PDA

View Full Version : sx4 turbo blown engine

Sx4turbo
December 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I just blew my engine due to overboosting 12psi, wasnt my intention burned boost controller hoses.

Anyway my question is if there are any internals out there for the sx4 or if anyone has done any mods to the engine. Just bought a new engine but trying to upgrade it before i swap it in.

vitus1978
December 15th, 2011, 11:01 PM
ah dude that sucks!!!!!!!!!

Wagoneer
December 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
What exactly failed?

AdR
December 16th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Was that in a one time run or did you never notice the boost gauge climbing and the a/f gauge going lean during a time lapse? It's rather unlikely to break the motor if it boosted to only 12psi in one single occation if of course it was noticed and you had shut down, that has to be horrible luck :(.

automat
December 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM
there are aftermarket rods available from pretty much every rod manufacturer. look for aerios (both J20 and J23) or 06-08 grand vitara, they all share the same rod size as the SX4.

you can get 02-03 aerio pistons to lower compression.

can you please share what exactly broke in the engine? I'd like to know if it's a broken rod or did it break in the ringlands?

jskandhari
December 16th, 2011, 08:35 AM
As requested above.. would like to know more info..
Well since for engine swap car is going to go on ramp I would suggest Dual Exhaust Setup from manifold to tips.. Better Intake needs equally efficient outflow

ROCK
December 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Call me. I may have an engine for sale. Plus we can talk about your overboost situation. Sorry to hear about your loss. 1st one in years for any reason.

ROAD/RACE

Sx4turbo
December 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Just bought an engine , get it shipped by next week. One of the hoses that goes to the wastegate from the boost controller burned out with the heat, i guess i didnt pay attention to the gauges at the time, i went over the psi for a few seconds then , next thing i know i have oil all over and a hole at the bootom of the engine block.

AdR
December 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. It's a pain when some freak accident occurs. Get some high temp hoses for those next time and insulate them with heat shield wrapping. These compartment temps seem to be a problem for many. Hope everything turns all right.

punksmurph
December 16th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Just bought an engine , get it shipped by next week. One of the hoses that goes to the wastegate from the boost controller burned out with the heat, i guess i didnt pay attention to the gauges at the time, i went over the psi for a few seconds then , next thing i know i have oil all over and a hole at the bootom of the engine block.

Do you have a vented hood? I know that the short time I had the turbo and no hood vents the temps could really shoot up there. I wonder how long the hoses had issues?

Sx4turbo
December 16th, 2011, 06:47 PM
will do thanks

Wagoneer
December 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I would suggest Dual Exhaust Setup from manifold to tips.. Better Intake needs equally efficient outflow
Dual exhaust on a single turbo inline 4?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/jackiechan_confused1.jpg

jskandhari
December 17th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Dual exhaust on a single turbo inline 4?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/Wagoneer855/jackiechan_confused1.jpg

ouch.. seems like not a popular or logical opinion !

Wagoneer
December 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
ouch.. seems like not a popular or logical opinion !
Not really logical at all when you think about it. Actually, quite impossible. If it was a twin turbo inline 4 then it would be possible, but still not logical at all.

True dual exhaust are really only beneficial to big V8's. 4 cyl and even most 6 cyl engines don't have a strong enough exhaust pulse to keep the exhaust pushing through with only 2 or 3 cyl firing. The exhaust gases will actually slow down and create turbulence at lower RPM's. That's why a lot of 'dual' exhaust on small V8's and V6's have a Y pipe somewhere in the middle to equal out exhaust flow and help low and mid-range torque. Having a huge exhaust is really only beneficial in the top-end with most applications and sometimes even robs low-end torque.

Turbo applications aren't as affected by it, but the same rules still applies but the turbo helps to equal out the exhaust flow.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there in terms of this thread, I can guarantee his engine failure was not due to his exhaust being too restrictive. I bet even the stock cat-back isn't all that restrictive at the ~200whp he's probably at, not to mention I assume he's probably using at least a 2.5" downpipe if he's using a 16G.

jskandhari
December 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Not really logical at all when you think about it. Actually, quite impossible. If it was a twin turbo inline 4 then it would be possible, but still not logical at all.

True dual exhaust are really only beneficial to big V8's. 4 cyl and even most 6 cyl engines don't have a strong enough exhaust pulse to keep the exhaust pushing through with only 2 or 3 cyl firing. The exhaust gases will actually slow down and create turbulence at lower RPM's. That's why a lot of 'dual' exhaust on small V8's and V6's have a Y pipe somewhere in the middle to equal out exhaust flow and help low and mid-range torque. Having a huge exhaust is really only beneficial in the top-end with most applications and sometimes even robs low-end torque.

Turbo applications aren't as affected by it, but the same rules still applies but the turbo helps to equal out the exhaust flow.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there in terms of this thread, I can guarantee his engine failure was not due to his exhaust being too restrictive. I bet even the stock cat-back isn't all that restrictive at the ~200whp he's probably at, not to mention I assume he's probably using at least a 2.5" downpipe if he's using a 16G.

Cyclinder Info is new to me.. A Big thank You for that :D , was aware of Y Pipe usage but it makes more sense to me now ! Thank You and apologies to others for taking it off topic.

AdR
December 18th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I am surprised nobody has actually asked. What about posting some specs of your setup and maybe pictures if you have some. Also pics of the engine damage.

Hope that engine gets there soon and you're on the road again.

Mack Zilla
December 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM
12psi is kind of wimpy. The internals actually let go or does it lift the head at that range?

automat
December 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM
12 psi is not dramatic, but detonating because it was not tuned to run 12 must have killed a rod.

Wagoneer
December 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM
12psi is very dramatic when it's a high compression engine to begin with.

AdR
December 19th, 2011, 09:40 PM
12 psi is not dramatic, but detonating because it was not tuned to run 12 must have killed a rod.

That's why when tuning it's recommended to always include a higher range that you actually are going to be running in as a precaution.

automat
December 20th, 2011, 07:09 AM
12psi is very dramatic when it's a high compression engine to begin with.

10.5:1 is not high in today's standards. the tuning is all that matters really. with the good ol' swift GT it had 10.0:1 CR and I have a few friends running in the 15-18psi range. that was impossible a few years ago when they were running 8 injectors and a cheap MSD boost retard module, but now with standalone ECUs it's much easier to squeeze more air without breaking stuff. it's all in the tuning

there was a time when turbo engines had 8.0 or 8.5:1 CR, but this is the past (these engines today can take 25-30psi all day long without major mods)

Wagoneer
December 20th, 2011, 08:15 AM
10.5:1 is not high in today's standards. the tuning is all that matters really. with the good ol' swift GT it had 10.0:1 CR and I have a few friends running in the 15-18psi range. that was impossible a few years ago when they were running 8 injectors and a cheap MSD boost retard module, but now with standalone ECUs it's much easier to squeeze more air without breaking stuff. it's all in the tuning

there was a time when turbo engines had 8.0 or 8.5:1 CR, but this is the past (these engines today can take 25-30psi all day long without major mods)

This is all way too generalized info. 30psi from a tiny little turbo is not same as 30psi through a GT40.

And 'these engines of today' are not all built equal. Doesn't matter about tuning, some engines just don't respond well to FI.

But you're right in saying engine management is getting better and better over the last few years. Boosted engines aren't having to run pig rich just as a safety blanket anymore.

The OP really needs to post some more info. This is a perfect example of something that could help a lot of people running FI on their SX4's.

A fool learns from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from others' mistakes.

AdR
December 20th, 2011, 02:36 PM
What I am curious to know is what kind of engine management he had (hope it was not just a fpr and a MBC) and if it was adjusted to compensate for any overboost conditions. I'd also like to know what turbine he was using and injector sizing...

ROCK
December 21st, 2011, 09:54 AM
Talk to me soon. I will help you get things routed safely when you reinstall the engine. A vented hood is a good idea too.

ROAD/RACE

Sx4turbo
December 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM
What I am curious to know is what kind of engine management he had (hope it was not just a fpr and a MBC) and if it was adjusted to compensate for any overboost conditions. I'd also like to know what turbine he was using and injector sizing...

Am using the RRM FTC1 from split second with an extra injector and a t3 turbo. Stock injectors were replace with the subaru wrx injectors.

Sx4turbo
December 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Talk to me soon. I will help you get things routed safely when you reinstall the engine. A vented hood is a good idea too.

ROAD/RACE

Ill probably get that hood soon.

Schultzey
December 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Am using the RRM FTC1 from split second with an extra injector and a t3 turbo. Stock injectors were replace with the subaru wrx injectors.

What is the flow rate of the injectors you are using? The injector sizing is not all the same for all years of the WRX.

Is the 5th injector you are using the same 1000cc injector provided with the RRM turbo kit?

automat
December 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM
so are you going to share what happened? I would really like to know what exactly let go.

AdR
December 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM

Does the FTC1 decreases injector dutycycle? 300-440cc injectors from WRX's on our cars output more cc's due to our higher psi. I am using the 440cc injectors without adding any additional at 8psi and have to lower the dutycycle cause without adjustment I'd be running pig rich. I am not talking about 1% or 2% decrese, it's a substantial decrease. RRM kits include an additional injector but keep the stockers. Why did you need a 5th injector with a t3? Give us the whole story! :D

Sx4turbo
December 26th, 2011, 05:50 PM
sorry i havent had time to check it out, but once i get the engine out ill post pictures am planning to take it all apart andd see what exacly went wrong

zukiuki
December 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM
sorry i havent had time to check it out, but once i get the engine out ill post pictures am planning to take it all apart andd see what exacly went wrong

What happened was...it just dun blowed up!

Die trying
December 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM
What happened was...it just dun blowed up!

lol

Wolfe787
December 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
well that sucks! you ever got it dynoed? Ive help tune 11:1 comp hondas running 15psi its just a thing of tunning. the cams are a big deal when running those pressures and timings

hope your back on track with the car! im saving cash bit by bit for my setup

Sx4turbo
December 29th, 2011, 05:29 PM
So here it is guys just took the engine out an the last connecting rod on the passengers side broke in pieces, and had a hole in the oil pan and one in each side of the block. The head was intact and also the crank was fine. Hopefully by tomorrow the new engine is back on.

AdR
December 29th, 2011, 05:54 PM
So do you know how lean your car got for it to blow and how much time it was on that a/f?