PDA

View Full Version : Found sports suspension for a swift (can it be used?)

chief2001
May 26th, 2011, 02:24 AM
its for models ZC11S/21S/31S/71S These should fit in the SX4 no? Its lowered 20~30mm in the front and 10~20mm in the back. Company is Showa Tuning from Japan. I found used set and maybe someone would be interested in trying them out? Let me know. anyone interested its 65,000 yen for a used set.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s143/chief2001/suspension.jpg

Schultzey
May 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I think the Swift weighs about 2300 lbs compared to the AWD SX4 at about 2900 lbs. That seems like a lot of extra load to place on that suspension setup since it was not designed for it.

The mounting points appear to have the same design as the SX4 and should connect up. The sway bar link would possibly have to be modified. The suspension does look like it could be too small... though looks can be deceiving. Measurements would be best.

I don't know much about this suspension and I am making a bunch of assumptions based on the posted picture. But, 65,000 yen for a used set of what looks to have non-adjustable height and dampers is really steep if you ask me. There is the also the risk that it won't work and you would still have to pay shipping on top of that from Japan. Given the cost and research to be done it is far easier to purchase a suspension system that is designed for the SX4.

Good looking out on finding potential alternatives for our cars but I don't think this would be a good option.

kazam58
May 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM
If Schultzey is right about the weight difference between the Swift and the SX4, then I think it'd be near impossible to get these dampers to perform well on an SX4, even if they physically fit. Assuming you can easily change the spring rate to something stiffer, the damping would be completely off. The most likely scenario is that the system would be underdamped, causing the car to bounce around. If you could adjust the damping to get the system critically damped, it might be worth looking into, but I can't imagine that being easy. A set of Megans or D2's is only slightly more expensive (ignoring shipping from Japan) and they are adjustable.

It's a nice find...and it's Japanese :hi: but IMHO I don't believe it would be ideal for use on an SX4.

chief2001
May 26th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Well, its just another thing I try looking into. :) It is a sports suspension package so its not going to be adjustable. But this would be good for people who want a sportier ride without lowering too much and dealing with tuning the suspension. I`ll try sending a email if people have some interest if they would make some for the SX4.

Wolfe787
July 11th, 2011, 07:45 PM
my sedan came in @ 2,611 pounds last time i checked it. looks very similar to the sx4 by the way :)

chief2001
July 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Well, as usual. if someone has interest in the part and I have time. I can get said parts for you. :) Mind you, somethings require a lot of time though "bumpers" and cost a TON of money for shipping so yeah. lol