PDA

View Full Version : Subaru's answer to the SX4 is coming...?

Avalanche
April 20th, 2011, 12:12 AM
http://www.autoinfo.pl/sites/www.autoinfo.pl/files/imagecache/gallery_620/190411sub_0.jpg
Looks pretty much like it's in the same shopping alley.

Brumbie13
April 20th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'd hit it.
Let's see what the end product looks like.

Balansero
April 20th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Too late. I've already got SX4. :)

rovert97
April 20th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Looks like the love child of a Pontiac vibe and a ford fiesta. No thanks

SX604
April 20th, 2011, 06:52 AM
AWD Matrix?
Well, Subaru is a Toyota.

Too long anyways.

punksmurph
April 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I thought Subaru's answer to the SX4 was the Impreza Outback? I could be wrong.

markolson
April 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I do like the color - they are going to extreme shades - throwback to muscle car days when Plum Crazy, Top Banana and Sassy Grass Green were popular. Kia was the first I believe with the Soul in wild colors.

On style, let's face it, all new cars look too much alike!

punksmurph
April 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I wish more cars had the crazy color options, I love the fact that there is a great variety with the Soul (even the though it is not an impressive car mechanically). The ford Focus and Fiesta also have some great color choices and I think that you will see more small cars in wild colors as that becomes a bigger market.

Wyliec
April 20th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I think it looks pretty cool, as long as the real deal looks anything like the artists rendering.

rubicon4wheeler
April 20th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I really like it! The Outback has gotten too big and too expensive. The Outback Sport is ugly as sin and has way too little ground clearance.
As it sits, this concept is exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for. If Subaru can promise me it'll have a low-range transfer case, I will put down a deposit TODAY.

02C2
April 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM
If Subaru can promise me it'll have a low-range transfer case, I will put down a deposit TODAY.
So what you're saying is Subaru will not be getting your money :hi:

Avalanche
April 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Punksmurph, you're right. The concept is based on the Impreza Outback.

rubicon4wheeler
April 20th, 2011, 02:06 PM
So what you're saying is Subaru will not be getting your money :hi:
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Most car manufacturers these days produce vehicles with form preceding function. They make crossovers and SUVs look off-road capable, but which leave you broken down or stuck once you actually take them out in the backcountry. You used to be able to buy a Bronco, Scout, Wagoneer, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Samurai, Patrol, Blazer, Ramcharger, TrailDuster, and any number of other off-road capable vehicles. Heck, even Subaru's had low-range gearing and Audi Quattro's had differential locks! Nowadays, just about the only truly off-road capable vehicles you can buy in America are the Rubicon, the Raptor, and the PowerWagon.

Subaru has a chance to make a unique and very popular vehicle if they can produce an Impreza Outback Sport or Forester that has 10 inches of ground clearance, a decent low-range transfer case, and front/center/rear difflocks. If Suzuki won't sell us a Samurai and if Jeep won't put a turbodiesel in the Wrangler, then Subaru would have the only fuel-efficient backcountry-worthy vehicle for sale here!

Don't get me wrong, the SX4 does fine once you buy and install the Rocky Road Outfitters lift kit and some decent tires and skidplates, but it still doesn't offer decent off-road gearing or a proper set of differential locks. Subaru could very easily make their existing linup so much better if they simply offered an upgrade package with some more function-oriented equipment. After all, sunroofs and heated leather seats don't do a damn thing for you when you're using your Outback in the Outback. :(

Vincine
April 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I thought Subaru's answer to the SX4 was the Impreza Outback? I could be wrong.If anything the SX4 was Suzuki's answer to the Impreza.

Subaru walked away from the market and gave Suzuki the opportunity to take the money left on the table. I expect Subaru got an ear full from the dealers who got tired of seeing all these people zipping around the snow belt in new SX4s instead of $ubaru wheel$.

02C2
April 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Most car manufacturers these days produce vehicles with form preceding function. They make crossovers and SUVs look off-road capable, but which leave you broken down or stuck once you actually take them out in the backcountry. You used to be able to buy a Bronco, Scout, Wagoneer, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Samurai, Patrol, Blazer, Ramcharger, TrailDuster, and any number of other off-road capable vehicles. Heck, even Subaru's had low-range gearing and Audi Quattro's had differential locks! Nowadays, just about the only truly off-road capable vehicles you can buy in America are the Rubicon, the Raptor, and the PowerWagon.

Subaru has a chance to make a unique and very popular vehicle if they can produce an Impreza Outback Sport or Forester that has 10 inches of ground clearance, a decent low-range transfer case, and front/center/rear difflocks. If Suzuki won't sell us a Samurai and if Jeep won't put a turbodiesel in the Wrangler, then Subaru would have the only fuel-efficient backcountry-worthy vehicle for sale here!

Don't get me wrong, the SX4 does fine once you buy and install the Rocky Road Outfitters lift kit and some decent tires and skidplates, but it still doesn't offer decent off-road gearing or a proper set of differential locks. Subaru could very easily make their existing linup so much better if they simply offered an upgrade package with some more function-oriented equipment. After all, sunroofs and heated leather seats don't do a damn thing for you when you're using your Outback in the Outback. :(

Ya, but that's not what the blue haired ladies I see driving subaru's want. I'd love to see the % of subaru's that have seen more off roading than a large mud puddle. Probably similar to the stats you have here with the SX4 being off road. I know mine's barely seen a dirt road... I really should do something about that.

GSX4
April 20th, 2011, 03:03 PM
We already have it in Australia its called impreza rv it look okay and it sits high off the ground un like the impreza re

Wyliec
April 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Try this with a new Subaru! http://youtu.be/k34UBlL0xFA and this http://youtu.be/eUgJPNPtC9E Or any new awd SUV or CUV for that matter! Makes me miss my old lifted 86 wagon.

rubicon4wheeler
April 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ya, but that's not what the blue haired ladies I see driving subaru's want. I'd love to see the % of subaru's that have seen more off roading than a large mud puddle. Probably similar to the stats you have here with the SX4 being off road. I know mine's barely seen a dirt road... I really should do something about that.
Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but out here in the West the Outbacks and Foresters are very popular for the "active lifestyle" 20-50 year old demographic who specifically buy Subarus as a fuel efficient alternative to traditional SUVs and Crossovers to get them over the snowy mountains and deep into the desert backcountry. Many of the places I take my lifted SX4 are also frequented by Subarus, but I'm always able to go further than they can because of my superior ground clearance, shorter wheelbase, and skidplating. They're usually very intrigued by my SX4 and jealous of its superior off-road capability. They tend to look at the SX4 as a modern-day equivalent of the 1986 Subaru wagon that Wyliec mentioned - something that Subaru doesn't sell here anymore.

The Outback is a genuine upgrade over the standard Legacy, but the Outback Sport has never been anything more than a cosmetic package - there's no real improvement over the standard Impreza. The Forester used to fill that void, but the current-generation one has unfortunately grown tremendously over its predecessor.

At least the new Impreza (and presumably, the new Outback Sport aka XV) will be available with a proper manual transmission.

02C2
April 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but out here in the West the Outbacks and Foresters are very popular for the "active lifestyle" 20-50 year old demographic who specifically buy Subarus as a fuel efficient alternative to traditional SUVs and Crossovers to get them over the snowy mountains and deep into the desert backcountry. Many of the places I take my lifted SX4 are also frequented by Subarus, but I'm always able to go further than they can because of my superior ground clearance, shorter wheelbase, and skidplating. They're usually very intrigued by my SX4 and jealous of its superior off-road capability. They tend to look at the SX4 as a modern-day equivalent of the 1986 Subaru wagon that Wyliec mentioned - something that Subaru doesn't sell here anymore.

The Outback is a genuine upgrade over the standard Legacy, but the Outback Sport has never been anything more than a cosmetic package - there's no real improvement over the standard Impreza. The Forester used to fill that void, but the current-generation one has unfortunately grown tremendously over its predecessor.

At least the new Impreza (and presumably, the new Outback Sport aka XV) will be available with a proper manual transmission.

I lived on Cape Cod too long... Outback = angry lesbian.

rubicon4wheeler
April 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I lived on Cape Cod too long... Outback = angry lesbian.

Out here, this is your typical Subaru driver:

http://www.morganlommele.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/4328067418_b0babcb673_b.jpg

anibalrx8
April 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
http://www.autoinfo.pl/sites/www.autoinfo.pl/files/imagecache/gallery_620/190411sub_0.jpg
Looks pretty much like it's in the same shopping alley.

It looks very nice!!!

anibalrx8
April 20th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Looks like the love child of a Pontiac vibe and a ford fiesta. No thanks

It looks like the Sx4 to me!!!

anibalrx8
April 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
AWD Matrix?
Well, Subaru is a Toyota.

Too long anyways.

Subaru is not toyota, and Toyota is not Subaru!
Thats like saying Mazda is ford or Ford is Mazda!
They may use the same part, but there not the same!!!

markolson
April 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Sorry, many Mazda's have been Fords and Vice Versa. The Mazda B-Series pickup and Ford Ranger - same vehicle. The Ford Escape and the Mazda Tribute same vehicle. I would guess the Fiesta and the Mazda 2 share a lot of parts at the bottom end.

B-Spec
April 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
You can't compare a Subaru to an SX4 no matter how much they look the same.. Subaru's AWD is far superior to Suzuki's.. They are totally different beasts..

02C2
April 21st, 2011, 06:25 AM
You can't compare a Subaru to an SX4 no matter how much they look the same.. Subaru's AWD is far superior to Suzuki's.. They are totally different beasts..

You're always pimping the greatness of Subaru, why do you have a SX4?

rubicon4wheeler
April 21st, 2011, 10:08 AM
Subaru has several different AWD systems. In some circumstances, the Subaru's system(s) can perform better than the SX4's. Similarly, in some circumstances the SX4's AWD system is superior.

The SX4's is the only system that can be switched off, to allow for a "front dig". I've used this technique numerous times on tight trails to swing the front-end around. The SX4's system is also the only one that's selectable from "passive" or "reactive" mode (the AUTO setting) to an "active" or "preemptive" mode (the LOCK setting). And a fully-loaded SX4's optional ESP system is available for thousands and thousands of dollars less than the comparable VDC system on top-end Subaru models.

The SX4 provides Subaru performance at Kia pricing - and it's still a very well-built car. What's not to like? :hi:

Avalanche
April 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM
The rest is silence. :)

punksmurph
April 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
The SX4 provides Subaru performance at Kia pricing - and it's still a very well-built car. What's not to like? :hi:

Speaking of Kia's, have you seen the Sportage turbo AWD? I drove that thing and it is smooth, it has good pickup, not like my Ralliart but it is still gets going at a good speed.

kbeefy
April 24th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Never thought of dig w/ the fwd sx4. With a little ebrake I suppose it'd work as advertised.

Heres a pic of my buddies outback.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/inkpreza/offroading031.jpg

rubicon4wheeler
April 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I love your buddy's Outback Sport! I wasn't aware of anyone making a suspension lift for the Impreza platform that provided that much clearance! Can you share anymore details on his Sport? I LOVE to learn more!

And yes, front digs with the SX4 in FWD mode with the e-brake pulled are easy and quite effective.

Jack Straw
April 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
S
The SX4's is the only system that can be switched off, to allow for a "front dig". I've used this technique numerous times on tight trails to swing the front-end around. The SX4's system is also the only one that's selectable from "passive" or "reactive" mode (the AUTO setting) to an "active" or "preemptive" mode (the LOCK setting).

What about the sti?
Never driven one, but I sat in one (and started it OOOooohh!) and asked the salesman to explain the C.DIFF lever. Apparently it's for portioning torque between front and back diffs.
Normal ("auto") is somewhere around 50/50, and changes depending on grip levels. You can do Auto+ and Auto- (varies but leans towards front or rear more) or about 4-5 locked levels inbetween, from (IIRC) 50/50 to 10/90 F/R.

Ever tried it? granted the STI is ~$40K ... ouch... but also 3 settings three settings - Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp. (I/S/S#) Press the knob for I mode. I is less horsepower and very docile response - well, still a fast car but easy to drive. S is all the horsepower but a reasonably tame response. S# is like the only mode on the earlier STIs - full power, aggressive response, etc.

Wish the SX4's had SOMETHING like that to get rid of the throttle lag.
Course, I wish I still had my SX4, natch.

B-Spec
April 25th, 2011, 06:21 PM
You're always pimping the greatness of Subaru, why do you have a SX4?

Because I love the SX4.. Its a great car.. Just because I like Subaru's doesn't mean I don't like the SX4.. LOL! I worked for Subaru for many many years and know those cars inside and out.. Built many turbo Subaru's .. :)

kbeefy
April 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I love your buddy's Outback Sport! I wasn't aware of anyone making a suspension lift for the Impreza platform that provided that much clearance! Can you share anymore details on his Sport? I LOVE to learn more!

And yes, front digs with the SX4 in FWD mode with the e-brake pulled are easy and quite effective.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1954418

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32739876&postcount=1599

05 Forester stuts and springs
Subtle Solutions 1" spacers
OBX Adjustable trailing arms
15 x 7 Team Dynamics +45
215/75/15 BFG Mud Terrains

rubicon4wheeler
April 29th, 2011, 09:49 AM
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1954418

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32739876&postcount=1599

That is quite possibly the coolest Subaru ever!
I'd be a bit concerned that the suspension has no downtravel left, though. And those CV axles may be hating the angle at which they're operating now.

Those pics make me want to put some mud-terrain tires on my SX4 once I burn through these all-terrains! :hi:

kbeefy
April 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I have another friend with forester stuff on his impreza, he says he goes through cvs about every year. He gets the lifetime warranty ones from napa and is peretty good at swapping them.
The next step is drop brackets for the suspension mounts to regain some down travel, though I doubt either of them will go that far. There's lots of info in dirtyimpreza.com and usmb.com.

rubicon4wheeler
April 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I have another friend with forester stuff on his impreza, he says he goes through cvs about every year. He gets the lifetime warranty ones from napa and is peretty good at swapping them.
The next step is drop brackets for the suspension mounts to regain some down travel, though I doubt either of them will go that far. There's lots of info in dirtyimpreza.com and usmb.com.

That's why I'm thankful that RRO's lift for the SX4 is modest. I don't think anyone has had any CV issues yet. Mine's certainly not complained about the increased height - in fact, I still contend that this is exactly how the "crossover" version of the car should come from the factory. The FWD version should be at the regular height, and the Sportback should be lowered.

Balansero
April 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I still contend that this is exactly how the "crossover" version of the car should come from the factory.

I second that! (+1 doesn't work anymore :))

Jack Straw
May 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Respond to me rubicon

i want to talk about cars i will never afford and respect your opinion

Jack Straw
May 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
that was intended to be all caps but this new, DUDE-proof forum edited it

rubicon4wheeler
May 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Respond to me rubicon

i want to talk about cars i will never afford and respect your opinion

Consider this an official response. :hi:
Which cars would you like to discuss today?

Jack Straw
May 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM
How do you feel about the sti's AWD system? It's drastically different than most of the other scoobs.

rubicon4wheeler
May 10th, 2011, 08:02 PM
How do you feel about the sti's AWD system? It's drastically different than most of the other scoobs.
I have mighty respect for the STi's AWD. The only AWD systems that are superior are the Mitsubishi Evolution's, Toyota's ATRAC with the rear differential locker, and the front AND rear diff locks in the Jeep Rubicon and Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen.

punksmurph
May 11th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I have mighty respect for the STi's AWD. The only AWD systems that are superior are the Mitsubishi Evolution's, Toyota's ATRAC with the rear differential locker, and the front AND rear diff locks in the Jeep Rubicon and Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen.

A great thing about owning a Ralliart is having the EVO transmission and AWD set up. There are turns in business district around Irvine were large companies have gone out and the roads are open, it is power slide heaven.

rubicon4wheeler
May 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
A great thing about owning a Ralliart is having the EVO transmission and AWD set up. There are turns in business district around Irvine were large companies have gone out and the roads are open, it is power slide heaven.

I wasn't aware that the Ralliart has the full Evolution AWD system. The only transmission I'm interested in is a true 3-pedal manual transmission. I'm sick and tired of torque converter automatics, CVT automatics, and single/dual clutch automated manuals. Just like I don't need training wheels to keep my bike upright, I don't need computers or valves shifting for me.

punksmurph
May 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I wasn't aware that the Ralliart has the full Evolution AWD system. The only transmission I'm interested in is a true 3-pedal manual transmission. I'm sick and tired of torque converter automatics, CVT automatics, and single/dual clutch automated manuals. Just like I don't need training wheels to keep my bike upright, I don't need computers or valves shifting for me.

I spend most of my time in manual mode using the shifter to move gears, when I am on busy surface roads or in freeway traffic I let the car do its thing. The Ralliart has the same front and rear diffs as the Evo X and it moves power across the wheels the same way, it is just not as aggressive as the Evo X and I don't have Super Sport mode. I can still switch between Tarmac, Gravel and Snow settings with the AWC button, I just don't get SAWC control. Think of the Ralliart as Evo Light.

whitelightning777
February 21st, 2012, 11:18 PM
The Subaru has a more complex AWD. That doesn't make it better. My Dad's Legacy would eat tires every 2 years no matter how often they were rotated. You need AWD in low traction conditions, not dry pavement. Suzuki is right. Turn it off on sunny days. SX4s rule. Still you could do a lot worse then Subaru.

B-Spec
February 22nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
The Subaru has a more complex AWD. That doesn't make it better. My Dad's Legacy would eat tires every 2 years no matter how often they were rotated. You need AWD in low traction conditions, not dry pavement. Suzuki is right. Turn it off on sunny days. SX4s rule. Still you could do a lot worse then Subaru.

:facepalm:

AdR
February 22nd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Was yesterday the National Thread Revival day? :P