PDA

View Full Version : end of the road for SAAB?

Balansero
December 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Sad. One of the world best car manufacturers is going down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14839649

Vibral
December 20th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I heard abot this yesterday. A very sad day indeed.

Wagoneer
December 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM
It's been coming for years now. Can't say I'll really miss them. Always loved their wheel designs though.

But much like their Swedish cousin Volvo, the last REAL Saabs were built in the 90's. The car I though would save them, the Turbo-X was a HUGE disappointment when I drove it.

rubicon4wheeler
December 20th, 2011, 09:02 AM
SAAB's problems came about when they went "mainstream." They would have died a long time ago had they not been on life support with G.M. Now that G.M. pulled the plug, they've struggled for a couple of last breathes, and now they're gone. :(

Capoken
December 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Another example of terrible strategy AND execution on the part of GM. Why buy a company only to let it languish with sub-par product? People aren't buying euro cars just because they are euro! They buy them because they are more serious driving machines than the malibu. They did the same thing with Suzuki, they thought that just having a japanese name would bring in sales, even if you swapped out the product with sun-par Korean crap. It just shows how out of touch GM was. They thought brands and image would sell cars, instead of focusing on the actual product.

Saab could have been as sucessful as Audi in the US, but GM blew it big time.

punksmurph
December 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM
It took years for Saturn to get good product and then GM pulled the plug. If you asked me Saab should have had the plug pulled and Saturn saved, I think that if you made Saturn the Opel of the US it could be currently successful, but GM management would not recognize a good business plan if it slapped them in the face.

AdR
December 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I cannot say that I am going to miss SAAB. Unfortunately they became overpriced GM's and no longer quality euros with excellent powerplants. Although the ECOTEC engines are not than bad.

Caterham
December 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Dad had a '73 99 LE. Wonderful car. Great in bad weather. I remember installing antennas on that and my brothers '70 Chevelle on the same day.. The sheet metal was nearly twice as thick on the SAAB.

Argent
December 20th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have a SAAB 9-3 and a Suzuki SX-4. I wonder what those personallity tests based on your car ownership would say?

Thirty-Nine
December 20th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Dad had a 1995 900SE Turbo. Fun car.

punksmurph
December 21st, 2011, 02:02 AM
I have a SAAB 9-3 and a Suzuki SX-4. I wonder what those personallity tests based on your car ownership would say?

S is your favorite letter and you have a taste for the quirky.

Dad had a 1995 900SE Turbo. Fun car.

My friend had two 89 Saab 900 turbo's, one was a parts car the other mostly ran. We spent a weekend putting together a complete car and about 4 months later the front A frames gave out in a parking lot. Fast car but man a pain to work on.

Balansero
December 21st, 2011, 03:20 AM
My friend had two 89 Saab 900 turbo's, one was a parts car the other mostly ran. We spent a weekend putting together a complete car and about 4 months later the front A frames gave out in a parking lot. Fast car but man a pain to work on.

Tell me about it! My friend had 9000 and I assisted him few times in restoration attempt. Disassembling was kind of easy. :) A year later he sold it with pretty much disassembled interior. :hi: Then he bought Hyundai.

Wagoneer
December 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM
My dad almost bought one on numours occasions. He liked the 9-5 aero but then bought a 850R instead. Then he liked the turbo x until we drove one, then he went in the complete opposite direction and turned old and bought a XC90 T6. We've had nothing but problems with the eletronics of the newer Volvos since Ford took ownership, and it looks like Saab had identical problems after GM took over.

Edsky
December 21st, 2011, 05:55 AM

You love the underdog.

Balansero
December 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM
You love the underdog.

SAAB 9-3 underdog?

Balansero
December 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Apparently SAAB suspended all warranties in NA (http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/12/saab-won-be-honoring-warranty-coverage.html). I would hate to be new SAAB owner at this moment.

RobertSX4
December 21st, 2011, 10:46 AM
I tried to fix up an old 1975 99 but then it turned out the engine was complete junk. I ended up with way too much useless knowledge about SAAB. On the other hand I got the SX4.

P.S. sounds like a SAAB may be the most affordable lux car coming up, just like Buell a few years back with bikes.

Edsky
December 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
SAAB 9-3 underdog?

Saab, not the 9-3

Raewae
December 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
1975 was a bad year for the 99 series. It was the first year with the new block design and they had a lot of issues.

johnsnownw
December 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Apparently SAAB suspended all warranties in NA (http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/12/saab-won-be-honoring-warranty-coverage.html). I would hate to be new SAAB owner at this moment.

Well, suspended all warranties for vehicles sold after GM dumped the brand. So, all post-2010 warranties are now in limbo.

Raewae
December 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
It's a shame to see a once great company that was always a decade or more ahead of the other manufacturers in safety and technical developments be reduced to this nonsense. I'd like to blame GM but really can't completely blame GM. SAAB started going down hill in the mid 80's. GM simply finished destroying instead of building them up to their potential. I'm just thankful that this hasn't happened to Suzuki yet. We could be next.

Balansero
December 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
It's a shame to see a once great company that was always a decade or more ahead of the other manufacturers in safety and technical developments be reduced to this nonsense. I'd like to blame GM but really can't completely blame GM. SAAB started going down hill in the mid 80's. GM simply finished destroying instead of building them up to their potential. I'm just thankful that this hasn't happened to Suzuki yet. We could be next.

Yup. It's a shame. I always liked SAAB though I never owned one. I would blame Sweden's EU membership for the troubles of Volvo and SAAB rather than partnership with GM. But it's another topic which is being widely discussed in EU lately. It seems that only German economy benefited from the awkward union of the countries whose only common ground was the continent of Europe and nothing else (apart from the global corporate interests).

Suzuki is safe while they have Asian markets. Totally different philosophy than SAAB. As the prices of fuel go up, small reliable all-around cars are the answer. Pity that Suzuki isn't doing so well in the US, but then again it was never such a strong small cars market like Asia and Europe.

Thirty-Nine
December 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Yup. It's a shame. I always liked SAAB though I never owned one. I would blame Sweden's EU membership for the troubles of Volvo and SAAB rather than partnership with GM. But it's another topic which is being widely discussed in EU lately. It seems that only German economy benefited from the awkward union of the countries whose only common ground was the continent of Europe and nothing else (apart from the global corporate interests).

Suzuki is safe while they have Asian markets. Totally different philosophy than SAAB. As the prices of fuel go up, small reliable all-around cars are the answer. Pity that Suzuki isn't doing so well in the US, but then again it was never such a strong small cars market like Asia and Europe.

As I understood it, SAAB needed someone in the 1990s to buy them or they would've failed back then. When GM sold it was the nail in the coffin.

And yes, the U.S. has never had the market for small cars that Asia or Europe has had. However, the A, B, and C-segments are the fastest growing segments in the U.S. markets, and if you don't have a competitive vehicle in at least the B and C segments, you might be left behind. Just a prediction.

Avalanche
December 23rd, 2011, 03:33 AM
A few years ago I kept hearing Saabs were nothing more than rebadged, overpriced Opels. When they added the Impreza clone (never got the intention behind it) I started to feel it was going to end this way.

A glimmer of hope was the new 9-5 which stands out nicely in the segment. I love the interior and the presence of the car overall. But you don't get 6-digit sales with this kind of halo car, not offering anything else once the attention is caught.

redzuki
December 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
sadness for my dad. saab owner since 1980. he has two now. he has a 9-3 aero and a 9-5.