PDA

View Full Version : 200 Hp ? on stock engine

sokol
April 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm just looking into pushing close to about 200 horse without doing any major mods to the internals of the engine. Hoping to squeeze about another 50 horses out of the factory rating of 150. I'm hoping these few mods would make the car a bit more of a beast.

Exhaust 2.25 cat back
SRI
ECU piggy
ground wires
U/D Pulley

just wondering if that would bump it up to around 50 more. If there any other mods that would do it without shaving weight ? Also looking if a Cold air is possible on the 2010

jr40490
April 12th, 2011, 11:10 PM
if you are talking about 200 at the crank it is doable...at the wheels hell no

punksmurph
April 12th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Unfortunately there is not a lot to gain on the engine with NA mods, the 2010 could get above 150 at the wheels so around 185-190 at the crank, but unless you upped compression and got headers in the mix I don't think you could get 200.

carcrazy003
April 12th, 2011, 11:11 PM
pretty sure you wont be able to get 50hp with these mods, might be able to push about 20-25hp with these mods, with headers and intake manifold you might be able to get closer, but RRM is the only company I know that makes a header and i dont know of any company that makes a Throttle body or intake manifold.

ninotaire
April 13th, 2011, 05:35 AM
200 HP not, but better response in medium and high RPM for sure.
Civic Type-R has 200 HP with NA engine, but is important to say that this car has a lot of torque because it can fly over 8.500 RPM !!! I think that is one of the better 2.0 liter NA engine, with the Honda S2000.

My before impreza had 2.0 NA Boxer Engine, but the weight and the AWD is a big lack.

If worth the money, you can try.

B-Spec
April 13th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm just looking into pushing close to about 200 horse without doing any major mods to the internals of the engine. Hoping to squeeze about another 50 horses out of the factory rating of 150. I'm hoping these few mods would make the car a bit more of a beast.

Exhaust 2.25 cat back
SRI
ECU piggy
ground wires
U/D Pulley

just wondering if that would bump it up to around 50 more. If there any other mods that would do it without shaving weight ? Also looking if a Cold air is possible on the 2010

I would agree with the rest and say about 20 HP gain with those mods max... It will drive a lot smoother though and be a ton more responsive..

sunday
April 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM
@ninotaire... With mods, a K20A can be a f20c killer because of the VTC feature. I've seen few s2ks with k series engine swap in them. on the rollers, with mods, they pull a lot more below 6000 rpms than the s2k's original engine.

An intake manifold " la" skunk2 would be a nice upgrade if it would ve exist. If your car is a 2010, To get 50 crank hp, it is needed that you have more than the RRM piggy and the list above... But, if you can delete the secondary CAT ( if you don't have smog inspections), and simulate the secondary o2 sensor... I think there is quite few good horses to get at this point with a 2.25 exh. line.

All listed above, I don't think you can get near 20-30 crank hp gain... Maybe a good dyno session to see fuel mapping on with piggy and how the engine respond better with or without premium gaz...

Brumbie13
April 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Keep in mind, when these cars dyno, they usually dyno stock at around 98whp.
With all the NA mods available, they might dyno at around 110whp.

(AWD Numbers)

omsin
April 13th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I am looking to get 130 to 140 hp with NA Mods in my M16A......

I saw a post in the other forum about a dyno run of a stock 2009 model and it was only 110hp to the Wheels with the J20A engine. Maybe the J20B will have close to 120hp ATW... It will not be easy to get 80hp with simple NA mods...

punksmurph
April 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM

(AWD Numbers)

I know at my peak with all the mods listed, headers and exhaust I was at 128 HP at the wheels on my 2007 SX4 automatic.

Wyliec
April 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Our engines are a lot like the good old 8V VW's. Even with every bolt-on available, and a cam, you'd be hard pressed to make impressive numbers with them. 120-130hp atw was all you were going to get from a built 2.0 8V. But, it was still an improvement, and made the old GTI's and Jetta's a lot of fun to drive. I would just go for the mods you have listed, and wouldn't really worry about how much actual hp it's making. If it perks it up and makes it more enjoyable and fun to drive then the mods have done their job. You could easily turn the SRI into a true CAI quite easily, just add the appropriate coupler and another length of pipe to get the filter to where you want to pick up the cooler air. I might screw around with that idea myself and see how much difference it makes.

Schultzey
April 13th, 2011, 11:16 AM

(AWD Numbers)

I know at my peak with all the mods listed, headers and exhaust I was at 128 HP at the wheels on my 2007 SX4 automatic.

The type/brand of dyno used will significantly change the value of HP you see. Some are more accurate than others.

@punksmurph - I take it you dyno tested at RRM on the same dyno they ran a baseline test (http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/images/SuzukiDynoRRM.jpg) from? If so your gain was ~29 whp.

punksmurph
April 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM
The type/brand of dyno used will significantly change the value of HP you see. Some are more accurate than others.

@punksmurph - I take it you dyno tested at RRM on the same dyno they ran a baseline test (http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/images/SuzukiDynoRRM.jpg) from? If so your gain was ~29 whp.

Correct, all my dyno numbers are from that dyno so it gives a good comparison to how parts made power. Also note that there was more loss in the automatic transmission than the manual and the baseline was done with a 5 speed manual. I think mine was 92-95HP for baseline so I had a gain of a little over 30HP.

sunday
April 13th, 2011, 01:17 PM
But, auto transmission has at least 5% or more drivetrain losses than manual trans..

kazam58
April 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Correct, all my dyno numbers are from that dyno so it gives a good comparison to how parts made power. Also note that there was more loss in the automatic transmission than the manual and the baseline was done with a 5 speed manual. I think mine was 92-95HP for baseline so I had a gain of a little over 30HP.

30 hp over stock? That's about a 20% increase, which is pretty damn big. What did you upgrade? I can't imagine all those gains being from a header, exhaust, intake, and piggy...or were they?

Schultzey
April 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Great thanks for clarifying that. So you were losing about 34-36% of your power through the drivetrain with an automatic. This was on a J20A engine but I doubt the J20B will respond much differently to these parts.

sokol
April 13th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm looking at about 200 at the crank But something to make the car a bit more fun. I may consider a rear sway bar now I regret I sold my old one :(

punksmurph
April 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM
30 hp over stock? That's about a 20% increase, which is pretty damn big. What did you upgrade? I can't imagine all those gains being from a header, exhaust, intake, and piggy...or were they?

Intake, header, exhaust, piggy, and UD Pulley all tuned at RRM. The key is getting it all tuned together, that is where the big gain is.

punksmurph
April 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Intake, header, exhaust, piggy, and UD Pulley all tuned at RRM. The key is getting it all tuned together, that is where the big gain is.

kazam58
April 14th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Yep, that would be the difference. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near RRM so getting them to tune my car would would be quite difficult. It's nice to know that these mods can create such significant gains however. The future looks promising :hi:

Benster
April 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
i have no doubt if you add the header and a high flow second cat to your list that you can get to around 190hp very easily. not at the wheels, but the OP never said anything about whp. for having tried the CAI, piggy and pulley combo, it adds a lot of fun driving this car, probably 20 hp. with a good free-flow exhaust and the header(and a re-tune from the piggy) im pretty sure you can get very close to 200hp without changing the intake or opening the engine. not 200 but definitely at least 180 to 190. this engine has a lot of potential left on the table as we can see with the piggy. just a fuel trim change that adds 10-15hp is very impressive in showing how much suzuki made that car run rich to keep it running and try to save the engines as much as possible.

sokol
April 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Not sure how good the new pulley will work I like that it is same size as stock so I won't need another belt but a smaller pulley would be a little better than the a lighter one the same size no ?

I'm just wondering what else I could do I. I don't want to do any heavy modding because of warranty issues.

sunday
April 18th, 2011, 05:46 AM
@Benster, why it's rich? Because it is at least 10.2:1 compression ratio with regular fuel is mostly... the only way to do it... No one just ever did only a dyno run of the car with 87 octane to 91 ... As for example, on a k20a3 ( civic SI-r 2002), it dynoed a very nice 5 hp... just for upgrading fuel.

punksmurph
April 18th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Not sure how good the new pulley will work I like that it is same size as stock so I won't need another belt but a smaller pulley would be a little better than the a lighter one the same size no ?

I'm just wondering what else I could do I. I don't want to do any heavy modding because of warranty issues.

The pulley RRM has for the 2010 SX4 is lighter without having to reduce the size, this is a more popular way to go these days, it is still very light.

sokol
April 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM
thanks Sean your input is appreciated. :)

JDMdrew
April 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Coming from honda where 200hp N/A is possible but with some kind of internal mods. I dont see 200 out of the motor with just bolt ons. Just throw on a 75 shot and call it a day

sunday
April 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Well, JDM, with a k20a3, it's almost impossible... But to make our 2 banger do 150 whp, I don't know, we don't know even how much power a j20b puts to the road...

Wolfe787
April 21st, 2011, 06:30 PM
well lets see, I have a 08 that started its life stock @ 111whp

after: intake, header, exhaust, piggyback, tune i got 130whp, i bet i can get another 5 with tune and pulley, maybe 7 in a good cold night.... so we are talking about maybe 35whp after all the mods.... with some agressive cams I might see the 200 whp on the new engine

but reality is.... keep it stock and buy a cheap old honda :) you can get away with having 110whp

Wolfe787
April 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
oh and didnt notice the engine discussion... intake, header, stock exhaust, hondata on a K20 and you have 205 whp on 98degree 75% humidity thats quite a bit to the crank ;)