PDA

View Full Version : here we go again (swift)

Die trying
December 30th, 2011, 11:17 PM
http://www.insideline.com/suzuki/swift/2011/2011-suzuki-swift-first-drive.html

TomC
December 31st, 2011, 12:47 AM
That car with a turbo bumping HP to 150-160 range,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sigh

Avalanche
December 31st, 2011, 12:48 AM
did it move an inch closer to the US market in the meantime?

Die trying
December 31st, 2011, 10:19 AM
did it move an inch closer to the US market in the meantime?

Lol. Nope, thats just tectonic plate movement. The good news is when the continents crash together we can just drive one over from europe. Sad.

I almost didnt even post the article. Its so depressing going through this every few months.

pecci
December 31st, 2011, 06:05 PM
I saw and ignored the article, for the same reason DT. I think now, I would be more excited for a new generation SX4. With some luck, that'll be a shorter wait than the Swift coming to the New World.

Thirty-Nine
December 31st, 2011, 07:10 PM
If Suzuki brings the Swift or Jimmy or both, we could see a rebirth of the brand. Without updates and new models, it is business as usual. I firmly believe ASMC would love to sell both cars here. However, for a number of reasons, it hasn't happened. I would love to see it happen.

Grimlock1973
January 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Personally I don't believe bringing the Swift to the US will do anything for Suzuki! They won't advertise or market the car so no one will know about it or care. Suzuki needs to fix their broken dealer network and invest some of their money in product advertisements.

AdR
January 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
That car with a turbo bumping HP to 150-160 range,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sigh

Remember, it's not the same thing 160 horses on a 2,300lb car than in a 2,800lb car. The Genesis Coupe weights a hefty 3,200+ lbs and only boasts 210 ponies. What makes an already turbo car so alluring is that the internals are there to make it what you want it. If you want to pay $40k for 300+ HP by all means do it but if you want something in the economical side that you can build up then the Swift is a great candidate just like the Gen Coupe is for the RWD segment.

Die trying
January 1st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Were just beating a dead horse even talking about it. We all know what needs to be done and we have been screaming for more ads, more dealerships, and more model options for years. Suzuki either can not or will not give us what we have asked for. Maybe that will change someday but current management would probably have to change first. Until I hear about major changes at Suzuki I wont be expecting any of these things to happen.

B-Spec
January 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Just imagine what 200 HP would do in that little car.. What a ride.

Wagoneer
January 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
My dealer is living proof that advertisement is worth it. The dealership themselves (Ultimate Suzuki of London) advertises on local bilboards, every local radio station, bus terminals, even on the local news network and there are TONS of suzuki's running around London, ON. Go outside of London and you'll be lucky to see a Suzuki once every few hours.

All the facts are there, Suzuki's products are by far the best bang for the buck in their classes, so why aren't they selling? NOBODY KNOWS WHAT A SUZUKI IS and the stupid North American people only care about what they see on TV and flashy lights that catch their attention.

I've run into so many people that hear I'm not driving my Volvo anymore and ask me what I drive. Then say, you're driving a motorcycle all year round?!! They don't even know an SX4 is a car. It's pathetic, sad, depressing, and just plain stupid.

@ Die Trying, keep posting these news updates. I enjoy venting about this topic every week or so ;)

Avalanche
March 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I don't know if it was posted here, but here's a road test recap of the new Swift Sport (GTI ;) )
http://www.topgear.com/uk/suzuki/swift/road-test/sport-three-door-driven

White_Sedan
March 30th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I have to second the notion of advertising. If the Suzuki dealership wasn't on the way to the Ford dealership, I wouldn't have mine. I'd be just another Focus driver (not that a Focus is a bad thing, but the SX 4 is a better looking/handling car IMHO). Two minutes of open minded browsing and the car sold itself.

socarboy99
March 31st, 2012, 03:08 PM
If the magnetic poles of the earth don't shift this December 21st we might...if we keep our fingers crossed...see a Swift Sport (a.k.a. GTI) in North America for the 2013 model year!

http://www.newcarsfor2013.org/the-lineup-for-suzuki-2013/