PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Redux

The Jesuit
February 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I'v heard some "rumblings" that Suzuki will bring back their Samurai in a longer wheel base, wider stance, wider body, hardtop, with 4 doors, J-20 engine, all while retaining that boxy shape, round headlight Jeep like look we all once knew and loved.

Jack Straw
February 18th, 2011, 04:58 AM
isn't j20 getting a little long in the tooth?

TimeBandit
February 18th, 2011, 05:53 AM
That's the same thing my local dealer has been hinting to me about since I bought my car... I hope it's true!

rubicon4wheeler
February 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
OMG I hope it's true!!! Could someone at Suzuki really have come to their senses again after all these years?!?! My friends and I have money burning a hole in our pockets! We don't want to buy a Jeep Wrangler (in part because it's too big, too thirsty, and too poorly engineered) but at this point, it's the only game in town for anyone who wants a proper dual-solid-axle on/off-road runabout. With fuel prices about to skyrocket again, Suzuki will have another hit on their hands if they bring back the Samurai/Jimny to North America.

But they shouldn't bother if they plan to castrate it. The Grand Vitara has proven what kind of demand there is for an oversize, thirsty, soft, low-clearance, independent-suspension faux-by-four. If the Jimny/Samurai is going to succeed, it needs to continue to be what it has always been: small, tough, efficient, and true off-road abilities. Solid axles and a 2-speed transfer case are absolute requirements. Difflocks and 4:1 t-case gears (like the Wrangler's Rubicon package) will firmly establish Suzuki's reputation as a builder of high-quality, heavy-duty vehicles, and would be a huge moneymaker just like the Rubicon is.

Ronzuki
February 18th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I dumped the Rubicon for the Kizashi...that cinched it, the new 'samuarai' will be out next year because I spent my money already!

Die trying
February 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM
yep, i bought my 09 and then next thing i knew the '10s were coming out with vvt, more hp, and another gear. i stave off buyer's remorse by telling myself i have the best year for the 1st gen sx4's.

Mascman
February 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I would personally want a 2 door soft top just like the original!

A vehicle like that would seem cheap for them to mfg. and if they kept it affordable they would sell a ton.

Ronzuki
February 22nd, 2011, 04:49 AM
agreed, just as they did in 87 & 88.

Thirty-Nine
February 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Can you give a source for this info?

mcmuda
February 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM

+1

I'd love to see this rumor to take form next year. I want a Samurai

TimeBandit
February 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM

Source = Heresay, so far...

a3dstorm
February 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Isn't there a way for americans to import a slightly used Jimny ?
In Canada I see imported cars all the time, cars from France, UK, Italy, Japan like the original Nissan skyline all the time I see a ton of those. Even saw a tiny Suzuki Pickup, that looked really weird for how small it was compared to north American pickups.
Even if the steering is on the wrong side they are still legal here ?
I'd like to buy a Samurai myself if it was available locally. I remember trying to follow a samurai through a muddy and water filled trail in '92 with my 1991 Jeep Sahara YJ ( called wrangler in the US I think). I got stuck and the little samurai pulled me out with his winch. It was quite an humbling experience. I never had a chance to own one but a friend of mine had one in college and I loved riding in that little thing. Rugged little beast.

flipside
February 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM

I have seen a few skylines in TO as well. I have driven a Mercedes (not mine) where the steering is on the "wrong" side here. It gave me the scare of my life. At first it did not seem to matter until I have to make a left hand turn on a major intersection and a truck was on the left hand turn from the oncoming traffic. No visibility at all on the oncoming traffic to complete the left turn.

soslow
March 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
yep, i bought my 09 and then next thing i knew the '10s were coming out with vvt, more hp, and another gear. i stave off buyer's remorse by telling myself i have the best year for the 1st gen sx4's.

Looks like with the Price cutting that came along in '11 the '10 are going to be the best SX4 ever. Who wants to touch me? :p

jr40490
March 7th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Looks like with the Price cutting that came along in '11 the '10 are going to be the best SX4 ever. Who wants to touch me? :p
+1 to that

The Jesuit
March 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Isn't there a way for americans to import a slightly used Jimny ?
In Canada I see imported cars all the time, cars from France, UK, Italy, Japan like the original Nissan skyline all the time I see a ton of those. Even saw a tiny Suzuki Pickup, that looked really weird for how small it was compared to north American pickups.
I'd like to buy a Samurai myself if it was available locally. I remember trying to follow a samurai through a muddy and water filled trail in '92 with my 1991 Jeep Sahara YJ ( called wrangler in the US I think). I got stuck and the little samurai pulled me out with his winch. It was quite an humbling experience. I never had a chance to own one but a friend of mine had one in college and I loved riding in that little thing. Rugged little beast.

That would have never happened had it been a proper Jeep....those square headlamps were the culprit.