PDA

View Full Version : AIR INTAKE - Thinking of returning back (K&N) and leave Simota - I need help.

ninotaire
May 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Hello friends,

After i put this:
http://i51.tinypic.com/14nioph.jpg

I'm thinking to put the stock cabin filter with internal K&N panel filter.

The feeling, only the feeling, after testing the Simota intake is that i need to put very often one low gear to make the car gain power.

IS OK that the air is more cold, i can see it with my OBD monitor, but the power, especially in ascend roads, i think that is minor and i have to put the fourth gear more than i thought.

It is only a feeling, but i need to confirm that this feeling is real, perhaps the K&N panel filter and the oem cabin filter made a good job.
I can't understand how the oem cabin filter is over the engine and the temperature is more high, and make a good job with less air and more hot, too.

Please, any can explain me if this is possible or is only my feeling ?
Thanks.

02C2
May 27th, 2011, 05:52 AM
If you're going for fuel economy, I say go back to a K&N drop in (especially if you do a lot of short, stop/go trips). If you do lots of highway driving, you can easily beat the K&N with an SRI. All in all, you have to be a LOT more diligent with a SRI to match/exceed fuel economy of a K&N.

I do smell what you're stepping in, having to downshift earlier. It's something you get used to. Still not as much of a difference in shifting as when I did my exhaust.

ninotaire
May 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
If you're going for fuel economy, I say go back to a K&N drop in (especially if you do a lot of short, stop/go trips). If you do lots of highway driving, you can easily beat the K&N with an SRI. All in all, you have to be a LOT more diligent with a SRI to match/exceed fuel economy of a K&N.

I do smell what you're stepping in, having to downshift earlier. It's something you get used to. Still not as much of a difference in shifting as when I did my exhaust.

Thanks 02C2,
One thing, about the exhaust. Are you saying that with the Simota SRI recommends to change the exhaust, too ??

I don't understand well the meaning of "i do smell what you're stepping in, having to downshift earlier." My english is very poor, i only understand the second part of the sentence. My apologies.

With the SRI is normal to downshift more often than with the K&N filter panel ??

Thanks, i want to learn more, and you are one of the best teachers.
I will be waiting any reply.

02C2
May 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Sorry, the "Smell what you're stepping in" is slang for "I know what you mean" I Just put an SRI on my car a couple weeks ago and I've notice the same thing about having to downshift earlier to get optimal power going up a hill. Before that, I had a K&N drop in.

As for cars, any forum would tell you, for best performance you do Intake (sri), header and exhaust. It's all about air flow. Intake to get more air into the engine for better combustion, and headers and exhaust to get the "waste" out.

There are a lot of Puerto Rican's on here who really know their stuff, and can probably explain things better than I can... in Spanish as well. It seems like they're the ones experimenting with the SX4's performance the most. Maiden is the expert in all things electrical (lighting, stereos etc...)

ninotaire
May 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Ok, i don't want to change headers and exhaust, because i don't like the sound that this combo will make.

I thought that with simota air intake i will gain more power, but i don't like to downshift every ascend road.
The first days i have the feeling that the simota was working very well, but now, i can see that I HAVE TO DOWNSHIFT TO HAVE POWER very often.

Now, i don't know if put the original filter cabin with the K&N panel, or use the simota, i don't know.
Thanks.

pecci
May 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
You may want to go back to the K&N, to be able to compare with the simota, again. It might help you to decide which one to stay with.

ninotaire
May 28th, 2011, 04:37 PM
You may want to go back to the K&N, to be able to compare with the simota, again. It might help you to decide which one to stay with.

Ok Pecci, i will test with the K&N panel in stock cabin filter, i think that the temperature will be a little more higher, but i can't understand why i had to downshift often with the Simota.

Thanks !! I will test, but i wanted any explanation to be sure that simota is better than stock cabin filter with k&n panel.
I will test.

ninotaire
June 1st, 2011, 02:17 PM
Anybody can tell me any advice ??
I don't know the best option.

ninotaire
June 15th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I return to OEM Intake and K&N panel filter, tomorrow i will test the results, but today, i don't think that K&N and oem cabin filter is better, in a short time test.

Is possible that Simota intake is better than stock cabin filter and K&N panel filter, i don't understand how is possible, but it is.
I thought that was my mind, but is possible that Simota is not bad at all and K&N and stock cabin filter is not better, i thought that my car with Simota is shift down very often, but now, with K&N and oem cabin filter, i think that is worst !!!

I'm mad !!!