PDA

View Full Version : window tint questions

parkesburgsx4
April 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
We're thinking about getting the windows tinted on the SX4 to keep the interior heat down. Are there any pertinent pros/ cons to having it done. Also how do you clean them after they're tinted. I'm going to have it done professionally.

jr40490
April 13th, 2011, 11:39 AM
pros....its cooler inside the car, the car looks better IMHO, people can't see you(depends on the %)

cons.... cops and visibility at night is less but not by the much unless you go 20% or less

outside with whatever you want...inside with any window cleaner that is AMONIA free, because amonia will destroy your tints making them look purple overtime

kazam58
April 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I've been thinking of tinting my rear windows, partially due to the heat (my car is black, it's awful under the sun) but also because it looks better. In most states it's illegal to tint the front windows, be it the windshield or the two on the side, mostly so that your vision isn't restricted and so that the police can see inside the car. If you only do the back windows it won't attract any attention, as many cars have the rear windows tinted from the factory. Also, get one of those sunshades for the windshield when your car is sitting in a parking lot, it helps keep the heat down a little and prevents the sun from damaging the interior of your car.

Schultzey
April 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Depending on how dark of a tint you have another pro is that it is a theft deterrent. A valuable item is less likely to be stolen if it is not seen.

02C2
April 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Depending on the state, depends on the laws, as well as inspections too. I know in DE, front windows are illegal and you will fail an inspection unless you take it off right there. In PA you won't fail an inspection, but a cop will cite you. Majority of states, SUV's and Minivans it's legal to have any % on the rear windows back. Unless you attract police, they'll probably won't hassle you for tint unless they're already writing a ticket.

Cleaning someone said the right answer already, I personally use the baby shampoo/water mix that i used to install on.

The precut ebay tint isn't bad, and is fairly easy to do with an extra set of hands, though you WILL need a heatgun for the back (messed up the rear on mine, so it's clear on mine).

I did 35% for mine, I enjoy it... kinda want to do my wife's car. It takes maybe like 2 days to get used to driving at night with that percentage of tint.

redzuki
April 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM
in IL, they recently lifted the tint law.... however, chicago (otherwise known as "Daley's Republic of Chicago") has a tint law that they enforce; even though you cannot find the law anywhere to read it in order to comply. the cops have no "tintometers", they just "guess" if it is too dark. if they feel it is too dark, they will issue a $250 ticket. also to make matters worse, apparently they will ticket you even if your car is registered outside of the city. unreal. big money maker for them i imagine.

i am in the process of trying to figure out what i can safely do without attracting unneeded attention when i drive into the city.

i wish i never had to drive in there, but alas, there is a lot there i like to do.

Speedlvr
April 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Alot of answers are already here. Check local laws(if you don't want to chance getting a ticket), 3M professionally installed offers a lifetime warranty(no peeling,cracking,fading,etc.) We have 35% on the front(passenger and driver, and 20% everywhere else. Nighttime driving didn't change much IMO. Well worth the money though.

02C2
April 14th, 2011, 04:34 AM
in IL, they recently lifted the tint law.... however, chicago (otherwise known as "Daley's Republic of Chicago") has a tint law that they enforce; even though you cannot find the law anywhere to read it in order to comply. the cops have no "tintometers", they just "guess" if it is too dark. if they feel it is too dark, they will issue a $250 ticket. also to make matters worse, apparently they will ticket you even if your car is registered outside of the city. unreal. big money maker for them i imagine.

i am in the process of trying to figure out what i can safely do without attracting unneeded attention when i drive into the city.

i wish i never had to drive in there, but alas, there is a lot there i like to do.

That's the trick, it's usually a very vague law if you could find one on the books, and usually up to the whims of the officer.

The Shadow
April 14th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Every question about tinting, washing windows, etc., can all be answered by a professional tint installer.
Also, ask around town for a respected installer.
I found one that is very well respected and does a lot of tinting for the local car dealers. They are a
second generation company. (been in business a long time)
I just asked them to give me the darkest tint that is LEGAL. (the best shops use only 3M film)
If you live anywhere that the sun shines, you'll love having your windows tinted.
It not only makes your car COOL, it looks cool too.
While I was there they also installed the 1/4" wide red stripe that I have running around my car for only $10 extra.
My tint is over a year and a half old and not one bubble and NO peeling.

I'm sure glad I don't have to drive into Chicago anymore! (since I moved from Ill. to FL.)

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

parkesburgsx4
April 14th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I want to make sure it's 100% legal so I'll tell the installer to make sure I'm ok in that respect.