PDA

View Full Version : Another idea in regards to performance

pecci
September 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have a drop-in K&N air filter, and was thinking how much more a CAI or SAI would help. Any ideas on this?

Now, I wonder if there is any way cooler air can be directed into the drop-in filter, in a more beneficial way, than the stock route.

Comments welcome ... but remember your dealing with a novice.:O

zukiuki
September 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I think the stock system keeps the intake air as cool as it's is going to get. This is based on readings of the AI temps. with both systems. I've had a CAI system on my car and the air intake temperatures are the same; if not better with the stock system. The only thing the CAI system has that might effect the air temperature is the coolant bypass to the throttle body is eliminated. Without engine coolant flowing through the TB the air stays cooler.
This ought to open up some conversation.

skywag
September 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM
K&N filters are pure junk. All they do is let more dirt in with the more air. And the air is CERTAINLY no colder. What a joke!!

pecci
September 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
K&N filters are pure junk. All they do is let more dirt in with the more air. And the air is CERTAINLY no colder. What a joke!!

Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Geesh!

Die trying
September 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Since youre an expert maybe you can suggest a different solution?

Pecci you could always plug the bottom part of the stock intake where it goes into the grill. The bottom of that is open to help prevent debris from being sucked in but thats what you have a filter for.

carcrazy003
September 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I have been using K&N filters for over 12 years in all of my cars and never had a bad experience...... I would LOVE to hear where you got your insightful information from.

punksmurph
September 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Seeing as I ran a K&N in my wife's Sentra for 8 years with out a single issue I would love to see what evidence you have for this.

pecci
September 27th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I wonder if an air dam/hood-scoop can be used to an advantage. Yeah, I know I'm really stretching now.

Balansero
September 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I wonder if an air dam/hood-scoop can be used to an advantage.

Sure, to provide some fresh air for the inter-cooler radiator.:D

pecci
September 28th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Sure, to provide some fresh air for the inter-cooler radiator.:D

Not sure I know what you mean, exept for it to be funny.

I warned you about me being novice.

Balansero
September 28th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Not sure I know what you mean, exept for it to be funny.

I warned you about me being novice.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_a_turbo_intercooler_do

polarbear
September 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Used a K&N replacement on my previous car (Thunderbird) for 10 years,also have one in my KZ1000. I can report no harmful effects. I can report slightly better mpg and off the line performance! I also didn't have to buy replacement air filters 2-3 times a year.:thumb:

AKSX4
September 28th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I run a K&N on my 5.3 Chevy truck with an intake... no issues and I clean and re-oil twice a year, improved mileage, and response as well, I'm not so sure the same effect has been found on my 2011 SX4, the RR intake seems to be not helping anything, and the AIR FLOW sensor seems to have to be in BACKWARDS to mount up... hmmm

that may need to be another thread.

powerhouse
September 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I put the K&N filter in about 500 miles ago or so and I noticed an immediate performance increase off the line. I haven't really noticed any difference once the car is up to speed and I haven't noticed any increase in MPG but I was getting 32-34 mpg before the filter anyway. I'll wait and see if their are any other benefits or problems in the future but I'm more than pleased with it so far.

powerhouse

pecci
September 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM
... and so am I. The acceleration gain is noticeable. I was just wondering if there was a way to take it up another notch.

DynaSG
October 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM

methinks I smell a troll

mcmuda
October 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
I wonder if an air dam/hood-scoop can be used to an advantage. Yeah, I know I'm really stretching now.

Pepboys :P

pecci
October 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Pepboys :P

Huh? What does this have to do with Manny, Moe & Jack?