PDA

View Full Version : Swift Sport arrived here

Balansero
November 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's only 1 km and 14K EUR away from me. Official sales started with the promotional price. It's only 2K more than fully loaded "normal" 3 door Swift. And just a bit more expensive than 5 door A/T Swift.

http://www.b92.net/news/pics/2011/11/6131938544eb26dcb12e38374330792_640x40385.jpg

chrisrunsi
November 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
I look at this pic and only thing that comes ot mind is to lower it about 1-2"... Otherwise I really like it! Id' prob take out the back seats and make it a 2 seater!

I wish if/when suzuki remodels the SX4 that they would also use that larger rounded buldge to the hood instead of the pointy sort of slope it has now. Much sportier looking.

Die trying
November 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Jealous.

johnsnownw
November 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Jealous.
...+1

rsuzuki.219
November 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
+1 more and ugh Suzuki sell this in the USA!

Thirty-Nine
November 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
+1 more ... sigh.

bruno
November 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Just cant understand with all the emphisis on small cars in the U.S these days, they dont sell that here.

carcrazy003
November 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
+100 sigh

punksmurph
November 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM
It's only 1 km and 14K EUR away from me. Official sales started with the promotional price. It's only 2K more than fully loaded "normal" 3 door Swift. And just a bit more expensive than 5 door A/T Swift.

http://www.b92.net/news/pics/2011/11/6131938544eb26dcb12e38374330792_640x40385.jpg

Hey thanks for rubbing it in, how about turning the knife a bit more by driving one and telling us about it.

Grimlock1973
November 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Suzuki doe not need to remodel the SX4 in the US! Just rebadge the current Swift and make it awd with leather, heated seats, heated side mirrors, sunroof, and Garmin nav unit and I promise to buy 2!

Balansero
November 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hey thanks for rubbing it in, how about turning the knife a bit more by driving one and telling us about it.

Now that you insist, I have to take it for the test ride. :P

carcrazy003
November 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Did I mention that I hate you...:)

punksmurph
November 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Now that you insist, I have to take it for the test ride. :P

A video would just be pouring salt in the wound as well, if the sales guy is cool with it and all. :)

November 4th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Now that you insist, I have to take it for the test ride. :PActually, it'd be great to have some first-hand impressions from a forum member. :)

Balansero
November 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
And who's gonna buy me one if I fall in love with it? I'm a freelancer "in between projects". :twitch:

PaulD
November 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Suzuki doe not need to remodel the SX4 in the US! Just rebadge the current Swift and make it awd with leather, heated seats, heated side mirrors, sunroof, and Garmin nav unit and I promise to buy 2!

So by the time you've loaded the Swift down with the weight and losses of an AWD system you'll want a bigger motor and then you'll be wondering what's different from the SX4 you've already got :P

Grimlock1973
November 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
That's true BUT, I really like the look of the Swift over the SX4. My female employees keep telling me that my Sportback is cute and has cheeks ready to be pinched! Never got the "cute" comments with my H2 SUT. I think the Swift looks serious with some understated aggression thrown in.

Caterham
November 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
And who's gonna buy me one if I fall in love with it? I'm a freelancer "in between projects". :twitch:

I will. Please provide me with your account number, PIN #, and password and I will deposit the money in your account. :D

chief2001
November 5th, 2011, 01:29 AM

I have access to ALL of Suzuki's cars. :D

Avalanche
November 5th, 2011, 06:15 AM
...but have signed a confidentiality clause and can't tell you nuthin, right? :P

Aston martin sx4
November 6th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Now that you insist, I have to take it for the test ride. :P Take someone to video the test drive so we can see what it's like, since we have to live vicariously through your drive.

I have access to ALL of Suzuki's cars. :D So what's new and good for the future line up here?

MonteSX4
November 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I'm looking at the picture and am positively drooling...

Wagoneer
November 8th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I wish if/when suzuki remodels the SX4 that they would also use that larger rounded buldge to the hood instead of the pointy sort of slope it has now. Much sportier looking.
It's going to have to if they want to pass the stupid euro pedestrian crash tests.

Personally, I like the slanted nose more. That stupid law is causing a lot of butt-ugly front-end designs.

PaulD
November 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Maybe the SX4 already passes euro pedestrian crash tests, I see more "butt-ugly front-end designs" coming out of the US market :D

Balansero
November 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM
SX4 definitively passed pre 2009 Euro NCAP pedestrian safety test (http://www.euroncap.com/results/suzuki/sx4.aspx). As for the 'new' regulations, though pedestrian safety requirements are stricter from 2009 they are considered as integral result and thus the car can't be disqualified solely due to pedestrian safety test score (http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Faq/3e957d49-6cd5-406f-a37b-764f9d22cf71/pedestrian-safety.aspx).

I am driving 2010 model after all. :)

Avalanche
November 21st, 2011, 03:04 AM
Before Balansero posts a nice video review from the test drive, here's a new Swift Sport on the move ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaTwxh9cPg8&

pecci
November 21st, 2011, 11:42 PM
That is the sweetest-looking hatch I've ever seen. If this thing comes to America, though, it will probably come w/4 doors and a flower vase. Well...hope not!

2010sx4sport6spd
November 22nd, 2011, 05:17 AM
SX4 definitively passed pre 2009 Euro NCAP pedestrian safety test (http://www.euroncap.com/results/suzuki/sx4.aspx). As for the 'new' regulations, though pedestrian safety requirements are stricter from 2009 they are considered as integral result and thus the car can't be disqualified solely due to pedestrian safety test score (http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Faq/3e957d49-6cd5-406f-a37b-764f9d22cf71/pedestrian-safety.aspx).

I am driving 2010 model after all. :)

i dont suffer from insanity either....nice sig balansero!

carcrazy003
November 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
No comment, my blood is boiling :mad:

dex
November 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
some lovely pics: http://www.suzuki4.co.uk/newswiftsport/gallery.html

k44rll
November 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM
......the current Swift and make it awd

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6037/6339117485_ccab445406_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6396925199_1b9ae3fc6d_b.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6114/6339118737_0ecd4bbd9d_b.jpg

Karl :thumb:

B-Spec
November 29th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Obviously Suzuki knows something that we don't.. There is no reason that I can think of why they would have such a popular car in every other country but here. I would love to know the real reason besides the crash testing..

Thirty-Nine
November 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Obviously Suzuki knows something that we don't.. There is no reason that I can think of why they would have such a popular car in every other country but here. I would love to know the real reason besides the crash testing..

For the last several years, they've said they cannot find a way to bring the Swift to the U.S. and make money on it due to the Dollar:Yen ratio.

Die trying
November 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
For the last several years, they've said they cannot find a way to bring the Swift to the U.S. and make money on it due to the Dollar:Yen ratio.

Bull****. every other Japanese manufacturer can do it.

I have come to the conclusion that Suzuki is not a business as most people would think of it. Businesses exist to prosper and make money. Suzuki is a family owned venture and I swear they exist just to employ Osamu's family. Suzuki seems to care little about profits, sales numbers, customer demands, market trends, or even making cars. I love my sx4 but suzuki confounds me.

carcrazy003
November 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I spoke with one of my suzuki dealers in canada and they told me the reason the swift hasn't came to the US is because it cant pass our emissions and suzuki being the cheap company they are, they do not want to spend millions in R&D to fix the problem when the car is doing so well in their larger markets. Sucks but makes sense... :(

Avalanche
November 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Are your emission standards stricter than Euro 5?
If not, that's a load of crap.

carcrazy003
November 29th, 2011, 03:13 PM
not sure what the emissions regulations are. makes sense considering anytime a car comes from overseas it is neutered and all we get is a watered down version of what the car should be.

PaulD
November 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I spoke with one of my suzuki dealers in canada and they told me the reason the swift hasn't came to the US is because it cant pass our emissions and suzuki being the cheap company they are, they do not want to spend millions in R&D to fix the problem when the car is doing so well in their larger markets. Sucks but makes sense... :(

According to Suzuki's 2011 Annual Report North America is 4% of their business.

B-Spec
November 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM
According to Suzuki's 2011 Annual Report North America is 4% of their business.

I am pretty sure that this is one of the real reasons... I doubt it has anything to do with our emissions regulations.

Die trying
November 29th, 2011, 05:14 PM
With Suzuki's "marketing strategy" and dealer network in the US I'm surprised the numbers are that high. Suzuki could do better, it just seems they dont want to.

carcrazy003
November 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Like I said that is what the dealer told me, but then again they blow smoke up people butts all time. I personally still think that its because the US is such a small part of their business they dont see a need to send the car here.

punksmurph
November 29th, 2011, 09:10 PM

This is incorrect, all Suzuki has to do is tune the Swift to run US 87 octane and add 1 extra sensor to meet CARB standards. Federal emissions are on par with Euro5 but CARB has extra standards like 2 cats and certain sensor criteria to easily track emissions. It is not a million dollar issues, more like the $10K question. Talking to people at Suzuki I can tell you that we almost got the Swift twice, but the 2004 generation had crash test issues that would have been costly to solve. Suzuki decided to build the current Swift with US crash testing in mind but the Yen to dollar ratio is so bad that Suzuki would have to sell the Swift at SX4 prices to break even. The Swift is suppose to be priced under the SX4 and would be competitive with the Kia Rio and Nissan Versa here in the US. It is all about money, mostly how much each car makes as Suzuki is a low volume brand.

November 29th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Bull****. every other Japanese manufacturer can do it....most of whom have North American plants as a hedge against currency fluctuation. Suzuki lacks that buffer, and as value brand operates on thinner margins to begin with. Much of the SX4's re-contenting in recent years is due to the dollar-yen relationship.

Avalanche
November 29th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I read somewhere the veedub alliance was to give Suzuki access to their NA plant. Oh well...

punksmurph
November 30th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I read somewhere the veedub alliance was to give Suzuki access to their NA plant. Oh well...

Unfortunately not, the main part that would have help the US is joint dealer servicing agreement that was talked about right after the ink dried. But that fell apart quickly. I wish Suzuki would partner with Mitsubishi to build the Swift in the US during an idle shift at their plant.

Ronzuki
November 30th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I showed the above picture to my wife last night..."ooohh I like that! I can see myself driving one of those."

Thirty-Nine
November 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM
This is incorrect, all Suzuki has to do is tune the Swift to run US 87 octane and add 1 extra sensor to meet CARB standards. Federal emissions are on par with Euro5 but CARB has extra standards like 2 cats and certain sensor criteria to easily track emissions. It is not a million dollar issues, more like the $10K question. Talking to people at Suzuki I can tell you that we almost got the Swift twice, but the 2004 generation had crash test issues that would have been costly to solve. Suzuki decided to build the current Swift with US crash testing in mind but the Yen to dollar ratio is so bad that Suzuki would have to sell the Swift at SX4 prices to break even. The Swift is suppose to be priced under the SX4 and would be competitive with the Kia Rio and Nissan Versa here in the US. It is all about money, mostly how much each car makes as Suzuki is a low volume brand.

Yep. A FWD SX4 sedan has an MSRP as low as $13,699. If Swift is supposed to slot under the SX4, it'd likely have to cost less, and I'd think it'd be right on par with the SX4's price. The big "what if" is when/if the SX4 gets a major refresh in 2013/2014. I'd think they could align things so that the Swift could slot in somewhere. Then again, who knows. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Suzuki's planning meetings.

On the other hand, there are plenty of markets that get both SX4 and Swift. And with the subcompact/b-segment growing so well in the U.S., perhaps Suzuki could offer two different subcompacts and get away with it (assuming the two were marketed correctly). I mean, if there is one company in the world that is known for small cars, it's Suzuki. Perhaps they could become known for it here, too. There's no reason (other than money) they couldn't. It's not like they don't have the vehicles to do it.

Avalanche
November 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I have no intention to tease but here's a nice review from Down Under.
For those who question if this car could sell in the US, check out the sales figure for the previous generation Swift in Australia (and consider it population-wise ;) )
http://www.caradvice.com.au/105123/suzuki-swift-glx-review/

PaulD
November 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM
On the other hand, there are plenty of markets that get both SX4 and Swift. And with the subcompact/b-segment growing so well in the U.S., perhaps Suzuki could offer two different subcompacts and get away with it (assuming the two were marketed correctly). I mean, if there is one company in the world that is known for small cars, it's Suzuki. Perhaps they could become known for it here, too. There's no reason (other than money) they couldn't. It's not like they don't have the vehicles to do it.

In NZ there's Alto 1.0l, Splash 1.2l, Swift 1.4l and SX4 2.0l. There is a problem crowding so many into the same market and some are sourced from Indian factories rather than Japan to keep the price down.

punksmurph
November 30th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I have no intention to tease but here's a nice review from Down Under.
For those who question if this car could sell in the US, check out the sales figure for the previous generation Swift in Australia (and consider it population-wise ;) )
http://www.caradvice.com.au/105123/suzuki-swift-glx-review/

Your mean, I almost started crying while reading that. I want the swift so badly :(

Avalanche
November 30th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Accept my apologies. Wish I could stand you a beer or a shot ;)

Thirty-Nine
November 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM
In NZ there's Alto 1.0l, Splash 1.2l, Swift 1.4l and SX4 2.0l. There is a problem crowding so many into the same market and some are sourced from Indian factories rather than Japan to keep the price down.

True, but NZ probably has way more small cars (a- and b-segment cars) per capita than North America. The only company I can think of here that offers more than one b-segment car under the same nameplate is Nissan with the Versa and Cube. I suppose Kia with the Soul and Rio, also ...

On a side note, I have family in NZ. They live on Waiheke Island. :thumbup: (They have a Mazda Demio)