PDA

View Full Version : FOUND the tires I want :)

SX4DUDE2013
June 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
So after A LOT of searching online/calling tirerack/reading forums/ and going to local stores....I think I found the best tire for my budget.

I have about 35,000 miles on stock and they gotta go. I want more grip/style/and a overall bigger tire.

My mother originally told me she would buy me tires in August for my birthday. She kinda backed out when she saw the tires/prices we were looking at. In the $700-$1000 range.
She said she would pay $250 and to call my father to ask for the rest. lolz :)

I found a set of Bridgestones. They are $716 out the door at a local Firestone. The are the RE760 Sports in the size 225/45/17.
That price is a lil more than I want to have my parents pay.
They have a VER, VERY comparable tire by Bridgestone called the FireHawk Indy 500 Wide Oval.

Here is a pic:
http://s4.postimage.org/jap59weq9/ku_ecsta_spt_ci2_l.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

They have a sale going on til next week where the total INSTALLED price is $606 and you get a $50 rebate card. So the total after discounts would be like $556. BTW, they are 320 tread wear and AA traction.

What do yall think about the price. They are orginally $710. From the reviews they seem really good, espically for $550. I will talk to my dad tonite. I hope to have some new shoes installed next week!!! FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

What yall think. For that price, is it my best bet?

Caterham
June 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM
It looks like a fine summer tire, but I wouldn't want them in snow.

SX4DUDE2013
June 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
It looks like a fine summer tire, but I wouldn't want them in snow.

4REAL! in snow I would prob get nowhere. Lol. But in GA its not too big of an issue. Lolz

B-Spec
June 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I have been running these on mine.. I am on my second set now.. I got them at Walmart for 99 bucks each on sale.. I think they are around 140 a tire or so..

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/69/76/62/09/0069766209488_500X500.jpg

SX4DUDE2013
June 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
YAY!!! :)
I talked to dad and he said he will wire me so dough tomorrow, hopefully. lolz
If that happens I will call 2morrow and get em ordered. They will then be installed next thursday :D
After the tires, my FINAL thing will be getting my trans flushed again. Then I should be set until I break something else :) hahaha

Here is the CORRECT picture:
http://s4.postimage.org/mz3g43maw/fs_fh_wideoval_indy500_1000.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Tire rack reviews gives em an 8.7 - they are the second best rated tire out of 162 results. The 162 results is the entire stock that Tire Rack carries of the size, 225/45/17 :) :)

vitus1978
June 17th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I got the Conti Extreme Contact DW.... love them
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=245YR8ECDW&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

SX4DUDE2013
June 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Order was placed :) 225/45R/17

They will be installed Thurs

EricDavis621
June 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Pirelli P4's...cost a little less than what you spent, but waaay more bite.

Don't get me wrong, the ones you picked up are sweet too.

Speedlvr
June 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Nice tread design. So if they handle as good as they look then you're set :cool:

I think I paid about that for my Sumitomo's. And I believe they have about the same ratings. You'll definitely notice the feeling over the stockers:thumb:

SX4DUDE2013
June 21st, 2011, 04:02 AM
Nice tread design. So if they handle as good as they look then you're set :cool:

I think I paid about that for my Sumitomo's. And I believe they have about the same ratings. You'll definitely notice the feeling over the stockers:thumb:

lolz. I hope so!! One KINDA negative thing is that they are directional tires so when they are rotated they have to go from front to back :( o well....

B-Spec
June 21st, 2011, 04:30 AM
lolz. I hope so!! One KINDA negative thing is that they are directional tires so when they are rotated they have to go from front to back :( o well....

You always rotate your tires front to back anyway.. I do tires at work and we are not allowed to rotate them any other way..

SX4DUDE2013
June 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
You always rotate your tires front to back anyway.. I do tires at work and we are not allowed to rotate them any other way..

o. Not allowed. I believe there are like 4 different ways to rotate. Tire Rack has a chart with explinations...Do you know about this tire since you deal with tires? lol

Speedlvr
June 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah tires are rotated from front to back but the stockers (according to the manu.)is diagonal, whereas the new ones will have to stay on the same side of the car.

SX4DUDE2013
June 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah tires are rotated from front to back but the stockers (according to the manu.)is diagonal, whereas the new ones will have to stay on the same side of the car.

Yessir :)
Pics will be up thurs night. I went a looked at the 225/45/17's that I ordered today. They look like pure SEX :)

redzuki
June 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
new tires tomorrow! can you stand it?!

SX4DUDE2013
June 22nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
new tires tomorrow! can you stand it?!

Yea. lolz. Im more excited about my new phone case than the tires. lol (This Otterbox has got to go) :P

Anyone know a good pressure to start with???

TRS
June 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Anyone know a good pressure to start with???

"Correct" tire inflation pressure is an immense gray area. Just try and find hard, fact-based answers as compared to opinion and repeating of these various opinions by others.

The number listed on your door jamb or sill is what the car manufacturer determined was the best compromise between fuel millage, ride comfort, performance, etc. for the intended market of that vehicle using the OE tire they fitted.

The very generic, safe answer to "What pressure should I run in my tires?" is "No lower that the vehicle manufacture's posted number and no higher than the max inflation pressure imprinted on the tire sidewall, based on your own preferences of ride comfort, handling, etc."

The problem arises when people replace with non OE tires. Different tire constructions, treads, load ratings, max inflation pressures, non-standard sizing, sidewall heights, etc. all come into play. And on top of that are any changes made to suspension components and what people are looking for from these tires and their car.

A rule of thumb that seems to work OK for me is to use a cold inflation pressure that is between 75% and 85% of the max inflation pressure on the sidewall as a starting point and then adjusting up or down a bit from there, without going below the vehicle manufacture's posted inflation pressure or above the max pressure.

With the stock Turanza EL400-02 (max 44 psi) this would be between 33 and 37 psi, and for the stock SP Sport 7000 A/S (51 psi) this comes out to 38 to 43 psi.

I did come across another rule of thumb:

In the event that you aren't able to find a recommendation for your car, or the tires on your car are so different from those that were originally fitted from the manufacturer as to be incomparable, we received the following rule of thumb from Oscar Pereda, an engineer for BFGoodrich. He calls it a "realistic starting point," saying it has never been just right, but is a good place to start.

The rule is: (Vehicle Weight in lb/100) + 2 psi at heavier end + 2 psi all around if suspension and alignment are stock.

Example: Stock 911, 3,000 lb.
(3000/100) = 30 psi
Add 2 psi all around = 32 psi
Add 2 psi to heavy end = 34 psi at rear
With modified suspension, the result is 30 psi front, 32 psi rear.

"There is no 'golden' tire pressure," Oscar said. The optimal setting depends on the individual driver and his preferences.

source: http://www.modified.com/tech/0208scc_tire_pressure_guide/index.html

SX4DUDE2013
June 23rd, 2011, 03:30 AM
"Correct" tire inflation pressure is an immense gray area. Just try and find hard, fact-based answers as compared to opinion and repeating of these various opinions by others.

The number listed on your door jamb or sill is what the car manufacturer determined was the best compromise between fuel millage, ride comfort, performance, etc. for the intended market of that vehicle using the OE tire they fitted.

The very generic, safe answer to "What pressure should I run in my tires?" is "No lower that the vehicle manufacture's posted number and no higher than the max inflation pressure imprinted on the tire sidewall, based on your own preferences of ride comfort, handling, etc."

The problem arises when people replace with non OE tires. Different tire constructions, treads, load ratings, max inflation pressures, non-standard sizing, sidewall heights, etc. all come into play. And on top of that are any changes made to suspension components and what people are looking for from these tires and their car.

A rule of thumb that seems to work OK for me is to use a cold inflation pressure that is between 75% and 85% of the max inflation pressure on the sidewall as a starting point and then adjusting up or down a bit from there, without going below the vehicle manufacture's posted inflation pressure or above the max pressure.

With the stock Turanza EL400-02 (max 44 psi) this would be between 33 and 37 psi, and for the stock SP Sport 7000 A/S (51 psi) this comes out to 38 to 43 psi.

I did come across another rule of thumb:

In the event that you aren't able to find a recommendation for your car, or the tires on your car are so different from those that were originally fitted from the manufacturer as to be incomparable, we received the following rule of thumb from Oscar Pereda, an engineer for BFGoodrich. He calls it a "realistic starting point," saying it has never been just right, but is a good place to start.

The rule is: (Vehicle Weight in lb/100) + 2 psi at heavier end + 2 psi all around if suspension and alignment are stock.

Example: Stock 911, 3,000 lb.
(3000/100) = 30 psi
Add 2 psi all around = 32 psi
Add 2 psi to heavy end = 34 psi at rear
With modified suspension, the result is 30 psi front, 32 psi rear.

"There is no 'golden' tire pressure," Oscar said. The optimal setting depends on the individual driver and his preferences.

source: http://www.modified.com/tech/0208scc_tire_pressure_guide/index.html

WOW! Great post! lol
THanks a lot!
I will try to do some more reading today at work. I run my dunlops at about 38 psi. Seemed to work well so far.
I just want the tire to sil flush with the road. For treadwear purposes....
The max is 50 PSI on these tires.....FYI :)

Aston martin sx4
June 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Proper alignment means 100X more than tire pressure for long tire life and contact patch.

SX4DUDE2013
June 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Proper alignment means 100X more than tire pressure for long tire life and contact patch.

I had an alignment done last week.
They will check again today after the install. If its off, it will get done tonight.
I think im gonna start at 36 psi.
They will also be rotated every 3,000 miles...

Aston martin sx4
June 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
If you're changing your tire size then your alignment needs to be redone.