PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened.

powerhouse
June 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
After about a year and a half and 36,000 miles, I got my first "ding" on my little buddy.
My wife just had knee surgery and is recovering so I ran some errands for her yesterday including a stop at the local wholesale club.
Now I never park near the cart return areas in the parking lots and I didn't yesterday but as luck or fate would have it, I parked about 100 feet downhill and across the lot from one.
When I returned to my car after shopping,(only about 15-20 minutes), there was an empty cart up against my rear fender above the left wheel.
After I looked closely, I noticed a not so nice dent and scuff mark there.
It appears as though the wind took the empty cart and propelled it towards my car gaining momentum all the way down hill.
It's somewhat funny because all the way home I'm getting madder and madder, assuming everyone is looking at the bright flashing dent on my car and laughing at me.
I get home and even from a distance, there it is glaring at me.
I go in the house and tell everyone what happened.
They all run out to investigate and after walking around the car three times, I had to point it out to them.
To me it's a HUGE dent. Apparently no one else can see it.
Oh well, I knew it had to happen sooner or later.
I have now learned in addition to not parking anywhere near the empty carts but also to not park down hill from them either.
I took a small body work suction cup and pulled a little of the dent out but it extends below the plastic trim around the wheel wells so I guess I've got to remove it and try to pop it out from behind.
Just thought I'd share.

powerhouse

shulgi
June 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I got a "big ding" at 6 months and 23,500 mi when I hit a deer. The body shop fixed it back to new (took a month), but within a week of getting it back a grad student slid into the back in the first snow of the year -- cracked the rear skid plate and put a 6" scratch/skuff in the bumper. I didn't want to deal with insurance/bodyshops again, so I ended up just touching up the scratch with some touch-up paint so it wasn't so noticeable to me. That's how I lost that "new car feeling.":hi:
I'm hoping to give the car its spring wax this week and notice I have 2-3 paint chips in the hood that need touch-up (turned over 94,000 miles this morning).
I'm amazed and feel lucky I haven't gotten parking lot damage. That's the most annoying - pure carelessness by someone else.:mad:
Hope you get it fixed.

SX4DUDE2013
June 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM
DANG!! That sucks!!
A good dent guy can get em out :)

I am currently at 3 years and 35,000 miles. NO dents or major scratches :)
I try to steer clear.
I have had some slight scratches that I was about to buff out.
The chips on the hood are HORRIABLE though!!! My cars paint is litterally chipping off :(

brandon
June 20th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I called a guy that works for a company called Press-A-Dent. He took 2 my dings out for $90, and the car looks fantastic. :D I thought about adding the door guards, but don't think I would like the way the car would look. I will be taking the money I would have paid for the guards and buying some carbon fiber door handle covers soon. I'm starting to become a carbon fiber addict.

powerhouse
June 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I removed the black plastic trim around the left rear wheel and tried again with the suction cups but because of the way the area is somewhat rounded and contoured, I couldn't pull the dent out so I removed the left rear wheel and pulled back enough of the plastic inner fender well to enable me to get a drill up there.
I drilled two small holes on the inner doublewall and was able to put a small punch through from the insde to pop the dent back out.
It looks about 98% factory perfect again. There is just a very small "dimple" that even I cant see unless I look hard enough at the right angle in the right light and I can live with that.
My main concern was that the dent pushed the fender wall in away from the plastic trim aroud the wheel by almost 1/4 to 1/2 inch creating a gap for water to get behind. I was afraid that in the winter, the water would freeze and push the plastic trim off.
It's now back to normal with a good seal between the fender wall and the trim....just like factory.
There is a very thin piece of rubber gasket that runs along the ridge of the plastic trim that had seperated from the trim. I applied some sealant/adhesive to it and it's all good now.
The most valuable lesson in this is in addition to never parking near the cart return areas,(which I don't and never have), is make sure you don't park down hill from one either even if it's all the way across the lot like I did.

powerhouse

B-Spec
June 25th, 2011, 06:48 AM
The chips on the hood are HORRIABLE though!!! My cars paint is litterally chipping off :(

Same here..Mine looks like the surface of the moon.. Owell

Aston martin sx4
June 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Wow you're all lucky, I got my first ding/hit and run the day after I got my car.