PDA

View Full Version : Swift News..

B-Spec
March 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
You guys seen these articles yet?? I have not so sorry if it is a repost..

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spied/10q2/2012_suzuki_swift-spied

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q3/2011_suzuki_swift-auto_shows

STICKSandROAD
March 6th, 2011, 03:29 PM
!
!
!

Niiiiice!

socarboy99
March 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Like I said earlier, the Swift may reach the shores of the USA before the end of 2011.

redzuki
March 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
the suzuki facebook page posed the question of what trim people would want on their swift... i'd say that's a big clue.
:)

B-Spec
March 6th, 2011, 07:51 PM
the suzuki facebook page posed the question of what trim people would want on their swift... i'd say that's a big clue.
:)

I didn't even know that page existed on Facebook.. Thanks for the heads up..

punksmurph
March 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM
The articles are from April and August 2010, but Suzuki has been kicking up the Swift noise for a while now.

socarboy99
March 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I didn't even know that page existed on Facebook.. Thanks for the heads up..

This has been well posted in this section the last couple of months, as well as the poll about the Swift on March 4th.

sunday
March 7th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I particularly like this portion of C/D's text:

If this next-gen car is anywhere near as fun to drive as the current SX4, which uses a stretched version of the current Swift platform, we’d welcome it with open arms.

Thirty-Nine
March 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Although as Smurph pointed out, those are old articles. But I, too, noticed Suzuki using the Swift S Concept as its Facebook icon, along with the Swift postings. I hope it happens. It needs to happen. We've had five months of increased sales, which is good; hopefully they'll release it soon as gas prices start to creep up.

markolson
March 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I was looking something else up and found this - the Government has rated a Swift for 2011 for gas mileage.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Suzuki2011.shtml

Way down at the bottom of that page.

They must plan on bringing at least one version of manual and auto sometime soon or would not have the government rate them. That is needed for the sticker.

sunday
March 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM
this, I think, is for the daewoo, chevy aveo - suzuki swift +, in this case, are not built by suzuki.

The Jesuit
March 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I was reading the specs for the 2011 Swift's sold in Latin America and Mexico regarding fuel mileage, pollution controls, bumper safety, etc., and they are identical to what would be legal in the US. What does that tell you?

punksmurph
March 8th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I was reading the specs for the 2011 Swift's sold in Latin America and Mexico regarding fuel mileage, pollution controls, bumper safety, etc., and they are identical to what would be legal in the US. What does that tell you?

The new gen Swift was designed with the US in mind when they started work on it.

rubicon4wheeler
March 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
The new gen Swift was designed with the US in mind when they started work on it.

Now if they would just do that with the Jimny/Samurai!!!

Avalanche
March 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I bet the next gen Jimny will reach US shores when the time comes.

The Jesuit
March 9th, 2011, 03:10 AM

Exactly...it doesn't make economic sense to have different versions for each country in Latin America, when Suzuki could just build all vehicles destined for North America using US standards that are the strictest in the world, in effect, making any new car sold in America easily exported elsewhere. Now, the bigger question is, since a new 2011 Swift sells for $15000 in Mexico, why not just buy one there and bring it back to the US? It will not need any modifications to bring it up to legal "speed", and other then Suzuki perhaps not honoring the warranty here, I don't see much of a problem.

Avalanche
March 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
...using US standards that are the strictest in the world
You mean safety, quality or emissions?
As for the last one I could agree, but I cannot figure out how such things as the 1999 Pontiac Trans Sport were allowed on the roads (one of the lowest ever scores in ENCAP crash tests for MPVs) or why lots of Dodges and Chryslers sold in EU are much below European quality standards :|

The Jesuit
March 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
You mean safety, quality or emissions?
As for the last one I could agree, but I cannot figure out how such things as the 1999 Pontiac Trans Sport were allowed on the roads (lowest ever score in ENCAP crash tests for MPVs) or why lots of Dodges and Chryslers sold in EU are much below European quality standards :|

Because they're made in Poland, maybe? The ones made in the USA (Chrysler) don't fare much better in quality either.

Avalanche
March 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I don't believe that cars legally sold in Europe would need to be any better safety-wise to be approved for the US market. Maybe it was true in the times that Yugo Florida was imported there but not any more.

Have a look here, the Trans Sport wasn't THAT bad as this:
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_2007/277.aspx
And here's the US test result:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=8
Are the standards lower or the lobby stronger? ;)

OK, there is ONE car that fared quite well - the Caliber.

On a side note, the cars made in Poland are among the best put together vehicles in Europe (Fiat Panda, Opel Zafira, Opel Astra, Ford Ka, Fiat 500)

Thirty-Nine
March 11th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I bet the next gen Jimny will reach US shores when the time comes.

Not to be a negative Nelly, but I highly doubt it. (Although, I'd LOVE to see it and would buy one in a heartbeat)

automat
March 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM
I got some news about the swift, wanna hear it?

well... I was told to forget about it :( and to start dreaming about a jimny :D

the jimny thing is speculating, but it comes from a VERY good source. I was told to expect a smaller-tha-actual-GV mini suv. the jimny fits in the description

rubicon4wheeler
March 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
well... I was told to forget about it :( and to start dreaming about a jimny :D

the jimny thing is speculating, but it comes from a VERY good source. I was told to expect a smaller-tha-actual-GV mini suv. the jimny fits in the description

If it has solid axles and a low-range 4x4 transfer case, I'll be buying one!

Thirty-Nine
March 22nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
If it has solid axles and a low-range 4x4 transfer case, I'll be buying one!

I'd say both are highly unlikely. I'd say you'd be more likely to get a low-range transfer case than the SFA. Regardless, I'd like mine in a manual transmission, please (which likely won't happen either). Ah, us lunatic fringe types ... never happy. :-)

rubicon4wheeler
March 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'd say both are highly unlikely. I'd say you'd be more likely to get a low-range transfer case than the SFA. Regardless, I'd like mine in a manual transmission, please (which likely won't happen either). Ah, us lunatic fringe types ... never happy. :-)

There's no reason to castrate the Jimny with independent suspension, automatic transmissions, and single-speed transfer cases. People love/crave/respect the Jimny for what it is: the smallest truly off-road 4x4 you can get. People don't buy a vehicle like this for its smooth ride; if that's what they wanted, they'd get a Lexus. The Jimny/Samurai has never been (nor ever should be) anything but a smaller, more-efficient, better-built alternative to the porky Jeep Wrangler and Land Rover Defender. If someone wants a cushy, fuel-efficient car with AWD, they'd buy an SX4 or Grand Vitara. If they want something with real off-road ability, they'd buy a Jimny or a Wrangler.

Suzuki isn't going to get ahead in life if they keep offering "me too" cars and faux-by-fours. The Jimny/Samurai was a sales success because it wasn't pretending to be anything but what it was. Toyota already sold out the FJ-series Land Cruiser reputation with the grocery-getter FJ Cruiser - let's hope Suzuki doesn't do the same with the Samurai/Jimny.

Die trying
March 22nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
people want the swift too but suzuki doesn't care. We as consumers are practically beating down the doors of a manufacturer asking for a product and the manufacturer doesn't give a turtle squirt. when i hear crap like this it makes me regret my purchase. maybe i should have bought a mitsubishi instead. when consumers lamented mitsubishi's decission to cancel the EVO mitsubishi responded by announcing a future evo replacement. when suzuki consumers ask for the freakin privlidge to purchase an existing product that was designed to meed the demands of our market we get a deaf ear and a blind eye. you can tell your very good source that if you like but I doubt they care either.

March 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
^ A running problem has been the yen's relationship to the dollar. The dollar is currently at its weakest value against the yen in 15 years, which makes it difficult to price Japanese-built economy models competitively here. (Honda, Toyota and Nissan maintain North American plants and suppliers mainly to avoid this problem.) As the Swift would be a new launch, there would also be the costs of certification, initial marketing, dealer orientation, etc.

My sense is that Suzuki is waiting for a better overall climate -- stronger dollar, stronger American subsidiary, stronger dealer network -- for the Swift to debut in.

Thirty-Nine
March 28th, 2011, 11:08 AM
There's no reason to castrate the Jimny with independent suspension, automatic transmissions, and single-speed transfer cases. People love/crave/respect the Jimny for what it is: the smallest truly off-road 4x4 you can get. People don't buy a vehicle like this for its smooth ride; if that's what they wanted, they'd get a Lexus. The Jimny/Samurai has never been (nor ever should be) anything but a smaller, more-efficient, better-built alternative to the porky Jeep Wrangler and Land Rover Defender. If someone wants a cushy, fuel-efficient car with AWD, they'd buy an SX4 or Grand Vitara. If they want something with real off-road ability, they'd buy a Jimny or a Wrangler.

Suzuki isn't going to get ahead in life if they keep offering "me too" cars and faux-by-fours. The Jimny/Samurai was a sales success because it wasn't pretending to be anything but what it was. Toyota already sold out the FJ-series Land Cruiser reputation with the grocery-getter FJ Cruiser - let's hope Suzuki doesn't do the same with the Samurai/Jimny.

I understand your point. A solid axle (or any axle) Jimny would be a niche-market vehicle here (and probably is everywhere else). I think the Wrangler does well because of its heritage. You could probably go back to a leaf-spring CJ5 and people would still buy the crap out of it. However, American Suzuki would probably rather forget about the BS spewed about their Samurai. The Jimny would be the only SFA vehicle on the market sans the Wrangler and Super Duty/HD pickups. I just don't see the American public scooping them up. They probably wouldn't sell 1,000 a year, IMHO. I know it's negative sounding, but I just don't see it happening due to the fact that 99% of the auto makers out there have to sell volume to make money on inexpensive vehicles.

You know that I'd buy one, I'd wheel it, I'd love it. However, I don't think that they could move enough units at a reasonable price for it to happen. However, I'd be the first to admit I'm wrong if they bring it.

rubicon4wheeler
March 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I just don't see the American public scooping them up. They probably wouldn't sell 1,000 a year, IMHO. I know it's negative sounding, but I just don't see it happening due to the fact that 99% of the auto makers out there have to sell volume to make money on inexpensive vehicles.
At its peak, Suzuki was selling Samurais in the United States at a rate of 80,000 per year. Even in its last year of availability here (1995) when demand had completely dried up, Suzuki sold more than you're estimating. I can't believe that Suzuki would struggle to sell only 1,000 per year of a much more comfortable, refined vehicle in today's $4.00/gallon of gas marketplace.

A Jimny would be very inexpensive to produce compared to a car such as the Swift or SX4 - even with import duties, which the old Samurai also had to contend with. The simple solid axles and body-on-frame chassis are much more affordable to produce than independent suspension and a unibody chassis. By using a volume engine such as the one in the Swift or SX4 or Kizashi, not only would they be more affordable to produce than a Samurai-specific engine, but economy of scale would bring the per-unit cost down for the Swift or SX4 or Kizashi or whatever other vehicle shares its engine. And don't forget that the Jimny is sold all around the world; Suzuki wouldn't just be selling 1,000 or 80,000 Samurai's per year in the United States, they sell hundreds of thousands per year all around the world. All Suzuki needs to do is to take U.S. emissions and crash standards into consideration when designing the next-generation model. A nouveau-Samurai would be inexpensive, practical, and fun just like the original Samurai was. Suzuki ought to cash in on what they know is a successful formula.

Grimlock1973
March 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I completely agree with Thirty-Nine. If Suzuki decided to bring the Jimney to the US it wouldn't sell worth crap. Suzuki has a tough enough time trying to sell the Kizashi, Grand Vitara, Equator, and Sx4 right now.

My opinion is for Suzuki to concentrate on the models they have now by aggressively marketing and advertising AND to refresh the Grand Vitara and Sx4. My wife would love the Grand Vitara to come with a V6 again and a dedicated back up camera intergrated with a OEM built in nav system.

Updated FYI: Elmhurst IL Suzuki dealership completely closed their doors last week and now is just another empty car lot... Suzuki BETTER have something up their sleeves for the NY auto show..

TomC
March 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Updated FYI: Elmhurst IL Suzuki dealership completely closed their doors last week and now is just another empty car lot..

This sh*t is happening at an alarming rate all over the country.
Not good :(

Grimlock1973
March 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yep. The Elmhurst dealership went through 3 separate owners and couldn't find the profit it needed to keep the lights on. Luckily, I found a better dealership in Glenview Suzuki and have been taking my business there.

I am sorry to say but I don't think the Swift, Jimney, or any other model will be the "Savior" car for Suzuki USA. They touted that the Kizashi would pull them out of their slump and it hasn't. I am not trying to be negative or pessimistic but facts are the facts.

All of the friends, family, and corporate clients that I tried to steer towards Suzuki all have bought other brands because of their concern with so many closed dealerships or lack of dealerships in the country.

Suzuki has great solid vehicles that no one knows about or cares about due to their poor dealer network and lack of serious advertisements. You do not see Kia or Hyundai making stupid commercials about racing a couch or running over banana peels! Just my 2 cents. I am very frustrated at all the sales efforts I have tried with my network of friends, family, and clients.

They have all stated that the Kizashi, Grand Vitara, and Sx4 are great cars but they will not buy due to the dealership issues we all know of. You can have the greatest product in the world but without people knowing about it or the back end support no one will ever be sold or buy...

redzuki
March 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
i am in chicagoland too. ray suzuki is a strong dealership, i would have bought mine there but i found the car (2009 xover touring) i wanted for $1k less at experience suzuki in north aurora, another strong dealership. i think these two will be okay. i hope so anyway. i plan to use ray for any warranty work i may need as they are closer to where i live, i will go to experience if i have to. it is also good to know glenview is good. when i was test driving cars at ray they actually had people from out of state there buying a SX4, they also advertise they will pick you up at ohare airport if you come in to buy from out of state. they have a decent inventory of new and used suzukis.

Grimlock1973
March 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I've been to Ray Suzuki a few times but settled with Glenview Suzuki based on their sevice dept and there sales reps. Ray Suzuki has a very old and small service bay and they were servicing a lot of chevys with only 1 mechanic.

Glenview Suzuki used to be Saturn dealership and it looks like Advantage Suzuki in North Aurora used to be as well.

redzuki
March 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM
maybe its a good thing they were servicing chevys in the suzuki service dept... goes to show maybe not a lot of suzuki need service??!! good news, ray suzuki/chevy is rebuilding, supposedly a really nice building with state of the art service dept. we shall see!

yes experience suzuki used to sell saturns. apparently the owner bent over backward and jumped thru hoops to get a suzuki dealership, he seems pretty committed to it.

we can only hope it all work out for suzuki. my opinion is they need to seriously consider opening a mfg plant here....

Grimlock1973
March 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I agree on the mfg plant in the US but I don't think the ultra conservative execs in Japan will. I also think Suzuki USA needs better management ASAP! The current team isn't doing squat to increase sales or presence here. When Ray Suzuki's new facility is up and running I drop in to say hello. Brian, the service manager there is a great guy..

Die trying
March 29th, 2011, 04:09 PM
There are two new suzuki models to debut at the NY auto show. One is a new kizashi, probably a turbo. (Thanks to rrm!) The other model is a mystery. Swift? Jimney? Splash? Maybe a turbo sx4? The people who know arent talking.

petrex
March 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
when is the auto show?

punksmurph
March 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM
There are two new suzuki models to debut at the NY auto show. One is a new kizashi, probably a turbo. (Thanks to rrm!) The other model is a mystery. Swift? Jimney? Splash? Maybe a turbo sx4? The people who know arent talking.

I don't think the Turbo Kizashi will be anything more than a show piece and some more great advertisement for RRM, if that is what they do. Personally I think the other car will be some wild concept that produces exactly ZERO for us. I know it will not be the super small Splash, the Yen is killing the Dollar so not the Swift, ha like Suzuki even cares to bring the Jimney (no way it will pass safety here in the US) and if the "concept" is some sort of performance SX4 it will be based on the Sportback (boo FWD).

I will happily eat my words and buy a 5 door Swift if it hits market.

rubicon4wheeler
March 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM
ha like Suzuki even cares to bring the Jimney (no way it will pass safety here in the US).
If Suzuki has designed the next-generation Jimny with U.S. crash standards in mind, there's no way it won't "pass safety" here. Quite to the contrary, it will be rather easy to do so, since a body-on-frame truck has a much more stout chassis than a unibody car. If the Smart can be engineered to meet federal crash standards, then the Jimny most certainly can. And with modern antilock brakes, electronic stability control, and rollover mitigation, the Jimny would have no problem defeating even Consumer Reports' greatest efforts to disparage the brand again.

Thirty-Nine
March 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
If Suzuki has designed the next-generation Jimny with U.S. crash standards in mind, there's no way it won't "pass safety" here. Quite to the contrary, it will be rather easy to do so, since a body-on-frame truck has a much more stout chassis than a unibody car. If the Smart can be engineered to meet federal crash standards, then the Jimny most certainly can. And with modern antilock brakes, electronic stability control, and rollover mitigation, the Jimny would have no problem defeating even Consumer Reports' greatest efforts to disparage the brand again.

I was just thinking the same thing about the Smart.

Regardless of what these debuts are, I truly hope they're production-bound vehicles, and not just a styling exercise. I'd love to have some big new from "The Big S"!