PDA

View Full Version : 2011(?) SX4 Crossover Question

FolkEngineer
February 19th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hi all, I'm new around here and preparing to purchase a new SX4 Crossover after my tax return comes in. I've been looking forward to it for a couple months now, but I just went and looked about at the new model year Suzukis today and have a question.

I recall seeing videos about the rear seats in the crossover being able to fold and then flip forward giving you this giant flat area in the back. The sales guy at my local dealership (new guy, saturday afternoon) seemed to think that the seats didn't flip forward anymore and just folded down. I was just kicking tires and couldn't fiddle with the seat for a second, but I didn't find the little button for clicking them forward.

Does anyone know if this feature has been deleted for the new model year SX4s? Its not a deal breaker by any means, just something really cool I'd hoped to have.

Thanks all.

Caterham
February 19th, 2011, 06:43 PM
First, welcome aboard. I believe your sales guy is right. It's a nice feature on my '08. It is still a great car.

02C2
February 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM
To flip up, its a pull strap towards the middle/back at the base (in my 08), not sure if it's canned in the newer ones.

Welcome to the club! You should have gone for a test drive!

FolkEngineer
February 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the quick response all! Whether this car has the seats or not isn't gonna really affect my decision to buy, thats already been made more or less. I was amazed by the amount of room this thing has in it for such a small car. I was sold when I read AWD, 150hp and 2860lbs. I wanted an AWD sports car and this thing is both the lightest and the cheapest (by FAR) vehicle to fit that bill. I was just hoping that feature had stuck around, didn't see a reason for the company to get rid of it.

About the only reason I can think of to delete it would've been some sort of issue with how it held up during a crash.

02C2
February 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM
not sure why, probably $$ savings is my guess. Any pics of wrecked SX4s I've seen, rolls and the likes the cabin holds up amazingly well. Barely a scratch to the drivers.

The SX4 isn't the fastest car on the road, but its still a BLAST to drive! AWD makes corners lots of fun on dry or snow (though you'll probably want to swap out the stock tires) Almost 3 years later and I still smile when I get behind the wheel of my little car. Usually, for me, that feeling normally only lasts a couple months.

FolkEngineer
February 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I'm looking forward to my test drive, thats for sure. I'm not expecting it to set any new standards in a straight line, but thats okay since most of my driving isn't in a straight line anyways, its a mountains backroad highway. I am mulling some mods down the line, but the bottom line is that this thing weighs as much as a Mini Cooper (not S) WITH AWD installed. Its about as unique a combination of small, sporty, fun, flickable car and off-road capability as you can find. I got tired of walking up my driveway for three months during the winter....it'll be nice to have something that will climb it again.

sx4inlv
February 20th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Fold flat stopped in 09. Now you need to fold them forward and to have purchased the hard cargo luggage cover. I'll see if I can find a thread on the 2010+ cargo cover. It is VERY different then the 07-09 cover.

redzuki
February 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM
They sell a cargo cover to give you a flat space;

http://bit.ly/hB8ajR

You then have a secret compartment under it ;)

FolkEngineer
February 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Well, thats not exactly how I envisioned it, but that cargo cover looks pretty handy. At the risk of being called goofy for using it like this, my main source of heat is wood in the winter. I don't have to carry it too far to get to my house, but I do have to carry it over terrain from where I cut it to the front porch. It would be nice to have another car (this one) that I could use on short jaunts when its cold to haul just a couple sticks and replenish my stores.

Before some question the wisdom of this, I'm not hauling a quarter ton of the stuff, just a little that I couldn't otherwise get to on my property when it snows. I've got a plastic box thing (couple feet by couple feet by 2 ft high w load gate) that I can put on that flat surface and it should work perfectly. I'm so very excited about this thing, I was convinced before I found the SX4 that I would need a car and light truck. This thing truly could be the most well rounded car ever.

Thanks all for the help, and thanks Red for the link.

redzuki
February 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
i haul horse grain in mine, i can put 250 lbs back there (5 bags) and the suspension barely sinks. No way in my old jetta, i'd be dragging tailpipe home. Logs and sticks will be no problem, it will be just a matter of figuring out how you want to do it. Either you can fold the rear seat and throw a tarp down, or get the deck and use your box if it fits. They also sell a rubber cargo mat that you may find useful.

This also might be a good idea to consider, I have also been thinking about installing a hitch on mine and getting one of these;
http://bit.ly/gYpDkM