow "trash" to be swept clean from the pads. drilling accomplishes the gas escape very well but doesn't do a very good job keeping the pad surface clean. In addition it reduces the surface area of the rotor, significantly reduces the rotors strength, and cause faster pad wear from the edges of the holes, especially if they're not chamfered properly.

A slotted rotor does everything a drilled rotor does with better rotor integrity and pad life.

C/N: Drilled rotors might look cool but you're better off with slots alone.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming. Wheels and tires go on this week.

chief2001
April 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
ok ok ok ok, first off, slotted rotors wont crack, we're thinking drilled rotors here. Also, drilled rotors are only mainly used in racing situations but many cars come with them as standard equipment. Our cars will not need them since we wont be doing anything too heavy for them. If you DO get them, just note that you will likely end up replacing them WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY sooner than a slotted rotor since they do tend to crack and they need to be replaced if they do. So unless you want to risk replacing them frequently go ahead. Even good quality drilled rotors will get cracked sooner or later. Slotted will work best to keep the pads bitting well for autox but not necessary if you just get a good plain rotor and pad set with some better brake lines.

mcmuda
April 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I've had stoptech slotted rotors for 40k and they still bite nicely. I understand your concern about drilled, but the slotted are good quality. I've even had a few track days on 'em along with a few autocrosses. And I commute almost 600 miles a week. They're holding up just fine.

soslow
April 29th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I have absolutely no concerns with slotted rotors.

mcmuda
April 29th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I have absolutely no concerns with slotted rotors.

Yeah, they're safe. I'm looking forward to your build. I'd love to see the new wheels..17x8 is a perfect fitment for our cars

soslow
April 30th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Yeah, they're safe. I'm looking forward to your build. I'd love to see the new wheels..17x8 is a perfect fitment for our cars

Check the recent purchases thread... ;)

soslow
April 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
This is what I call a fistful of **** yeah

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120430_165315.jpg

Each tire/wheel combo weighs 37.15 lbs.

carcrazy003
April 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oooo...sexy time ;)

Benster
April 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
thanks for the replies guys and nice tires!!!

soslow
April 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
So I changed my minds about the Tein's after ben at Primitive said they were AWFUL.. Oh yeah, and just ordered some bits.....

Megan Coil-Overs
Camber bolts from TireRack
Rear Sway bar from RRM
3/16" Skid plate from Primitive.

The tires will go on tomorrow (hopefully)

soslow
May 1st, 2012, 08:06 AM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120501_085323.jpg

They feel great the stock wheels weigh 23 lbs each! These tires/wheels are saving me 9.3 lbs per corner over stock!

carcrazy003
May 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM
Your car will look awesome with megans installed, do the rims sit flush with the fender? Any side shots?

EricDavis621
May 1st, 2012, 10:06 AM
What about drilled+slotted?

punksmurph
May 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM
What about drilled+slotted?

Too fragile, SX4 breaks are a good size for the car so slotted works well and keeps integrity.

SX4rocious
May 1st, 2012, 12:02 PM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120501_085323.jpg

WOW great preview!! can't wait to see the finished product!!

soslow
May 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Your car will look awesome with megans installed, do the rims sit flush with the fender? Any side shots?

Almost. I won't be pulling the fenders, just rolling.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120501_154423.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120501_154500.jpg

carcrazy003
May 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Very nice, im for more pics with the fenders rolled and coils installed.

chief2001
May 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Nice choice in wheel. I have the same one except I went with 15x7 for the best weight savings. I come in at around 33lbs each:D

DailyDriverSX4
May 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Very nice, im for more pics with the fenders rolled and coils installed.

+1

Looking good so far!

Meenkya
May 2nd, 2012, 07:23 AM
Great job....

soslow
May 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
These came in today.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120502_114618.jpg

Got the TPMS sensor/s reset/calibrated to the car today as well.

soslow
May 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
So some drama developed over the Megan coilovers... They've now been reordered from RRM.

carcrazy003
May 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
what camber setting do you plan on running, more negative or close to stock?
Depending on how low you drop it I would recommend neg camber so the wheels dont rub.

soslow
May 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
what camber setting do you plan on running, more negative or close to stock?
Depending on how low you drop it I would recommend neg camber so the wheels dont rub.

That's what rolling is for if it's needed. The only reason i would deviate from the stock camber settings is for performance reasons, not fitment. The tires have absolutely no rub now.

I suspect I'll end up running some negative camber in the front to help elimanate or tame understeer and/or increase the cornering limits, however the swaybar may end up doing that anyway.

In short: My alignment will be done solely with performance in mind, not fitment.

Wagoneer
May 5th, 2012, 01:50 AM
The major thing holding back the SX4 from being a little go-cart is weight, weight and more weight. Keep going with the weight reduction while keeping the balance and you'll be golden. The balance of the car is quite good in stock form.

Don't go overboard with the coils and slam the car or else you'll always be battling understeer. Keep the front soft so you get some bite on turn-in.

soslow
May 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
The major thing holding back the SX4 from being a little go-cart is weight, weight and more weight. Keep going with the weight reduction while keeping the balance and you'll be golden. The balance of the car is quite good in stock form.

Don't go overboard with the coils and slam the car or else you'll always be battling understeer. Keep the front soft so you get some bite on turn-in.

I would never, ever slam a car. ****'s retarded. Remember, I'm all about function.

also:
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120505_171220.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120505_171230.jpg

johnsnownw
May 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I would never, ever slam a car. ****'s retarded. Remember, I'm all about function.

also:
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120505_171220.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120505_171230.jpg

Yup, that's a lot of dead bugs.

soslow
May 5th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Yup, that's a lot of dead bugs.

:hi: Did a high speed jaunt from Harrisburg down to Lancaster this morning to get some stuff for my fish tank.. Bug homicide was inevitable

Wagoneer
May 5th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Bug homicide was inevitable
I know what you mean...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/buggysx4.jpg

johnsnownw
May 5th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I know what you mean...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/buggysx4.jpg

Good God, you genocidal maniac!

soslow
May 7th, 2012, 06:50 PM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120507_214645.jpg

*Whistles innocently*

carcrazy003
May 7th, 2012, 10:06 PM
your car is coming along very nicely. great job :)

soslow
May 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Huh, smells like Christmas up in hurr.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120508_145612.jpg

soslow
May 10th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Finally the last parts came in.... now to get everything installed and aligned.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120510_103024.jpg

Edit: the coilovers are being installed now.

soslow
May 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/qwirked/IMG_20120511_121015.jpg

DailyDriverSX4
May 11th, 2012, 10:46 PM
^^^ NICE!! :thumb:

Did you install the sway bar too? And if so, how's the handling with the sway & coils?

I'm thinking about getting the RRM GRIP springs and RRM sways for now while I save enough for coils.

...oh and can we get MOAR pics?! :P LOL

Meenkya
May 12th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Enjoy the bar, just put in the sway bar myself, loving it! Car looks great lowered, you are inspiring me to send more money!

tread83
May 12th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Soup looks sweet. Nice work!

soslow
May 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Enjoy the bar, just put in the sway bar myself, loving it! Car looks great lowered, you are inspiring me to send more money!

I just finished raising it back up on the coils. I've been working on the suspension since 6 am and just need to put the cowl back together around the windshield... 9.5 hours later... This whole ordeal has been a fiasco. I'll detail it later but needles to say there are some things about the megans that can trip you up/seriously cause you exspensive/safety problems.

Also It's way way to low in that picture, being that low caused problems with the driveshafts.

SX4rocious
May 14th, 2012, 04:23 AM
needles to say

:hi::hi: I love auto correct!!! :hi::hi:

soslow
June 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
So my newest plans for the SX4 involve a FR-S...

Seems like a once in generation car. Must have. Anyone want to buy my SX4?

AdR
June 4th, 2012, 06:14 AM
So my newest plans for the SX4 involve a FR-S...

Seems like a once in generation car. Must have. Anyone want to buy my SX4?

I'm also looking at the FR-S but I'll probably wait for the STI version of the BRZ. Unfortunately doesn't include a turbocharger. :(

SX4rocious
June 4th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I'm also looking at the FR-S but I'll probably wait for the STI version of the BRZ. Unfortunately doesn't include a turbocharger. :(
Call me crazy, but i think the voelestor is better looking!! And cheaper....

AdR
June 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM

I like the BRZ/FR-S better with the weight distribution almost perfect, sleek lines and better drivetrain. You get 200hp of a N/A engine whereas you need the turbo to achieve the 210hp of the Veloster. Another point is the CG (center of gravity) of the BRZ/FR-S is better than that of the Vel with almost equal weight when you are stuffing a rearwheel driveline and a larger displacement motor on the FR-S. Not to mention that the Veloster drives with the wrong set of wheels... ;)

johnsnownw
June 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM

You are crazy. And they are not even remotely comparable...the Veloster is a POS. Now, I would rather have the BRZ than the FR-S, those are definitely comparable ;).

soslow
June 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM
You are crazy. And they are not even remotely comparable...the Veloster is a POS. Now, I would rather have the BRZ than the FR-S, those are definitely comparable ;).

I'm think FR-S because a) slightly lower cost of entry b) $1000 for being military c) likely more warranty preserving (and well engineered) TRD parts, potentially to include power adders.

It really chaps my hide to think I could be driving a FR-S within the next two months had I not spent the money on the Suzuki.

SX4rocious
June 4th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I like the BRZ/FR-S better with the weight distribution almost perfect, sleek lines and better drivetrain. You get 200hp of a N/A engine whereas you need the turbo to achieve the 210hp of the Veloster. Another point is the CG (center of gravity) of the BRZ/FR-S is better than that of the Vel with almost equal weight when you are stuffing a rearwheel driveline and a larger displacement motor on the FR-S. Not to mention that the Veloster drives with the wrong set of wheels... ;)
honestly didn`t realize the frs was rear wheel drive.... I haven`t really read much about+them+considering+i+have+2+kids+so+i+need+a+c ouple+more+doors+than+what+it+provides.++I`m+just+ commenting+that+i+kinda+like+the+vol,+but+i+LOVE+m y+zuki!!!

AdR
June 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM
honestly didn`t realize the frs was rear wheel drive.... I haven`t really read much about+them+considering+i+have+2+kids+so+i+need+a+c ouple+more+doors+than+what+it+provides.++I`m+just+ commenting+that+i+kinda+like+the+vol,+but+i+LOVE+m y+zuki!!!

If you're interested in a couple more doors then don't look at the Veloster. It's got only one extra. :p

I also got a couple of kids (one's still in the oven), infants to be exact and I honestly don't think the SX4 is the right choice for babies either. I can barely fit a front facing car seat in the middle much alone two car seats on either side. Not to mention how incredibly unsafe I find it to be for corner car seats do to its compact nature. Much of the reason I'm hunting for a family sized SUV.

johnsnownw
June 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM
If you're interested in a couple more doors then don't look at the Veloster. It's got only one extra. :p

I also got a couple of kids (one's still in the oven), infants to be exact and I honestly don't think the SX4 is the right choice for babies either. I can barely fit a front facing car seat in the middle much alone two car seats on either side. Not to mention how incredibly unsafe I find it to be for corner car seats do to its compact nature. Much of the reason I'm hunting for a family sized SUV.

Yup, the SX4 works okay for our single little guy, but if he gets a brother or sister within the next 2 years at least one of the SX4s will have to go. I won't be going the SUV or Van route, but certainly a sedan at the very least. Probably, keep my Crossover, and sell the Sportback...as the Crossover is more useful up here.

soslow
June 5th, 2012, 09:02 PM
You guys are over stressing this way to much. My girlfriend has a kid and I function as his dad for the most part, including daycare doctors appointments etc. (we live together). Yes the FR-S is a small two door car but it does have a back seat. I can deal with the inconvenience a day or less. If I need to haul the boy around more than that I can just swap cars with my girlfriend (5 door Ford Focus, 5-speed; because yes I taught my girlfriend to drive manual and then she bought one).

This is a once every 10-20 years car, for me it's the Porsche Cayman I've wanted for ages but can't afford. Furthermore if people don't buy these cars the auto industry will wait another 15+ years to produce something else like it. That's what has happened with most of the best Japanese sports cars.

If I at all can I'm buying one of these. Everybody should get what they're passionate about once in their life, damn the torpedoes.

Benster
June 6th, 2012, 03:06 AM
you guys do know that the fr-s and the brz and the EXACT same car right? they were both engineered by subaru and toyota. toyota provided the body styling and the injection/induction system and subaru brought the drivetrain and the chassis. execpt some minor differences the two cars are one. so it's pretty much a choice of badge between the two.

soslow
June 6th, 2012, 04:38 AM
you guys do know that the fr-s and the brz and the EXACT same car right? they were both engineered by subaru and toyota. toyota provided the body styling and the injection/induction system and subaru brought the drivetrain and the chassis. execpt some minor differences the two cars are one. so it's pretty much a choice of badge between the two.

I'm aware of this, although I do hear that spring rates are slightly different between the two, the Subaru is a tad softer. Its also a tad more pricey. It really comes down to color choices and if you get that military discount.

Benster
June 6th, 2012, 04:15 PM
yep, I'm on par with you for the fr-s. loved that car the second I saw it, so it's good. not a lot of new cars nowadays that catch my eyes that much, except the SX4 haha.

johnsnownw
June 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Everyone knows they are the same car...but the styling is slightly different. The BRZ looks better, and I personally dislike Toyota...no real reason...I just don't like them.

One of my neighbors has a BRZ...he seems to have traded the CR-Z he bought last year for it. While it's a huge step-up...I'm not sure why the guy has such an affinity for cars that end in the letter "Z" :P

--e
June 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
The FRS and BRZ are not (quite) the same car. I've been in both raced at the limit, and they behave and handle differently (yes, I've spun both). The interiors are also pretty different. Also, the FRS has an 86 logo in the side that I swear looks like a swastika. You can't unsee it (^_^).
Personal preference will dictate your fave, and soslow's reasoning behind the scion is rock solid, but I love the subaru badge and really liked the BRZ's interior. If they made a TR (stripper) version instead of just "too much stuff" and "WAY too much stuff" trim levels I'd have driven one to work today. I don't need the nav or the fancy shcmancy stereo, I just want power windows, cruise control, and as much feeling through the pedals and steering wheel as possible.

Kids - No rear-facing seats in the toyobaru. They just won't work. Front-facing will work just fine, though, and that's my plan. As far as the SX4 goes, you can get two rear facing seats in if the driver's really short, but otherwise one front facing and one rear facing works just fine. I do it every day. I don't think you're supposed to put LATCH seats in the middle anyway, are you? In any case, our cars are a lot bigger on the inside than they look on the outside.

--e

P.S. if you have two kids that are young enough to be rear facing at the same time, you have my sympathy! I have a hard enough time keeping up with mine at 1 and 5, I can't imagine two under 2yrs!