PDA

View Full Version : Traded in the SX4 for a Dodge Journey

generaltso
December 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I'm no longer and SX4 owner. I needed something bigger, so I traded in my 09 SX4 Crossover Touring and got a 2012 Dodge Journey Crew. I've never been a huge fan of domestic cars, but the redesigned Journey caught my attention and kept it. I've had it for about a week, and so far I absolutely love it. The SX4 was a good ride for 3 years, but it was time for a change. The reduction in gas mileage is going to hurt, but nearly double the horsepower will make up for it :)

Brumbie13
December 23rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Well bud, I hope you have many wonderful miles on the Dodge.

Take care, and thanks for being part of our community.

All the best,
Brumbie

Die trying
December 23rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Good luck!

generaltso
December 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys. Good luck to you as well. By the way, I ended up getting $12k for the SX4 in trade. It held it's value a lot more than I was expecting after 3 years!

Die trying
December 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Nice! Dont forget to pop in with updates. Nobody ever does that.

Jerry_NJ
December 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
$12K (US I assume) sounds pretty good for me, what mileage did it have? Of course, the real question is what did it cost to trade up. I had a 1999 very cherry Mazda Protege with about 50K miles, moon roof and low profile tires... a very nice car. Beat on the deal as hard as I could I got $2.5K, but the SX4 was so heavily discounted I went for it anyway. Said another way, if I had paid closer to "list" on the SX4 the dealer would have given me more for my trade-in. Then too, I kept an eye to see what he did with my trade-in. It was in such good shape he put new tires on it (new brakes I hope) and put it up for sale off their own lot... asking $7K for starters. If they got $6K they made more of this than the sale of the new SX4 to me. That's alright, they are in business to make a profit - and pay their employees.

generaltso
December 24th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I'll check in every now and then. The Dodge Journey forum isn't as active as this one :)

generaltso
December 24th, 2011, 07:23 AM
$12K (US I assume) sounds pretty good for me, what mileage did it have?

It only had about 23k miles on it. I always negotiate selling price on a new car before even talking about a trade-in or financing. That keeps the dealer from taking away from their discount to inflate the trade-in value (or vice versa). I'll have to go back and see what they're selling the SX4 for. I would guess that they'll ask around $15k for it. I think I only paid around $18k for it when it was brand new 3 years ago. I was expecting much lower residual value, so I'm happy with what I got.

B-Spec
December 24th, 2011, 07:54 AM
It only had about 23k miles on it. I always negotiate selling price on a new car before even talking about a trade-in or financing. That keeps the dealer from taking away from their discount to inflate the trade-in value (or vice versa). I'll have to go back and see what they're selling the SX4 for. I would guess that they'll ask around $15k for it. I think I only paid around $18k for it when it was brand new 3 years ago. I was expecting much lower residual value, so I'm happy with what I got.

Holy cow... The most I have been offered at a dealer for mine is 4K.. Mine is a 2008 with 80K on it. 12K is a super high number.Trade in Value on your car is 8K in Excellent condition.. You got one heck of a deal man.. They can't sell that car for more then $9,500 and that is in great condition.. Maybe I should go to your dealership..

generaltso
December 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Holy cow... The most I have been offered at a dealer for mine is 4K.. Mine is a 2008 with 80K on it. 12K is a super high number.Trade in Value on your car is 8K in Excellent condition.. You got one heck of a deal man.. They can't sell that car for more then $9,500 and that is in great condition.. Maybe I should go to your dealership..

What site are you looking at for trade-in values? According to Kelley Blue Book, trade-in value on my SX4 is $12,249 in excellent condition or $12,049 in very good condition. I've never had a dealer offer even close to KBB trade-in value, which is why I was surprised with the $12k offer. You really had a dealer offer you $4k for a 2008? The miles must really kill the value.

Die trying
December 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
If someone offered 4k for my sx4 i would have to resist the urge to punch them. What a joke.

Jerry_NJ
December 24th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Just following along for "interest", I don't expect to sell my 2009 in the next 5 years. The numbers surely caught my eye, sounded like the SX4 was doing better than a Toyota (which advertize minimum depreciation).

When I noted the $2,500 for a 1999 (10 years old Mazda Protege) in cherry condition I didn't mention the Blue Book for excellent was around $3K maybe $3.5K. But as noted the dealer had to do some work before it was in condition to put on his lot. But as said he put it up for $7K. I hope he didn't get that much. One of the "feel good" I got on the trade in is I was providing a high mileage car in great condition for a family/person who couldn't afford to buy a new vehicle. :cool:

AdR
December 24th, 2011, 08:33 AM

I started being surprised by that low-ball offer and then suddenly I saw where you live. Sound like classic Vegas hustling to me. I live in low-ball city and not even here have they ever offered that low of a number for my car.

B-Spec
December 24th, 2011, 02:13 PM
When I pull up KBB.com and stick in 2008 Suzuki SX4 with 23K miles I do not get anything close to 12K.. What site are you using?

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2576/sx4d.jpg

generaltso
December 24th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Mine's a 2009 Touring. You also have to manually select a bunch of the options on KBB even though they're standard on the Crossover Touring, like heated seats, keyless ignition, etc.

B-Spec
December 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Mine's a 2009 Touring. You also have to manually select a bunch of the options on KBB even though they're standard on the Crossover Touring, like heated seats, keyless ignition, etc.

Yup.. I got 12K when I did all that.. Mine books for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less then that.. I won't get more then 5K for trade on mine..

Jerry_NJ
December 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Well I paid about $15,400 for my 2009 in October of that year. It now has 12,000 miles on it - rather low mileage. It is has the Technical Package with a manual transmission. I'd be shocked if I got an offer of $12K for it. Still that would be a depreciation cost of $3,400 plus sales tax (7%) of about $1,100, or a total of $4,500. So the cost per mile would be in the order of 37 cents, think I'd better run it up to 100,000 to get my cost down closer to 20 cents a mile for depreciation. The way gas prices are going it could cost that much per mile for gas before long :( Yep, at 30 mpg and $6 per gallon that works out to 20 cents a mile for gas.

Ronzuki
December 26th, 2011, 06:50 AM

I'd say as far as trading it goes you did well. 2008s are retailing for around $13k w/ more than double the mileage as yours. And this morning there was an 08 in the paper, private sale, asking 12k.

Good Luck w/ Chrysler....I'm not a fan after 11 years of Dodge and Jeep and will never own another . You certainly can't beat the looks of their product line for the most part, but absolutely horrible quality.

Jerry_NJ
December 26th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Wow, 2008 selling for $12, and in my neighborhood. Flemington, NJ isn't far from PA, in fact I purchased my 2009 in Nazareth PA, about 35 miles NW of me.

I'd have to look, but I think mine is about 12,000 miles, so very low mileage. I can look but will just guess, a 2011 (12) SX4 6-speed must actually be selling for close to $20K to push used prices up to $!2K for a 2008. Mine is still under warranty... and the drive train is warrantied for a total of 7 years, so that's got a long way to go. I don't know if the warranty is transferable, but I think it is.

Ronzuki
December 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Warranty is fully transferrable and zero deductable. The catch is you'll need all the maintenance records to prove to ASMC that it ws performed should you actually need to use that warranty. Extremely hard to come by information when buying used, especially from a retailer (not the original owner).

I had a line 2 weeks ago on an 08 auto Convenience w/ 58k on the odo in Maryland south of Baltimore for $11885. It came up on AutoTrader. Title wasn't cleared from a lien so I passed because they wouldn't hold it, obviously, until the title came back clear. I didn't want the potential hassles of an out of state buy w/o a clean title.

polarbear
December 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Good Luck! (you'll need it!):hi:

generaltso
December 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Good Luck w/ Chrysler....I'm not a fan after 11 years of Dodge and Jeep and will never own another . You certainly can't beat the looks of their product line for the most part, but absolutely horrible quality.

Yeah, quality has been one of Chrysler's shortcomings in the past. But it's literally not the same company anymore. Daimler Chrysler no longer exists. The new Chrysler Group is now owned primarily by Fiat, and the first of the changes was to completely redesign all of their vehicles in 2011. They're using much higher quality materials now, so I'm hoping for the best.

generaltso
January 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Here's my (former) SX4 for sale at the Dodge dealership. They're asking $16k for it.

http://www.gossdodgechrysler.com/used/Suzuki/2009-Suzuki-SX4-Burlington-VT-59c174680a0d048e009d04dc3497e901.htm

Brumbie13
January 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Wow. I don't think they will get that much for it, but I guess you never know.

generaltso
January 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I highly doubt they'll get that much.

Jerry_NJ
January 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
That's proof enough for me.. I'd say they will take an offer. If I flowed correctly they have $12,000 plus clean/polish and overhead. Assuming it was all elbow grease and simple maintenance updating they may have $13,000 for a brake-even. I'd bet they'd take $15,000, which is still more than I paid for mine brand new in 2009. Mine is one notch lower, a Technical not Touring (top of the line option wise - subject car noted is a manual transmission) - said another way I could have purchased the twin of that car in 2009 for what they are asking. The full list for a 2012 with top options must be at least $20,000 - I haven't looked but think I will.

The subject looks to be in great condition from how well it appears on the web.

Edit: the $20,000 is a good estimate for list on 2012

generaltso
January 3rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
The subject looks to be in great condition from how well it appears on the web.

I took good care of it, but they also did a great job of cleaning it up. The carpets were pretty crusted with salt when I gave it to them, but now they look brand new. Even the little well near the gas release lever looks new. That must have been fun to scrub out :)

londonsx4
January 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I'm quite impressed. I've been trying to get out of my SX4 for about 6 months now, but the most they will give me in this area is 7500. I have a 2008 touring with 38000 miles on it, and am in over my head. To say the least... I'm in it for the long haul with this car.

My Grand Vitara on the other end, has held its value really well.

Brumbie13
January 4th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I remember it being a great day when I finally got down to owing less than the car was worth.
At that point, I no longer felt weighed down by the car. I knew I, if worst came to worst, I could sell the car and pay off the debt.

Audiopudding
January 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM
We paid mine off last year, and that was a huge relief. We still owe on the Grand Vitara but not very much and it should be paid off this year with good financial luck on our sides! It had been so long making car payments that I forgot how much that extra income could help in other areas.

I paid too much for my SX4, though when I made the purchase they had to ship it up from Oregon because they didn't have a 2008 Manual. The dealer told me it was a touring, but it was a technical and I just paid to upgrade everything except the GPS later on. It doesn't bother me much, I looked at Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Honda, everything. At the time, the SX4 had the best MPG in all the compact AWD vehicles I could find. That's not so much true anymore but it still holds its own. I doubt I'll be 'upgrading' anytime soon. It's just too damn fun to drive.

Brumbie13
January 4th, 2012, 12:22 PM
We paid mine off last year, and that was a huge relief. We still owe on the Grand Vitara but not very much and it should be paid off this year with good financial luck on our sides! It had been so long making car payments that I forgot how much that extra income could help in other areas.

I paid too much for my SX4, though when I made the purchase they had to ship it up from Oregon because they didn't have a 2008 Manual. The dealer told me it was a touring, but it was a technical and I just paid to upgrade everything except the GPS later on. It doesn't bother me much, I looked at Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Honda, everything. At the time, the SX4 had the best MPG in all the compact AWD vehicles I could find. That's not so much true anymore but it still holds its own. I doubt I'll be 'upgrading' anytime soon. It's just too damn fun to drive.
I'm glad to see you back, bud.
I know you come and go, but I'm always happy to see an old friend return.

I hope things are going well for you and your wife.

Jerry_NJ
January 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Lost the first attempt, sorry if the start of this post appears too. Seems if the "tab" is hit (in my case an accident) the draft reply is lost, unless one knows how to back up. Anyway,

I thought I recognized the Super Cape SX4 Avatar, he isn't really a "rookie" either if we count the original SX4Club time (I think that was the old name).

It is always good to see debt reduction, wish our country (USA) could follow your lead : )

wrxz24
February 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm no longer and SX4 owner. I needed something bigger, so I traded in my 09 SX4 Crossover Touring and got a 2012 Dodge Journey Crew. I've never been a huge fan of domestic cars, but the redesigned Journey caught my attention and kept it. I've had it for about a week, and so far I absolutely love it. The SX4 was a good ride for 3 years, but it was time for a change. The reduction in gas mileage is going to hurt, but nearly double the horsepower will make up for it :)

Nice to see you on here as well. I too bought a Dodge Journey but kept the ole SX4. I agree the Journey forum is sort of boring.