PDA

View Full Version : Kizashi SLS Review

May 14th, 2011, 06:21 AM
A nice write-up of the SLS, along with some rumination on Suzuki's chronically marginal footprint in the U.S. market. Suzuki's seeming lack of ambition here puzzles reviewers as much as the rest of us...

http://www.powerjuicer.com/press/images/masthead-twp.jpg
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport SLS: Low-profile Suzuki’s high-quality Kizashi

Warren Brown
May 13, 2011

I’ve been trying to figure out Suzuki Motor Corp. — an almost invisible automobile retailer in the United States.

How can a Japan-based company producing some of the best, most affordable passenger cars available have so little presence in the world’s most lucrative market for new vehicle sales?

How little?

American Suzuki, Suzuki’s U.S. sales arm, recently issued a news release saying that its total April 2011 sales were up 9 percent over its sales for the same month a year earlier. That seems admirable, until you look at the numbers — 2,132 Suzuki models sold in April 2011 vs. 1,950 in April 2010.

More (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2011/05/08/AFeosk2G_story.html)

Avalanche
May 16th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Saw one on the road yesterday. I was doing about 85 mph and the car just disappeared on the horizon :)

De Melo
May 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Got to remember suzuki isn't as dependent in the north american markets as toyota or honda. They are focusing more on growing markets like india, china and other asian countries let alone south america. Not sure if suzuki still owns 60 percent of the small car market in india but thats pretty good considering their investments in other countries. Gm has screwed them in the past in making bad business decisions in north america, its like whats the point with a over saturation of car manufactures. Remember daewoo swift for example ,Gm idea. I was told by inside sources that suzuki never really took a hit during the recession unlike honda or toyota globally.

May 19th, 2011, 04:07 AM
'Round these parts I see SX4s seldom, Kizashis never. I do see a lot of old Sidekicks and Vitaras, which shows that Suzuki can make a dent with the right product. Much as I like the current models, each is handicapped by this caveat or that, or lack of fresh presentation. The sparsity of dealers only compounds things.

My hope is that Suzuki will pick up the ball with its next-generation line-up: a SX4 that is MPG-competitive in its class; a Grand Vitara that is fresh and preferably renamed (Grand is cliché, Vitara sounds like a yoga position); a Kizashi that is either mid-sized or compact (not vaguely in-between) and is also renamed -- Kizashi sounds like an anime villain or tropical weather phenomenon. The Swift and Jimny, if ever brought in, would be the pièces de résistance. Add 100 dealers, create hip marketing that isn't pandering or cheesy, and I think Suzuki would be a brand to reckon with.

sunday
May 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM
the sx4 is not so uncompetitive in it's class.. in terms of Fuel efficiency, I easily get 6.7 lt/100 kms... on highway, wich is at a speed of 117km-h. If you estimate that fuel ratings on highway is at speeds a bit below 60mph, no wonder I could obtain the 6.1 mark WITH unleaded - regular- non ethanol mixed fuel...

May 19th, 2011, 07:07 AM
^ Econo-minded Americans shop EPA ratings, alas. The SX4 sedan posts an average 26 MPG, while the Fit, Fiesta, Corolla and Civic are in the 30s. If EPA's numbers for the SX4 are conservative, it reasons that they are for Brand X as well.