PDA

View Full Version : motor trend article

redzuki
August 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2011/1110_vw_and_suzuki_arent_getting_along/index.html

Die trying
August 16th, 2011, 06:42 AM
i read that too. I don't know what to believe anymore. Personally I think Suzuki should cut their losses before VW just gobbles them up.

TomC
August 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
American Suzuki cites problems that have nothing to do with the VW tie-in. It had 500 dealerships here as recently as 2006, and now has about 300. Suzuki is offering incentives to poorly performing dealerships, a spokesman says, to take down signage and return to the used-car market, which has boomed since '08. Many of those dealers are selling one or two Suzukis per month

The fat lady is starting to sing.:(

zukiuki
August 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM
You wonder how long it will be, before you are unable to buy any parts for these cars ! My plan was to make this my last new car purchase. Second thoughts are starting to swirl around in my mind at this point. With parts being so proprietary and expensive in the first place, what are they going to be when they become museum pieces? Then there's the question, "Where can I have my car repaired under this fantastic 7 yr, 100,000 mile warranty? "Time is beginning to tell.

punksmurph
August 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I feel as though Suzuki is not thinking out side of the box, when times are tough you have to step out of what works and into what can we try. I think if Suzuki showed effort to build the Swift here in the US at another manufacturers plant people would be talking less about the brands demise. There is no forward progress with ASMC and I think that is what angers people.

1rocky
August 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
the swift would be a great car to sell in America.
it is very popular here in Aus. it would make dollar sense to sell in a bigger market.
when reading the article and noticing that sx4 is the highest seller i wonder what the swift would do.

Aston martin sx4
August 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM
the swift would be a great car to sell in America.
it is very popular here in Aus. it would make dollar sense to sell in a bigger market.
when reading the article and noticing that sx4 is the highest seller i wonder what the swift would do.

If we got the swift chances are it would meet the "American" standards, so just picture the sx4 with a different body kit. My guess is that it would be boring and dull to drive get mediocre and wouldn't sell here.

jute2003
August 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Meh, perhaps suzuki is failing here but that seemed more like a piece written by an angry vdub fanboy than legitimate auto journalism.

Grimlock1973
August 17th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Suzuki can bring the Swift, Jimney, etc.. and the sales numbers will still be in the crapper! No aggressive advertisement campaign and reliable dealer network means no new customers in the showrooms!!

I will say it again, you can have the GREATEST PRODUCT OR SERVICE BUT IF NO ONE KNOWS OR CARES YOU ARE DOA!!!

Suzuki needs to imitate Hyunda, Kia, and Ford in the US if they want a chance to survive here.

Ronzuki
August 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Suzuki needs to imitate Hyunda, Kia, and Ford in the US if they want a chance to survive here.

Why so they can be "me too"? Then the prices move UP to the Hyunda, Kia and Ford levels as well. Someone has to pay for all that, and you don't think it's going to be the auto company do you? I'm not interested in that at all. We looked at Hyundai and Kia before we bought our second SX4....more money and no AWD....pass. Didn't want one of their over-priced SUVs either to simply get 4WD. Looked at Ford Fusion before I purchased the Kiz...really liked the car, had one as a loaner once. Same story, more money for the car than I wanted spend, no AWD and stuff I had no desire to have in the car (Sync for example).

Like I've said before, I've owned new Japanese built Suzukis since 1986 and have not needed much of anything at all from the dealers. Total of 2 warranty claims on 6 vehicles and unknown thousands of miles since 1986. Care to know how many warranty claims on GM, VW and Chrysler vehicles I've owned during the same time period? Suzuki cars are designed and built to last better than most manufacturers IMHO. Sure, there's always the basket case in every brand and/or model, but I simply go by my maintence folders....they tell me the zuks required far fewer trips for non-maint. related service over the last 25 years.

Grimlock1973
August 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
That's great that Suzuki vehicles are built to last BUT that isn't going to save the brand in the US market. Suzuki needs to aggressively invest in better ads and get the word out to the "average" American consumer who is looking for an affordable, safe, and reliable vehicle. No one knows about Suzuki other than people that already own one. The dealer network sucks so bad it's not funny! Who wants to buy a car if they have no confidence that their dealer will be in business?

My point about following Hyundai, Kia, and Ford is on the marketing front. You have to advertise over and over to get the "average" consumer to pay attention and to possibly visit the dealer. No one is saying that Suzuki should raise their prices for new cars and pass it onto the consumer. Suzuki should have budgeted enough money to run ads and get the word out there that they a a solid car company that people can trust in for years to come.

rubicon4wheeler
August 17th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Did anyone see Suzuki's great big ad in the latest issue of Car & Driver? THAT is the kind of advertising they need to be doing, along with more TV ads. They're expensive but it'll definitely pay off in the long term (if Suzuki is interested in sticking around long-term, that is).

2010sx4sport6spd
August 17th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Did anyone see Suzuki's great big ad in the latest issue of Car & Driver? THAT is the kind of advertising they need to be doing, along with more TV ads. They're expensive but it'll definitely pay off in the long term (if Suzuki is interested in sticking around long-term, that is).

I did :)

ajfear24
August 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/suzuki-fed-up-with-volkswagen-may-partner-with-fiat-instead/

2010sx4sport6spd
August 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
a little off topic but i parked next to a brand new Jetta sedan today...lol

2010sx4sport6spd
August 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/suzuki-fed-up-with-volkswagen-may-partner-with-fiat-instead/
I hope they can work out further partnership with Fiat...cause Fiat surely needs it...the Sedici is the best offering in their lineup in my opinion though I like the Panda and 500...I've heard there's been some problems with the new 500's already nothing too serious I guess...though not going to list them here...

Wagoneer
August 18th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Until North American's become more educated on vehicles and not walk into a dealer with blinders on because they hear about "employee pricing" and a low price tag, companies like Suzuki will never have a chance.

I like that the dealerships up here in Canada are giving away a $25 gas card with every test drive, but barely anybody knows about the damn deal until after the test drive! I test drove an SX4 and was handed one after without even knowing what it was! If you advertise deals like that it will bring people in! If half the people went and test drove an SX4 rather than one of the other cars in it's class, they'd be in an SX4.

My Dad has never even HEARD of a Kizashi until I told him about while we were picking up my SX4. He went and test drove it and now it might be his next new car! This is after driving numorous other more expensive cars in it's class.

But there's no reason why they can't bring the swift over here. Ford has the euro fiesta and focus, fiat has the 500, mercedes brought the smart over (to the states eventually) and all of those cars are doing/did well over here! Don't tell me there isn't a market for a sub-20 grand sport hatchback in North america!! If there wasn't, mazda, honda, toyota and kia would all be bust!

But I've dealt with crap like this my whole life, coming from Volvo and no Suzuki. They both have the exact same problems! I guess I'm drawn to niche market cars!