PDA

View Full Version : Newbie upgrade questions

endsjustifymeans
October 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hey all,

Been lurking for a while and finally decided to speak up.

I've had my SX4 for about 2 years now and have been extremely happy with it but have been planning some mods to help it better fit my needs and am seeking some advice.

I'm not really interested in a speed boost, I won't complain if any mods offer this but it's not a primary goal in any way. My SX4 serves 2 primary purposes, a commuter for my long daily drive from Baltimore, MD to Vienna, VA and as a towing car for my motorcycles, camping/hunting gear, etc.

So my two primary interests in upgrades are towing performance and MPG (very slight off road needs as well), which I realize are probably in some ways at odds with each other. I'm currently netting 27.7 mpg average which I am very content with, so I'd like to stay in that range or preferably increase that number post upgrades.

I'm already looking at a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/60-16 Tires per a number of good reviews I've read, and a drop in K&N filter. What other upgrades, cost effective preffered, will assist me in my goals? Lightweight pulley? Piggyback unit?

chrisrunsi
October 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Piggyback has a nice increase on the performance of the car, also has increased my MPG's when I keep my foot out of it. Lightweight pulley would also help a little in MPGs and free up a couple horse as well. From what I hear this stock muffler is restrictive as well. Upgrading the muffler and upping the pipes to 2.25" will help also. Thats pretty much all thats available for our cars lol.

endsjustifymeans
October 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Are there any suggested 2.25" exhaust systems for the SX4 that will keep emissions correct?

Balansero
October 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Is that Gibson 335? '67-'68?

Adema135
October 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
My mechanic says that the pulley will drain power from your electric accessories such as radio, lights, etc. He recommended against it. As to the truth of this, I can't say. But it's something to think about since you drive so much. I have a CAI on my car and the performance/mpg increase has been marginal at best. For what you might spend on all of these upgrades, it could take years for them to pay for themselves. I apologize for any trolling, it's not my intent. IMO you're best bet to save gas is cutting weight (I have a sedan, do the rear seats remove comepletely in the hatch?) and using a lighter right foot.

endsjustifymeans
October 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Is that Gibson 335? '67-'68?

Fender coranado. '68 I think, it's my friends.

Balansero
October 13th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Fender coranado. '68 I think, it's my friends.

Sweet. Now I see that black tailpiece.

And back to the topic. Adema is right. Pulley will supply less power to electrical devices. So if you are frequently in stop 'n' go traffic, idling a lot, that might not be the right mod.
BTW Welcome to the forum.:)

chrisrunsi
October 13th, 2011, 07:50 AM
My mechanic says that the pulley will drain power from your electric accessories such as radio, lights, etc. He recommended against it. As to the truth of this, I can't say. But it's something to think about since you drive so much. I have a CAI on my car and the performance/mpg increase has been marginal at best. For what you might spend on all of these upgrades, it could take years for them to pay for themselves. I apologize for any trolling, it's not my intent. IMO you're best bet to save gas is cutting weight (I have a sedan, do the rear seats remove comepletely in the hatch?) and using a lighter right foot.

Apologies, I forget that my 2011 has a different pulley option, mine is a ligthweight version that is the same diameter as stock, no changei n charging there. A CAI or SRI would technically decrease MPG since you are making more air available and ultimately more gas can be used.

pecci
October 17th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Apologies, I forget that my 2011 has a different pulley option, mine is a ligthweight version that is the same diameter as stock, no changei n charging there. A CAI or SRI would technically decrease MPG since you are making more air available and ultimately more gas can be used.

Wonder why RRM doesn't produce one like this for 2007-09 SX4's????

Wagoneer
October 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I just wish someone would come out with some sort of tunable ECU for Suzuki's. They tune these 'fuel efficient' cars so damn rich!

carcrazy003
October 17th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I wish COBB would come out with ECU or Programer, there is a guy in my neighborhood with GTR R35 that has the Cobb tuner and he loves it. I havent played around with it yet but it looks very cool, I here alot of subaru guys use them too. Maybe some previous Subaru owners that had one could chime in....:)

Schultzey
October 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Wonder why RRM doesn't produce one like this for 2007-09 SX4's????

They already paid to have a pulley designed for the 07-09 models. It works well so there is no need to redesign it. I did not notice any change to the electrical system with the pulley installed.

I just wish someone would come out with some sort of tunable ECU for Suzuki's. They tune these 'fuel efficient' cars so damn rich!

There are different types of piggyback systems out there that will allow you to modify the fuel curve of our cars. You will have to look up the wire connections on your own and tune it.

The PSC1 piggyback is already tuned out of the box by RRM. It has instructions on how to wire the unit to your ECU. This is as easy as it will get if you are only concerned about altering the fuel map. The piggyback RRM offers also comes with the Split Second R4 software that will allow you to connect a computer to the piggyback to modify the tune.

Wagoneer
October 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
The piggyback RRM offers also comes with the Split Second R4 software that will allow you to connect a computer to the piggyback to modify the tune.
Reeeeaaaaally? Maybe it's worthwhile afterall! First item on the list after my warranty is up!

Does it have datalogging as well? Why aren't more people doing this?!

Schultzey
October 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Reeeeaaaaally? Maybe it's worthwhile afterall! First item on the list after my warranty is up!

Does it have datalogging as well? Why aren't more people doing this?!

It doesn't do data logging. A separate wideband system is needed to help tune the piggyback.

B-Spec
October 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I wish COBB would come out with ECU or Programer, there is a guy in my neighborhood with GTR R35 that has the Cobb tuner and he loves it. I havent played around with it yet but it looks very cool, I here alot of subaru guys use them too. Maybe some previous Subaru owners that had one could chime in....:)

I have known Cobb from way back in the Subaru days. I have used a few of the tuners he has on Subies and they are all great.. I don't think he is going to make a tuner for a car that has such little going for it to be honest.

carcrazy003
October 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have known Cobb from way back in the Subaru days. I have used a few of the tuners he has on Subies and they are all great.. I don't think he is going to make a tuner for a car that has such little going for it to be honest.
one can hope......but I also hope to win the lottery.... :)