PDA

View Full Version : Limit Signature Size

punksmurph
November 22nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
I think we need a good hard limit on the signature size. There are places that let people get insane with it and it just adds to load time for pages. I say just limit them to hight to half of what we get for avatars and the standard length of the text box.

The Shadow
November 22nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
I guess anyone with "Administrator" under their name can make it any way they want it. Eh?

Is my sig too long (big) ? How should/would I change it?

Shadow :cool:

EDIT: Never mind. I dropped out two lines and condensed the rest. Is it OK now?

markolson
November 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
I have mixed feelings about signatures in general. One side of me says that the information is good - the other side says why do I have to see that same block of text 100 times a day. I would not have a problem with limiting the sig to one line in a smaller fount that the default text size of the board. Most of us never read the other user's sigs anyway so why bother?

Mandi
November 22nd, 2010, 08:31 AM
I read the sigs sometimes. I think some sigs are way to big, and smaller text would be helpful. I have a long sig, but I use smaller text. Going to make mine a little smaller.

Caterham
November 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I read the sigs sometimes. I think some sigs are way to big, and smaller text would be helpful. I have a long sig, but I use smaller text. Going to make mine a little smaller.
Mandi, you've also gone full width, which decreases the length. It's a good sig.

TomC
November 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM
Mandi, you've also gone full width, which decreases the length.

:eek:

AuricTech
November 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Durned signature file editor won't let me add a second line, because when I have two lines, it says I'm limited to three lines or fewer....

AuricTech
November 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
All right, I managed a workaround that lets me have two lines....

punksmurph
November 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
I guess anyone with "Administrator" under their name can make it any way they want it. Eh?

I really like to have community feed back before decisions are made. I do like to know how people feel. The Admin team would rather not have users upset. To some signatures are superficial, in fact I don't even have them display for me, to others they are really important. I like to know were people stand so a good decision can be made.

As the Admin/Mod team we can make quick decisions, but like good alcohol, good decisions take time.

Ale Ane
November 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I really like to have community feed back before decisions are made. I do like to know how people feel. The Admin team would rather not have users upset. To some signatures are superficial, in fact I don't even have them display for me, to others they are really important. I like to know were people stand so a good decision can be made.

As the Admin/Mod team we can make quick decisions, but like good alcohol, good decisions take time.I agree with you there and I understand that you lot are hard at work nourishing this new site, but I have mentioned a couple of concerns that have yet to be acknowledged. I prefer not to ask directly, via PM, about these as I feel others should know as well.

Here they are: 1 (http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43) 2 (http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13&p=152#post152)

punksmurph
November 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
I agree with you there and I understand that you lot are hard at work nourishing this new site, but I have mentioned a couple of concerns that have yet to be acknowledged. I prefer not to ask directly, via PM, about these as I feel others should know as well.

Here they are: 1 (http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43) 2 (http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13&p=152#post152)

We will take it up in our discussion area for mods and see what solution will work. I can tell you that many of the limits are the vBulletin defaults as we rushed getting this site up and running. We are still working on details as people trail over. Also for moving data I think that as a community we will come up with a standard and work it out in that specific thread.

Ale Ane
November 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
We will take it up in our discussion area for mods and see what solution will work. I can tell you that many of the limits are the vBulletin defaults as we rushed getting this site up and running. We are still working on details as people trail over. Also for moving data I think that as a community we will come up with a standard and work it out in that specific thread.Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated. Sometimes, I feel you're the only liaison here. :P

Brumbie13
November 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
I agree with you there and I understand that you lot are hard at work nourishing this new site, but I have mentioned a couple of concerns that have yet to be acknowledged. I prefer not to ask directly, via PM, about these as I feel others should know as well.

I have probably spent about an average of 10 hours a day since Saturday working on the site.
I am trying to address as much as I can, but there is a lot that all needs to be done at once.

I know you understand, but please be a little patient as I work at getting this all worked out.
Thanks. :)

Caterham
November 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have probably spent about an average of 10 hours a day since Saturday working on the site.
I am trying to address as much as I can, but there is a lot that all needs to be done at once.

I know you understand, but please be a little patient as I work at getting this all worked out.
Thanks. :)
thanks dude. And thank your bride for the lack of attention.:rolf:

Mandi
November 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
My sig now I think is great, but I would like to be able to add all of the mods to the list, and I can't it says I only have a certian amount of lines. If we still were allowed 5 lines with small text it would still be less than half the size of are avatar's. I like to read the sigs that have the mods or future mods. It also helps to know who has what that way if I have a question about a mod only 1 or 2 people have then I can just PM them instead of making a thread. Thanks Guys!!

Mandi

The Shadow
November 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Most of what Mandi says, is the reason that my sig is still so long, even though I've taken out several mods and tried to condense the rest. If required, to save Server Space, I can either eliminate my sig line all together or make it a "One Liner".
I only list all my mods, because I've seen others doing the same.

Can we have a firm ruling on what's accepted and what's not? That would answer a lot of possible questions.

Shadow

Wyliec
November 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
I have no problem with the current restrictions, I don't find them to be too large or distracting. But like was pointed out, people do have the option in their settings to not show sigs if they prefer.

Brumbie13
November 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Can we have a firm ruling on what's accepted and what's not? That would answer a lot of possible questions.
The rule that I put into place yesterday limited signatures to 3 lines.

The Shadow
November 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Ok......mine is too big.....that's what I wanted to know. Thank you!
I've tried twice now, in the last hour, to cut mine down in size but both times the change did NOT take.
I'll try one more time.

Shadow

EDIT: Apparently, it worked this time. (I think I had just forgotten to REFRESH my browser)

Caterham
November 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Looks good Shadow.

Mandi
November 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
The rule that I put into place yesterday limited signatures to 3 lines.

So is that how it's going to stay or are you going to allow it to be more? The message I get is your only allowed up to 3 lines. I made my sig before you limited the sig so that is why I have a little over 2 lines.

Mandi

wildcat
November 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
yes give the admin team time to settle the dust

TomC
November 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM
3 tiny lines for a sig works for me.
When the sig is larger than the post, it's silly IMHO.