PDA

View Full Version : gps housing question

Lugnutz
March 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'be been kicking around ideas on how to mount a ham radio in my sx4 and got to thinking about the gps housing. I need some info on the size of it, as in how wide and deep it is. I need internal depth and internal width to see if a faceplate from a ham radio will actually fit. Most face plates are 5.5" wide ( talking left to right ) and I'm almost thinking this plan sounds too good to be true. I can't tell from pics for sure but the opening doesn't appear to be more than 4 or 5 inches across. The depth isn't to critical as most faceplates are about 1.5 inches thick.

Thanks,
Rick

Lugnutz
March 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/mobile/2820h/ProductImages.aspx

Bottom pic shows best what I'm trying to stuff into the housing

while this head unit is large, it gives you an idea what I am wanting to mount in the gps housing. Couldn't find a good pic quick of the actual unit I want to get.
The rest of the radio would be mounted below the drivers seat.

Duff
March 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I dont know what your american stereos are like but the european stereos have a double din front but the actual radio itself is single din so that would give you space to mount the brain of that ham radio meaning that you only need to find somewhere for the face plate.

a3dstorm
March 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Forget it. The GPS housing is only 4 7/8'' wide x 3'' high x 2'' deep. Nothing bigger than an ipod would fit in it. It's just a small plastic cover with very little space to accommodate anything bigger than a deck of card. It's not a drive bay ! Besides it is a very weak piece of plastic and ham radio would probably break it apart if it was attach to it in any way. If I were you I would mount it under the glove box or start hacking the the empty slots under the heater and try to fit it in there.

Lugnutz
March 4th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Duff I have an aftermarket stereo, which created a storage slot below the radio but it only measures out at about 1.25 inches, just a bit shy for anything other than my chew can a pack of gum and some speeding tickets. The brain of the radio is going below the drivers seat I think.

a3dstorm, thanks for the size refferance. I think it would have worked nicely had it only been bigger. The faceplate of the ham radio wouldn't be enough weight to worry about as the bulk of the radio will be below deck under my hind end. I'm avoiding the storage under the heater controls, its big enough for a whole radio but past experience has taught me that it is a bit low to make viewing the display a safe operation while driving. Although if I were to mount just the faceplate in the opening I may be able to angle it upwards which would help out a lot.

I'm going to check on some of those jointed suction cup mounts, that triangle window by the windshield might be a possible spot to work with.

Thanks again for the info on the housing size.

Rick