PDA

View Full Version : Everlasting Jimny

Avalanche
February 18th, 2011, 01:21 AM
It's the oldest car in Suzuki lineup. It hasn't been updated in any major sense since my daughter was born (a 10th grader now).
Its lack of the top safety features put it at the end of every list (2 airbags, ABS and that's it was good in mid 90s).
Its briefcase-sized boot and the tight squeeze interior deter lots of customers.

And yet.

And yet it sells very well when fall turns into winter, year by year, outselling the bigger sister (Grand Vitara). Like nobody cared for the drawbacks.

I am not saying it should be dropped.

Suzuki,
Make it a tad bigger, put some more features as options (off-road folks know it well - the less you got there on deck, the better), fit a new engine and let it live on.
:)

To make it more news-like:
http://autospecifications.blogspot.com/2010/12/2012-maruti-suzuki-jimny-in-india.html

Ronzuki
February 18th, 2011, 05:19 AM
It appears India is geting a 4-door version....that's a tad bigger!

automat
February 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
make it a tad bigger, call it a grand vitara, and see your sales numbers drop.

who cares what car journalists have to say when they review a car if it sells well?

Avalanche
February 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I like it the way it is. Speaking of size I just wish it was maybe 5" wider and 10" longer, but no 4-door appliances please.

As a German mag winter car test shows Jimny is still in the top ranks :)

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/allradler-im-winter-haertetest-1553736.html

Results:
10. BMW X3
9. Subaru Forester
8. VW Touareg
7. Kia Sportage (with a Magna 4WD system)
6. VW Amarok truck
5. Dacia Duster
4. Mini Countryman Turbo
3. Suzuki Jimny 1.3
2. Audi Q5
1. Toyota Land Cruiser J15

TimeBandit
February 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
The 1.3 liter motor in the Jimny looks nearly the same as the 1.3 that was in my '87 Samurai. That little motor is pretty amazing. Even with larger, heavier tires (granted the transfer case gears weren't stock) I could still do 70 mph, although it took a little to get there.

With a newer clean diesel motor in there, that thing would be unstoppable! I agree that a little larger, wider, and maybe four doors would be nice (or even some hidden four doors that could be opened after the front door was opened (like the Honda Element). Although my Samurai could easily fit four adults, the two doors could get annoying sometimes.

rubicon4wheeler
February 18th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Suzuki offers the Jimny here in the U.S. with a proper pair of solid axles and a low-range transfer case, I will not buy one, I will buy TWO - one as my fuel efficient daily driver, and the other as a big-tired, hardcore rockcrawler. And I know of at least 3 more that will be purchased within my immediate circle of friends.

After getting t-boned by a speeder, my sister replaced her totaled Jimny with a 2nd one (she lives in England - I'm so jealous she gets to own one). That little truck saved her life in spite of a hard enough side impact to roll her over, and she was unhurt. The only vehicle she wanted to replace it with was another Jimny.