PDA

View Full Version : Kizashi is a great looking car; random dealer observation

Thirty-Nine
March 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I was at the dealership yesterday dropping off my SX4 for a few little things that need to get fixed (nothing major; driver's seat was loose, power locks making nose, rear defroster line not working, etc.). Killing time, I went into the showroom, and they had a new Kizashi Sport on the showroom floor in Azure Grey Metallic. Man, what a good looking car. I sat in it and thought, yes, I could totally own one of these.

The showroom, however, is depressing. It's newly built (in 2008?), clean, and well lit, but only one car in there (the Kizashi) and not a soul in there. In fact, every time I've ever been to the dealer (which is several times since 2009), I've never seen another person in there. They don't even use any of the offices in the building; they're all in the Hyundai side. Actually want to buy a Suzuki? You need to go to the Hyundai showroom. The Suzuki side of the lot was half empty.

I got talking to a great sales guy. He'd been there about a month and hasn't sold a single Suzuki, even though he says he shows everyone the Kizashi, which he gushed about. He said he wishes Suzuki would advertise more, and that they had a more fuel-efficient offering than the SX4. People come in and look at the Hyundai Accents and Elantras, which get 40 MPG, then look at an SX4 that gets 30 MPG, and opt for the Hyundai.

Suzuki needs the Swift. Badly. Now.

None of this is "news," per se. We all likely see this at our local dealers. It's just depressing.

Regardless, the Kizashi is a great looking car (and a great driving car, too). They had about four or five of them on the lot, even a couple with manual transmissions. Really wish Suzuki could sell more of them. I really hope my dealership stays open; it's very nice, the people are good, and they have some cars on the lot.

jute2003
March 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
We have a Kizashi. Its actually the only suzuki left in the family. It's a great car and I wish it got more attention from the general public(although that would make it more common which kills the coolness a little). I do think they need to upgrade the powertrain though. It needs a bit more oomph. 210 hp would be plenty. I'm not a fan of the CVT either but thats a personal preference thing.

carcrazy003
March 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Agreed Kizashi is a great car, with an updated powertrain and available awd with a 6 speed I would buy one in an instant, even debate buying this car over a swift sport, if we ever get them in US.

punksmurph
March 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
They could get the base Kizashi engine up to 210 HP and offer a FI version with 275-280 HP then Suzuki would be in business. It is a great looking car with no advertising or support, it could actually be a force in the market with the right backing but Suzuki is terrible at actually support its sales. I have never seen a business try so hard to be irrelevant, it is like watching a group try their hardest to fail with out just giving up and going home.

Blackbelt
March 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Interesting. I also have a Kizashi(as well as an SX4), and the last time i went to my dealer(getting my summer tires put back on), i talked to the salesman who sold me my cars. He said he has been selling a bunch of Kizzys(In fact he was delivering one as i was leaving). It may help that they are a Suzuki only dealership. They sell a lot of used cars there, but their only new car line is Suzuki.
So far i am really happy with this dealership. They dismounted my snows, remounted and balanced my summer tires, and changed the oil in my Kizzy for $75.

Thirty-Nine
March 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I've been very happy with my dealership, too. Granted, the sales guy was new (3-4 weeks of employment there), and it was a Tuesday evening. I mean, it wasn't like the Hyundai side of the dealer was buzzing, either. However, the Suzuki side always seems vacant. He also said that no one comes in and looks at the Suzukis (at least since he's been there). I told him that we loved our SX4.

In fact, picked it up last night. My wife, Mercedes, drove the car home; I followed (in the '12 Ford Focus SEL that I have for review). I still love the looks of the SX4, especially with the Rally Armor mud flaps, BajaRack roof rack, and 195/65/15 nubbys (snow tires). Looks like a little rally car!

SX4rocious
March 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
at least you have a dealership near you.... I don't even have a frame of reference. Suzuki's are impossible to find around here.

Thirty-Nine
March 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM
at least you have a dealership near you.... I don't even have a frame of reference. Suzuki's are impossible to find around here.

Where are you located?

Wagoneer
March 29th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I'm super lucky as my dealership is always bumping. Up here in Canada AWD and fuel effeciency is huge, so SX4's and Kizashi's are all over the place in my city. But when I drive more than an hour away, I'm lucky to see another SX4 or Kizashi once every few hours. It seems as though we have a very dense Suzuki population compared to every else in North America.

Our dealership advertises like crazy in our City. Front page ad every single week in our local paper's AutoNews section for as long as I can remember, radio ads on all the local popular stations and multiple bilboards around the city. It really seems like they're picking up the slack for what Suzuki should be doing in the first place. Not to mention they always seem to have some sort of incentive to get people into the showroom which is as good or better than all of the competing brands. I mean, they gave me 0% financing, half price extended warranty, thousands off the sticker price, 3 free oil changes, bunch of key chains, t-shirts for me and my girlfriend, $500 of free OEM accessories with free installation. What other brand does that?!

SX4rocious
April 2nd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Where are you located?

West central Indiana. The closest dealers are either in Indy (about 75 miles away) or Bloomington (almost 90). I've never been to either dealership.

De Melo
April 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'm in the Toronto area, there are lots of Suzuki's around. I think there is a decent loyal following to the brand in Ontario.

carcrazy003
April 3rd, 2012, 03:50 PM
Im in the NW Burbs of Chicago and I see a lot of Suzuki's, one guy at my work has a GV 2wd with a 5speed trans...kinda cool. I will admit I am seeing more Kizashi's to, at least one or two per day.

gfunktastic
April 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM
The dealership that sold me mine also has a brand new showroom, and across the street is their GMC/Buick dealership. Granted, I bought mine from one of the GMC salesman (Friend bought a Terrain there the week before and recommended him) The Suzuki side was barren. 4 Salesman just sitting around watching the Nascar race (this was on a saturday). Before they sold Suzuki's it was a Daewoo lot. I really hope Suzuki gets their stuff together, 2013 would have to be the year for it.

polarbear
April 23rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Sad to hear of the Suzuki dealer issues in the USA. As Wagoneer says, they seem to be doing well up here !! My dealer is 15 min.away and a new one just opened up about 1/2 hr away.

carcrazy003
April 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
I actually saw a new Kizashi commercial, not the eskimo one, it was pretty funny. Im at work so I cant access Youtube but try searching Kizashi parking jerk it might come up.

Thirty-Nine
April 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I actually saw a new Kizashi commercial, not the eskimo one, it was pretty funny. Im at work so I cant access Youtube but try searching Kizashi parking jerk it might come up.

Hmm ... can't find anything on the YouTube...

flipside
May 10th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm super lucky as my dealership is always bumping. Up here in Canada AWD and fuel effeciency is huge, so SX4's and Kizashi's are all over the place in my city. But when I drive more than an hour away, I'm lucky to see another SX4 or Kizashi once every few hours. It seems as though we have a very dense Suzuki population compared to every else in North America.

Our dealership advertises like crazy in our City. Front page ad every single week in our local paper's AutoNews section for as long as I can remember, radio ads on all the local popular stations and multiple bilboards around the city. It really seems like they're picking up the slack for what Suzuki should be doing in the first place. Not to mention they always seem to have some sort of incentive to get people into the showroom which is as good or better than all of the competing brands. I mean, they gave me 0% financing, half price extended warranty, thousands off the sticker price, 3 free oil changes, bunch of key chains, t-shirts for me and my girlfriend, $500 of free OEM accessories with free installation. What other brand does that?!

Wagoneer, what city is this. I have been driving the Kizashi for about 2 years and never saw another on the road. It is a beautiful car and my wife loves it. Unfortunately it was in an accident and was written off. The car is really safe. My wife and daughter only suffered bruises from the seatbelt. It will surely be missed.

The Suzuki dealer close to my place closed down leaving a bad taste in my mouth to where suzuki is headed. My sister wanted to upgrade her SX4 sedan to grand vitara and the dealer we went to was lowballing her ride into negative equity that we decided to pass. I left the dealer feeling they are a bunch of crooks. Thus my replacement for the Kiz is not a suzuki.