December 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM
And it's not the driver!
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcnJBTH2J0s

Caterham
December 27th, 2011, 06:01 PM
It could be the tires.

automat
December 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM
or the fact that it looks like a totally different class of vehicle. I've never heard of this ford but it looks a lot bigger than the zuk.

B-Spec
December 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
There is nothing special about the SX4's AWD system.. It is a very basic open system with brake activated traction control. There are many other cars that have a much better system then that.

I wonder what kind of ford that is? It almost looks like that new Mazda..

automat
December 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I found out it's supposed to replace the escape. it's bigger and a little heavier but not that much. tires must be the reason why it stalls halfway up the hill.

Balansero
December 28th, 2011, 04:07 AM
It's like 350 kg heavier which is more than 25% of (EU) SX4 weight. That's A LOT heavier given that both are deprived of low gear. Shorter wheelbase is also advantage in this case. And tires, of course, but we don't know that.

I wonder what kind of ford that is? It almost looks like that new Mazda..

Yup, it's almost identical to Mazda CX5. I think Kuga came out first. Just a matter of agreement between partners who will re-badge what and when. :) Both are bulit on Ford C-max (Focus) platform.
I hate re-badging. You (want to) buy Japanese but you end up with German made American brand. Damn globalization!

automat
December 28th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Mazda and Ford are no longer partners, so who knows what the CX-5 will be based on......

rubicon4wheeler
December 28th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I want to slap that horrible cameraman....

Anyways, you can clearly see the Ford's AWD system effectively apportioning torque to the rear wheels, so this is not an example of an inadequate AWD system. The difference in performance comes down to driver skill and the tires' traction. The Suzuki has both, the Ford has neither.

Caterham
December 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I want to slap that horrible cameraman....

Anyways, you can clearly see the Ford's AWD system effectively apportioning torque to the rear wheels, so this is not an example of an inadequate AWD system. The difference in performance comes down to driver skill and the tires' traction. The Suzuki has both, the Ford has neither.

Suzuki tires have traction?

Balansero
December 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Suzuki tires have traction?

Dunno about tires but it's generally known that Suzuki drivers are the best. :D

polarbear
December 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Good chance the SX4 is running snows and the "KUGA" is not?? Ford better leave that name in Europe!!!!!!!:rolf:

Balansero
December 29th, 2011, 01:11 AM
In my language "kuga" means plague. :eek:

Benster
December 29th, 2011, 04:25 AM
ouch hehehe. but yea, it sure looks like the ford has summers or all seasons while the sx4 has snows.

but, for the sx4's corner, i did drive circles around a wrx last winter in deep(1'+) snow multiple times. the guy was a good driver, had good studed snow tires, I had toyo observe, not the greatest snow tire. he got stuck 3-4 times and i just flew past him right besides where he got stuck and litteraly drove circles around. the guy didn't talk to me for the rest of the 2 month course lol.

he was always mouthing off how his subaru was better in the snow than my car and when I didn't get stuck once, he was pissed.

rubicon4wheeler
December 29th, 2011, 09:16 AM
i did drive circles around a wrx last winter in deep(1'+) snow multiple times. the guy was a good driver, had good studed snow tires, I had toyo observe, not the greatest snow tire. he got stuck 3-4 times and i just flew past him right besides where he got stuck and litteraly drove circles around.

Considering the WRX has a superior AWD system, I can only imagine the difference came down to the SX4 having superior ground clearance or a superior driver. :hi:

Balansero
December 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Considering the WRX has a superior AWD system, I can only imagine the difference came down to the SX4 having superior ground clearance or a superior driver. :hi:

Dunno about tires but it's generally known that Suzuki drivers are the best. :D

I told ya. :D

Benster
December 31st, 2011, 02:07 PM
pretty sure the ground clearance helped, but he didn't talk about how awesome his car was for the remainder of the course hehehe

De Melo
December 31st, 2011, 05:14 PM
regardless right on Suzuki!!!!!

wrxz24
January 5th, 2012, 09:05 AM
ouch hehehe. but yea, it sure looks like the ford has summers or all seasons while the sx4 has snows.

but, for the sx4's corner, i did drive circles around a wrx last winter in deep(1'+) snow multiple times. the guy was a good driver, had good studed snow tires, I had toyo observe, not the greatest snow tire. he got stuck 3-4 times and i just flew past him right besides where he got stuck and litteraly drove circles around. the guy didn't talk to me for the rest of the 2 month course lol.

he was always mouthing off how his subaru was better in the snow than my car and when I didn't get stuck once, he was pissed.

I have both a wrx and sx4. 160.000 miles on the wrx and 120,000 on the sx4. The sx4 needs a new rear drive shaft and wrx needs nothing. I personally like the wrx awd system better.

automat
January 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM
you can't go offroad with the wrx. I used to get stuck from time to time with my 2000 impreza 2.5RS even with good winter tires. this never happened with the SX4. the greater ground clearance sure helps.

jute2003
January 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
to be fair, the wrx was likely 8 grand more when new. Subaru also has a generally more sophisticated AWD system as well.

I have both a wrx and sx4. 160.000 miles on the wrx and 120,000 on the sx4. The sx4 needs a new rear drive shaft and wrx needs nothing. I personally like the wrx awd system better.

rubicon4wheeler
January 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM
you can't go offroad with the wrx. I used to get stuck from time to time with my 2000 impreza 2.5RS even with good winter tires. this never happened with the SX4. the greater ground clearance sure helps.

The Forester has the same AWD system as the WRX, plus ground clearance like the SX4. If you want off-road ability from a Subaru, go with the Forester. If you don't care about rough roads or deep snow where ground clearance is critical, the WRX is superior on-road.

wrxz24
January 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I hear you but I didn't buy the wrx to go off roading but it is sure a blast to drive on the twisty roads here in New England. I do like my SX4 as well and it is probably the best bang for your buck car out there.

wrxz24
January 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
The Forester has the same AWD system as the WRX, plus ground clearance like the SX4. If you want off-road ability from a Subaru, go with the Forester. If you don't care about rough roads or deep snow where ground clearance is critical, the WRX is superior on-road.
I agree. Most people who buy a WRX don't buy it to go off road.